Walk on program is failing?

soup

That's true, but that's not why we have fewer walk-ons. It's because it hasn't been a huge focus from any of our past three coaches (counting Riley) and because as @StPaulHusker pointed out, with the skyrocketing costs of tuition kids are taking scholarships from lesser schools.  Kids are simply less likely to pay to go to one school if they can attend another for free.

15 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The average year cost with fees at UNL in 1995-96 for a resident of Nebraska was $2,575.  For Non-resident it was $6,332

2017-18 it's $8,887 and $24,187 for resident/non respectively

So it's is no surprise that a kid would take a full ride to South Dakota St over walking on at UNL.

https://irads.unl.edu/dmdocuments/050_tuition_history.pdf

But we still turn away potential walkons.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a coach capping walk ons at around 40-50.  Stop acting like the next national championship is going to come if we have 200 players on the roster

I'm cornfused.  Before I could stop acting like that, I would first have to start acting like that.  

There's definitely nothing wrong with Riley capping walkons.  He's got more players on the roster than he can handle the way it is.

11 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

But we still turn away potential walkons.

No we don't. In fact, we still have open tryouts for the student body every year.  If a kid wanted to walk on, and didn't make the team, it's because he wasn't good enough.

Who has tried to walk on to the football team and been turned away?  I'd love to read that interview.

Just now, Isle of View said:

I'm cornfused.  Before I could stop acting like that, I would first have to start acting like that.  

There's definitely nothing wrong with Riley capping walkons.  He's got more players on the roster than he can handle the way it is.

Your sole purpose on this board is to s#!t on anything involving Mike Riley and mouth hug anything by Tom Osborne.  It's tiring

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

No we don't. In fact, we still have open tryouts for the student body every year.  If a kid wanted to walk on, and didn't make the team, it's because he wasn't good enough.

Who has tried to walk on to the football team and been turned away?  I'd love to read that interview.

You answered your own question.  Every Husker coach in history has turned away walkons based on various definitions of "good enough".

2 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

You answered your own question.  Every Husker coach in history has turned away walkons based on various definitions of "good enough".

Then it should be easy for you to tell us the names of one or two players that have been turned away.  Please do so, or admit you're (again) making something up.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Then it should be easy for you to tell us the names of one or two players that have been turned away.  Please do so, or admit you're (again) making something up.

Knapp-Just don't.  This is one of the people who have been banned.  I can't remember who exactly but they take what is said to the literal definition.

A walk on tried out but didn't make the team because they weren't good enough means the coach turned them away, in this person's eye

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Your sole purpose on this board is to s#!t on anything involving Mike Riley and mouth hug anything by Tom Osborne.  It's tiring

I thought this board had an ignore function?

Tom Osborne is the greatest coach in college football history and he's a Husker and this is a Husker discussion forum.  I'm a big fan of his, as are most Husker fans.  I like to discuss all kinds of stuff related to TO. 

Riley is the epitome of mediocrity.  In the last 60 years of Husker football, he's historically bad.  He happens to be a Husker, too.   So he gets discussed a lot on a Husker discussion board.  I have to be honest when I comment on him.  Sorry.

• Plus1 1