Offensive line assignments

rolldog

17 hours ago, rolldog said:

Question for the X's and O's guys here.  4th quarter, midway through the quarter, Tanner gets sacked on 4th down.  Purdue was rushing 4, our LT takes one guy, another guy goes free, LG, C and RG are blocking one man and the RT is blocking another.  The RB is shielded by the LT but then goes to the left into the flat.  The "free" Purdue defender goes after Tanner and takes him down.

My questions.  What the hell happened here?  Did one of our OL miss an assignment?  Did someone call the wrong blocking assignments?  Was the RB supposed to take the Purdue rusher?  I can't even say the guy was a blitzer as they only rushed 4 and I think he was a lineman.  Did Tanner call something incorrectly?  Is our OL stupid?

It seems that this happens quite a bit during the game.  Obvious missed blocks, assignments, etc.  WTF?

There is no such 4th down play. There is a 3rd down play fitting this description at about 9:35 in the 4th quarter that I believe is the play being referred to.

The reason for the free blitzer was a well executed zone blitz by Purdue. Uncovered center with wide techs on the outside and outside shaded guard, and two threatening linebackers in the A gaps. Nebraska shows a 6 man protection. Everyone is looking to block middle out to account for both the wide techs and potential blitzers. 

The big problem for Nebraska is the strong side (bottom) DE drops and the weak side DT stunts inside, leaving a backer to loop between weak side guard and tackle, resulting in a free blitzer. Nebraska should have made the call for the weak side to slide down a man as the strong side had adequate numbers, even if they brought all 6.

53 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think the only real answer is we often don't know who we're supposed to block and there isn't any communication at the line to help get everyone on the same page.

I would think a basic blocking rule would be try to block the guy that's about to run by you with a straight shot to the ball carrier. That might be too complicated though.