Offense

Huskers44

I don't recall from earlier in the game what kind of running plays we were calling.  But well into the third quarter we were averaging more yards per running play than passing play and that's not even accounting for the two pick sixes.  Yet Langs was calling 65% passing plays.

After that, the running game didn't do as well.  But it's like Langs went brain dead.  It seemed like every single running play was a straight ahead give into the line.  Gone were all the counters and pulling that had worked well against Oregon.

I think he can design a pretty decent offense.  But I think he's a terrible play-caller.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't recall from earlier in the game what kind of running plays we were calling.  But well into the third quarter we were averaging more yards per running play than passing play and that's not even accounting for the two pick sixes.  Yet Langs was calling 65% passing plays.

After that, the running game didn't do as well.  But it's like Langs went brain dead.  It seemed like every single running play was a straight ahead give into the line.  Gone were all the counters and pulling that had worked well against Oregon.

I think he can design a pretty decent offense.  But I think he's a terrible play-caller.

I'm in favor of putting Langsdorf in a crate and shipping him to Canada.  Putting your already struggling QB in situation after situation to struggle more is about as smart as eating a bunch of Taco Bell then going to a bounce house.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I agree with everything you said except maybe the design a 'decent' offense part.  That ties in to his play calling deficiency though for me.  As a coach ultimately you have to give your players the best opportunity for success.  This is where he's failing/failed.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Without having a good offensive line and a commitment to run the ball, the offense becomes one dimensional, and pretty easy to stop.

Its about play tendencies. 

That NIU quote is very interesting when you think about it. He hasn't watched 3 years of tape on this offense, probably hasn't watched 3 games worth. He watched what someone prepared for him. 

Nebraska doesnt really run that many bubbles, but they are run out of very similar receiver splits....and he jumped that route with maximum conviction because he had to close a pretty considerable distance to make that play. That wasn't one of those interceptions where you're just in the general area.....someone showed him exactly what to look for in the presnap alignment.

3 hours ago, Huskers44 said:

And it's sad because most of us ordinary fans have called out a lot of that stuff Les just did. Honest question, if Les Miles was our coach would you be happy?

I would be.  He is knowledgeable.  A proven winner.  He'd have to get a rock solid OC to help him out.  Maybe not "meddle" with the O.  Get a great DC as well.  IMO, Miles is a great CEO who can recruit and is entertaining.  He likes power running and TE's.  Throw in FB as well.....He hasn't ben able to develop a QB.  Neither have we.  That's why I think a great OC is a must.  Would Troy Calhoun from AF come here as an OC?  Who knows.  He'd need a great DC as well.  He had them at LSU and did well.  His downfall was inability to get a QB...Overall record 142-55 including okie St and LSU....

I think fans would appreciate the smash mouth approach he likes.  Still would have some solid name recognition.  The way he was fired might not make him a "splash" hire, but at least no one would need to google his name....We could do a lot worse.

He is like 64 and stubborn.  Said he couldn't "evolve" LSU's offense.  Hence the reason for a sharp OC.  

33 minutes ago, brophog said:

Its about play tendencies. 

That NIU quote is very interesting when you think about it. He hasn't watched 3 years of tape on this offense, probably hasn't watched 3 games worth. He watched what someone prepared for him. 

Nebraska doesnt really run that many bubbles, but they are run out of very similar receiver splits....and he jumped that route with maximum conviction because he had to close a pretty considerable distance to make that play. That wasn't one of those interceptions where you're just in the general area.....someone showed him exactly what to look for in the presnap alignment.

I think that Les pointed that out (or maybe a local writer) that we did one play several times in a row with no attempt to "hide" it.  Langs is not a next level or offensive genius OC....

Like you mentioned above, NIU is excellently coached at all levels.  They knew what they were seeing and trusted their reads.  They were prepared and took advantage of a team that hasn't been for years.

If I could truly use one word to describe our teams identity it would be "unprepared".  Unprepared in all 3 phases, unprepared to adjust, unprepared to win, unprepared for wrinkles etc....

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I would be.  He is knowledgeable.  A proven winner.  He'd have to get a rock solid OC to help him out.  Maybe not "meddle" with the O.  Get a great DC as well.  IMO, Miles is a great CEO who can recruit and is entertaining.  He likes power running and TE's.  Throw in FB as well.....He hasn't ben able to develop a QB.  Neither have we.  That's why I think a great OC is a must.  Would Troy Calhoun from AF come here as an OC?  Who knows.  He'd need a great DC as well.  He had them at LSU and did well.  His downfall was inability to get a QB...Overall record 142-55 including okie St and LSU....

I think fans would appreciate the smash mouth approach he likes.  Still would have some solid name recognition.  The way he was fired might not make him a "splash" hire, but at least no one would need to google his name....We could do a lot worse.

He is like 64 and stubborn.  Said he couldn't "evolve" LSU's offense.  Hence the reason for a sharp OC.  

I agree all about this. I would be all for Les Miles, if he hires a good OC. Also, I think we could keep Parella, Williams, Williams, and Diaco. I honestly just want a coach who is a football genius. Riley doesn't seem like a football genius to me. I mean when I can call what play we are going to run before snap, that's bad. Our bubble screens and PA pass on 4th and long are just dumb and I saw coming honestly.