Walk on program is failing?

soup

20 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I was going to point out that he could make an immediate impact on the walkon program if he showed up at recruit's houses.  I'm not sure that is allowed though.

Only members of the coaching staff can recruit and visit players.  Tom Osborne named himself interim head coach in 2007 so he could visit recruits until Pelini came aboard, as Bo was finishing his time at LSU. 

I think the best thing the next coaching staff could do for the walk on program is to recruit better scholarship players. Its great when you have beasts like spencer long or andy janovich break through and become starters but there have been to many walkons forced into starting rolls because of lack of depth and talent.

Guys like hoppes, ketter, conrad ect are hard working and I'm sure great teammates but if Nebraska wants to compete for conference titles it needs more talented players.

• Plus1 3

This thread is blowing this comment out of proportion.  As someone said, he probably needed a simple list of what he wanted to accomplish and this happened to come to mind.

He DIDN'T say....

The walk-on program needs fixed.

The walk-on program is failing.

The walk-on program is somehow being disrespected or torn apart.

None of those things were said.

• Plus1 4

It's definitely people reading into what he said.

A lot of good points mentioned in this thread. The college football landscape is so different now. Leaning and/or relying on walk-ons just isn't really feasible in the way it used to be done. That doesn't mean we can't support the walk-ons and pull for the guys who end up playing and earning scholarships, of course.

The walk on program is suffering from lack of qualified walkons due to the changing demographics of Nebraska and the limit on number of players. 

Us old guys need to get used to the fact that we can no longer stockpile half the state on the sideline and other schools offering scholarships are more attractive.

On 9/26/2017 at 7:05 PM, LumberJackSker said:

I think the best thing the next coaching staff could do for the walk on program is to recruit better scholarship players. Its great when you have beasts like spencer long or andy janovich break through and become starters but there have been to many walkons forced into starting rolls because of lack of depth and talent.

Guys like hoppes, ketter, conrad ect are hard working and I'm sure great teammates but if Nebraska wants to compete for conference titles it needs more talented players.

according to the recruiting services we historically always have higher rated classes than both Iowa and Wisconsin, so that can't be the only issue

11 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

according to the recruiting services we historically always have higher rated classes than both Iowa and Wisconsin, so that can't be the only issue

Ratings are great but this team still had such a lack of depth and talent that it forces walkons in to a starting spot. Again guys like jano and long are great players but Nebraska isn't going to beat the better teams in the conference with players like ketter, hoppes, conrad and whatever undersized center they always played in years past.

Those guys are great for depth and pushing scholarship players but there is a huge difference talent wise between Nebraska and OSU, PSU and Michigan.

The fault scale is without question tipped towards coaching right now and development has been a huge probably for most of the last ~15 years.

I don't want to throw any individual player under the bus here, but we have seen countless players come through the program who needed to play better and didn't. And I'm not necessarily saying it's their fault. But, you just can't miss on players to the level Nebraska has in recent years whether that's from recruits not panning out, transfers, injuries, etc.

• Plus1 1