Hurricane Irma

2 hours ago, saunders45 said:

Been talking with my dad a bunch. He was a meteorologist in the air force, and did tracking when he was in Hawaii. He thinks we should be ok where we are. I'm leaning towards riding it out, we're well supplied, 30 miles inland, and 30 feet above sea level.

Better get all your meat smokin' done by Saturday afternoon. And I'll assume by "well supplied" that the booze is already handled.

I plan on BBQ'ing tomorrow and watching football. i'm stocked on bourbon, but went full redneck and bought some Yuengling light... in a can. Because why not!

As for the wind, the local meteorologists think that if it keeps the current track, the hurricane force winds should be reduced substantially by the time it gets to us, so hopefully it does go right up the gut. The worst thing at this point, would be for it to track farther west and go up the coast.

That would be bad.

• Plus1 2

59 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

Actually, i kinda like it. It's not trash like Natty light or Busch, but I'm more of a Hefeweizen guy. Still, I figured getting it in cans would make me fit in.

Cans are supposedly better than bottles for preserving beer. You're also supposed to pour it into a glass instead of drinking from the can. YMMV

That is not the first I've heard or seen that type of thing about the Red Cross. I have my doubts about how efficient they are considering the huge amounts of money they collect.

We had terrible flooding here a few years (5+/-) ago and it sure seems to me that local businesses etc. provided more relief than the Red Cross did. They were big on putting up signs and advertising how much they were doing but when the rubber met the road, I'd be hard pressed to tell you they did very much. Maybe they helped behind the scenes and I didn't see it.....

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

What's happening with the Red Cross?  Lots of people said not to give money to the Red Cross in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, and I thought that was curious.  Today I see this from Pro Publica:

I hadn't heard of them not showing up - what I do know is that from a charity standpoint, their record is that MUCH more than normal goes into the pockets of leadership.  And it's been well reported that funds raised for particular events (i.e. Hati, Irma etc) don't necessarily go to that event.