I guess we are over Tanner Lee

Huskerfan55

13 hours ago, girlknowsfootball said:

I watched Lee's game, Horningbrook's game, the USC QB's game and then Dak Prescott for the cowboys all in one day. Lee is not ready for the NFL. There is no comparison to his accuracy and Dak's or Eli Manning's. Even Sam's at USC is way above Tanmer's. 

i also made another observation. It is really hard to win college football games with a pro style, immobile QB who sits in the pocket, unless you have all American offensive linemen and some very good, big, wide receivers. Otherwise he needs to throw short, quick, slant passes that tear into a zone because an offense designed to need 3 seconds in the pocket to go through read progressions and wait for plays to develop is going to get him sacked and throwing the ball away over and over again. 

excellent insight

13 hours ago, girlknowsfootball said:

I watched Lee's game, Horningbrook's game, the USC QB's game and then Dak Prescott for the cowboys all in one day. Lee is not ready for the NFL. There is no comparison to his accuracy and Dak's or Eli Manning's. Even Sam's at USC is way above Tanmer's. 

i also made another observation. It is really hard to win college football games with a pro style, immobile QB who sits in the pocket, unless you have all American offensive linemen and some very good, big, wide receivers. Otherwise he needs to throw short, quick, slant passes that tear into a zone because an offense designed to need 3 seconds in the pocket to go through read progressions and wait for plays to develop is going to get him sacked and throwing the ball away over and over again. 

An observation Ive made regarding strong performances from "New" QBs, college or NFL.

Carr, Dak, Wentz recently in Nfl; and D'Arnold, Jackson, Browning in college were young QBs who were able to showcase their talent because they were put behind an already established O-line (it took an extra year for Carr, though).

Its been proven that you need to establish your line before you implement your pro style offense.

As stated on here and in regards to statue QB's, it seems to be a bad offense for our current set-up. We have short, speedy receivers that could catch quick passes, but Langs and Riley choose deception and mid to deep passes. Lee is my least favorite style of college QB; immobile and not very accurate. I don't miss Armstrong, but give me him or T-magic with our current o-line pass protection. Lee will get better and seems like a great kid, but this system might be too complex for most college QB's. 

I went back through the Oregon game this morning (really busy at work right now), and watched all the passes from Lee.  Here are my thoughts:

Positives

-- he does have a very strong arm, which enables him to makes some passes that we haven't seen many NU QB's can make.  I can see why NFL scouts love his arm.

-- he is able to fit the ball into some tight spaces

-- if he is able to go with his initial read, he makes very confident, decisive, and strong passes

Negatives

-- he struggles with passes to his left, as he steps sideways and leaves his hips open.  This causes his passes to the left to float and be inaccurate, especially deep passes to the left..  The INT on the first play of the game was a perfect example of this.  The ball floated, was underthrown which caused Morgan to almost stop to come back to the ball.  The CB got back into Morgan's vision, and the ball bounced off his face mask and into the safety's hands.  If that ball is thrown more on a line, the safety doesn't even get to the ball to make the INT.  I would expect teams to roll coverage to the right and try to force him to make throws to the left.

-- his misses on throws are high.  High passes are passes that tend to get intercepted.

-- when he is forced to come off his initial read, he is not as confident with the pass

-- he is a complete statue with slow feet.  His play action footwork seems to be slow, and he hasn't shown the ability to slide and get away from pressure.  There has been no indication from the play calls that they can call designed runs for him.  For as much criticism that TA and TM got for their poor footwork, Lee deserves some criticism as well.

I am sure my notes won't be very surprising based on the Oregon game.  I know that he didn't have game action for nearly 2 years, but if the success of the offense is going to be very dependent on him, he will need to make improvements.  He has raw ability and looks like he would be a great QB if everything is great around him.  But he needs to show more consistency, better footwork, and better decision making.

• Plus1 3