Hi, I'm Walksalone, and I'm a recovering Husker fan

walksalone

1 hour ago, unlfan said:

The worst part is this was all so predictable.

I can understand whiffing on a hire. It happens more often than not. However, I can still usually understand an argument for why the guy was hired. Maybe "he was a rock star coordinator ready to make the jump" Maybe "He won at a very high level albeit at a lower tier program" Maybe "he's a young, unproven head coach but has strong Nebraska ties and understands the culture here".

To this day, I have yet to hear one person articulate one decent reason for why Mike Riley was hired that I even understand, let alone agree with. The only thing I can conjure up is that he was the "anti Bo" personality wise. If that's your sole standard, let's call Pope Francis to see if he wants a multi million dollar contract to stand on our sideline.

At least with the Pope, we'd have a chance at divine intervention. And if he pulled off a miracle and won us a title, we'd call him Saint Francis, patron saint of Football, and Nebraska would be a Catholic state. 

16 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Don't know if you guys know this, but typically Mike Riley teams improve as the season goes on. Now last year that certainly didn't happen as we regressed and collapsed at the end of the year, but I could see this guy losing to Wisconsin and Ohio State, then going on a win streak and yes beating Penn State, and end the year on a hot note, leaving everyone thinking maybe next year will be better.

Seriously, I could see 7 wins coming this year, but coming in a way where he have a lot of momentum at the end of the season and it's enough to get one more year from him.

WooHooo!! Lets gun for that mythical, epic seven win season!  Way to go Mike!

My Wisconsin friend is gonna be like "Want some dip bro?"  And I'll be like, "Shutup, can't you see we are kicking to get our seventh win!!"  This is EVERYTHING!  

6 hours ago, unlfan said:

The worst part is this was all so predictable.

I can understand whiffing on a hire. It happens more often than not. However, I can still usually understand an argument for why the guy was hired. Maybe "he was a rock star coordinator ready to make the jump" Maybe "He won at a very high level albeit at a lower tier program" Maybe "he's a young, unproven head coach but has strong Nebraska ties and understands the culture here".

To this day, I have yet to hear one person articulate one decent reason for why Mike Riley was hired that I even understand, let alone agree with. The only thing I can conjure up is that he was the "anti Bo" personality wise. If that's your sole standard, let's call Pope Francis to see if he wants a multi million dollar contract to stand on our sideline.

Remember when he was hired and there were tons of college football writers saying how amazing it was and how Riley always does more with less and is so respected...fast forward 2 seasons and that stuff has all stopped.