The Numbers

HIHusker

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I don't expect it but I'm still one of the guys in the back of the room hoping Riley wins 4 of the next 5 and is given another year....  It would be fun to see this team turn a corner and start performing.  GBR

If the wins were convincing and the loss respectible, it would certainly make things interesting.  A 7-5 team with momentum would present Moos a more difficult situation.  I certainly will never root against the Huskers for any reason.  I hate it when fans do that, like in the NFL to get draft picks.

I have pondered that a lot.  I would like to think I'm an expert but in reality I'm just a guy who loves to watch football on Saturdays.  The fact that half of our starting team didn't have an offer from any other P5 school makes me think maybe we aren't seeing what is possible under Riley.  That said, I do hate what we are seeing on the field this year.  But, if he can turn it around, I would sure be excited to see that.  

4 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Doesnt work that way.  If Frost approaches year 4 of a 5-year contract with no extension we get killed in negative recruiting.

well we can't keep offering 5 yr contracts with extensions and firing after 3...  i'll take the gamble that frost will be here long term and willing to give him 5 yrs to bring it around..  if after 4 yrs its not working, that 5th year class wont matter anyways..

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, twofittyonred said:

well we can't keep offering 5 yr contracts with extensions and firing after 3...  i'll take the gamble that frost will be here long term and willing to give him 5 yrs to bring it around..  if after 4 yrs its not working, that 5th year class wont matter anyways..

We can and we will.  You have to understand that "playing the game" like the big boys is a lot like high-stakes gambling.  You have to spend the money to have a chance to win, and you can't be cheap or risk-averse.

Very few CFB hires are "slam dunks".  There is always an element of risk and the possibility of failure.  Crying about coach extensions and payouts isn't going to get Nebraska where it wants to be.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

We can and we will.  You have to understand that "playing the game" like the big boys is a lot like high-stakes gambling.  You have to spend the money to have a chance to win, and you can't be cheap or risk-averse.

Very few CFB hires are "slam dunks".  There is always an element of risk and the possibility of failure.  Crying about coach extensions and payouts isn't going to get Nebraska where it wants to be.

First, no one over here is "crying"  Second, you obviously are not "gambler" a gambler will not continue to make the same bet and expect a different outcome..  The element of risk you speak of is the university paying for an up and coming coach and committing to it for the long haul.. 

3 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

First, no one over here is "crying"  Second, you obviously are not "gambler" a gambler will not continue to make the same bet and expect a different outcome..  The element of risk you speak of is the university paying for an up and coming coach and committing to it for the long haul.. 

If you think that Frost would agree to waiting until the end of his contract without an extension, you are crazy.  

Contract extensions are about showing you are committed to a coach for the long haul.  You just made my point.

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

The fact that half of our starting team didn't have an offer from any other P5 school

LOLWUT???

What Isle Means is: That seems pretty unbelievable to me, can you show me where you got that from? 

Isle is going to be verrrrrry careful about keeping conversations on track. 

-Zoo

Of the 9 or 10 starters on that list not having a P5 offer, most are from Nebraska, and 5 of them are Seniors (brought in under Pelini).  I'm not making any conclusions about that.  I guess you can spin it as anti- or pro-Pelini or Riley.  Walk-on arguement, 500-mile arguement, relative recruiting strength argument; you can go a lot of directions with it.

It is surprising, though.

3 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

If you think that Frost would agree to waiting until the end of his contract without an extension, you are crazy.  

Contract extensions are about showing you are committed to a coach for the long haul.  You just made my point.

LOL...  change the bar a bit..??  you obviously just want to argue...have a good day...