Walk on program is failing?

soup

So, one comment that still is boggling my mind that Dave made in the presser.  Was that the walk-on program needed to be fixed?  My question is, is it really broken?

Just two years ago 24 of the 79 players that traveled to Miami were walk-ons.  We started 3 to 5 walk-ons on the O line last year. We have how many walk-ons on the two-deep right now?

I guess I don't get it?  Does he expect to go back to the days of the 80s and 90s where they could get the kids to walk onto Nebraska that are now being offered D1 scholarships?  

Maybe he needs to call up his buddies, Bohl, Solich, Gill, etc.  To ask them to stop offering scholarships to these Nebraska kids that should be walking on at Nebraska.  (never mind South Dakota State, North Dakota State, etc.)  These programs didn't exist, recruiting wise, in the 80s and 90s.  Now they are giving these kids a full ride rather than walking on at Nebraska.

Is this just from a lack of paying attention to the program, or is it just believing the hype that any coach that is not a native Nebraskan killed the walk-on program.  

• Plus1 3

From another post.

--Dave wants to improve the walk-on program and bettering relationships with former players

This is a line straight out of the Callahan sucks playbook.  I thought we were about 10 years past this line in the sand?  Bo fixed it, and Riley has continued it.

• Plus1 2

Just now, gobiggergoredder said:

The issue that I always have when people talk about the walk on program, is that they try to compare it to 20 years ago. The FCS teams in our area have completely changed the walk on program. Many of these kids that used to get partial scholarships to smaller schools now have opportunity for rides not very  far from home. 

It will never be what it was. 

Exactly, and add into the fact that you have about 4-5 mid-level schools of former Husker coaches/players snatching up these players also.  The pickings are slim.

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The issue that I always have when people talk about the walk on program, is that they try to compare it to 20 years ago. The FCS teams in our area have completely changed the walk on program. Many of these kids that used to get partial scholarships to smaller schools now have opportunity for rides not very  far from home. 

It will never be what it was. 

Yeah, with the costs rising as fast as they have, it's impossible to be what it once was. 

Maybe there are too many walk-ons :dunno

Maybe they aren't getting the right walk-ons :dunno

Maybe he was throwing out a snippet bone for all the people that are unhappy with recent results :dunno

How much do you think DR is actually going to get done in 2 months time? He's going to help them locate a new AD, maybe give an outside perspective on the football program, maybe toss in his 2 cents for the next football coach and then likely gtfo. I wouldn't get too bogged down on this one thing.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

Maybe there are too many walk-ons :dunno

Maybe they aren't getting the right walk-ons :dunno

Maybe he was throwing out a snippet bone for all the people that are unhappy with recent results :dunno

How much do you think DR is actually going to get done in 2 months time? He's going to help them locate a new AD, maybe give an outside perspective on the football program, maybe toss in his 2 cents for the next football coach and then likely gtfo. I wouldn't get too bogged down on this one thing.

This is the part that concerns me.  If he believes that the Walk on program needs to improve, and former players aren't welcome.  What other things does he believe that are no longer true?  How will that influence his "help" in finding a new AD.  I'm hoping, beyond hope that once he gets into the program a bit, he will start to realize a few truths about where the program really is, and not just believe what was a problem from 10 years ago.  

• Plus1 2

Probably just needed to list a couple goals or tasks he'll be doing for the sake of the press conference. He's not going to be here more than 60 days, I don't think there's much he can do about it other than offer some input.

I think he'll mostly be keeping relationships strong with boosters and coaches, keeping people in the loop. Try to keep the ship afloat while they hire the new AD.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, alwayshusking said:

Probably just needed to list a couple goals or tasks he'll be doing for the sake of the press conference. He's not going to be here more than 60 days, I don't think there's much he can do about it other than offer some input.

I think he'll mostly be keeping relationships strong with boosters and coaches, keeping people in the loop. Try to keep the ship afloat while they hire the new AD.

This is almost certainly true. A guy who's going to be here for 60 days isn't going to make any kind of meaningful impact on the walk-on program.  That was as much to placate Husker fans as hiring Rimington himself.

1 hour ago, soup said:

This is the part that concerns me.  If he believes that the Walk on program needs to improve, and former players aren't welcome.  What other things does he believe that are no longer true?  How will that influence his "help" in finding a new AD.  I'm hoping, beyond hope that once he gets into the program a bit, he will start to realize a few truths about where the program really is, and not just believe what was a problem from 10 years ago.  

I listened to the presser and didn't get nearly what you got.  He said "improve" which could be almost anything.  As for players, maybe he means getting them more involved in pumping UN-L more publicly, etc.  Not sure where you are getting all of this negative slant.

• Plus1 4