Small WR's

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I feel like last year they gave offers to anyone over 6'3" regardless of star ranking.... just nobody signed 

The coaches tried real hard last year to get a big bodied guy who could come in and help us. Joe Lewis went to USC and Bryan Thompson went to Utah. Those are the 2 that come to mind. The coaches realize they need big bodies on the outside to help out the speed/slot guys on the inside. 

6 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Taller WRs are a luxury no doubt, especially in red zone.

In my opinion, WRs have probably the smallest effect on wins and losses of any offensive or defensive position group. So, I would like our recruiting efforts to be focused elsewhere. Namely, offensive line.

Except when they are dropping balls in the end zone 

9 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Taller WRs are a luxury no doubt, especially in red zone.

In my opinion, WRs have probably the smallest effect on wins and losses of any offensive or defensive position group. So, I would like our recruiting efforts to be focused elsewhere. Namely, offensive line.

Except when they are dropping balls in the end zone 

11 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

but apparently our WR coach is awesome and a great recruiter. Morgan JR needs to be awarded a medal because he was our only offensive threat yesterday.

I'm thinking that our WR coach is a lot of hype, as well. Morgan was targeted 16 times against Oregon. That tells me he's the initial read for Lee on most plays, and Lee is not moving off that read on most passes. 

• Plus1 3

30 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm thinking that our WR coach is a lot of hype, as well. Morgan was targeted 16 times against Oregon. That tells me he's the initial read for Lee on most plays, and Lee is not moving off that read on most passes. 

What a surprise, a player/coach with a lot of hype yet no production out of Nebraska. Unfortunately this has been the case in most cases for the past 17 years. Time to put action in front of words.

5 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

BTW, we have the type of WRs Riley likes. The small quick guys. In fact this year, we have the prototype players for Riley's offense, the same offense he ran at Oregon State. We have a prototype NFL QB in Lee, and small WRs just like he did with Rogers and co back in Corvallis.

But, is that the prototype to be successful?

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But, is that the prototype to be successful?

Apparently not. We were all told "Just wait until he gets his guys at Nebraska. He did a good job at Oregon State and now he has better resources at Nebraska, just wait." Heck, Look back to my posts just prior to Saturdays game and I was saying the same thing. But here is the deal. Riley is an incredibly nice guy (shocker) I am proud to have him represent a football program I love so much because he's a genuinely really good guy. I want him to do well because he is so likeable and it would also mean great years for Nebraska.

But I am starting to think Riley was brought in for the perception of the program. It wasn't about wins or championships, it was about doing the same as Bo, but just in a more likeable way. it was a rebuilding process for the image of the football program and not a rebuilding process for the production of the football program.

In year 3 it is completely unexcusable to lose the way we did to Oregon who is coming off a 4-8 year and under a first year head coach. Why is it that Nebraska takes 3 years to "rebuild" and a program like Oregon can suddenly rebuild in year 1? Why is it that year 3 in Riley's offense that Oregons defense, who was one of the worst defenses last year come out and create turnovers and hold Nebraska's offense to only 14 first half points? We are being sold Diaco's D is a new scheme and it will take time for players to get use to it and learn it. Well, Oregon is in game 2 of their new defensive coordinator and they shut us down in the first half and when it mattered most in the second half.

We will win 8, 9 games this year just like Bo would have, but in a more likeable and more respectful way. We aren't going to be winning any championships soon and we aren't even going to be winning the B1G West anytime soon. Wisconsin owns this things and its pretty sad that we are predicted, before this season started, to finish third behind Northwester. Yes, Northwestern. Nebraska finishing behind Northwestern. What is wrong here? The expectations of this program and rightfully so, are to compete and win championships. At this point I'd just accept winning our divisional title when you look at who is in our division. But that isn't even the case.

We are in year 3. Yet considered to be rebuilding and told/sold to be patient and that good things are coming Nebraska's way. It is garbage. We will win 8-9 games this season, but we won't even be close to competing with the big programs, which is the same thing different year.

Side edit here; I love Nebraska football, always will, it is more then apart of my Fall Saturdays, it is apart of my life and childhood, I will continue to love Nebraska football regardless of their season because I take such great pride in the program and it's fans. My rants are just my opinion on things and I am sure others will have different opinions and I am not here to try and convince those of opposite opinions. At the end of the day we are all apart of this Big Red Family, which makes this fan base so incredibly great.

• Plus1 2
53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So, 3 years into the Riley experiment will yield a WR that will bring in other recruits? Talk about playing the long game. 

Well I was hoping it would have happened 2 years ago.  Morgan is just our best chance at the moment.  If I'm a top rec I'm not going to a school that isn't gonna get me the ball.  If Morgan gets 100+ rec and 1000 yrds that would likely be appealing to a recruit who thinks has at least the same talent as Morgan