Offensive line assignments

rolldog

I'd have to see video of the play itself.

I can say this: Lee failed to look for the check down to his I-Back almost all of the time in the first six games. Against Purdue, he was doing it exactly like it should be done. To the extent that it's almost like teams had specifically schemed to not worry about covering our back curling into the flat after a couple of seconds on a passing down.

Against Purdue, he checked down and it worked fairly well. I'd have to watch the play but our I-Back was probably doing what he should have done at the exact time our line gave way in pass protection.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The entire "they are trying to do too much" doesn't fly with me.  These guys are trying to play Div 1 football at the highest level.  Teams all over the country are successful doing what we are doing.  There are also teams that are successful doing things differently than we are.  

Eh, I'm pretty sure there is no way you can know this.  It may LOOK like we're doing the same things.  But that doesn't mean how we are going about them is the same.

I believe Cav's quote from early in the year was "It's tough.  But that's what we're doing."

I just want to point out something I thought of when posting in the Tanner Lee thread.

Tanner Lee has been playing well the last 4 games.  

(from the other thread)

Last 4 games:

61% 8 TD 1 INT
1,242 yards 

There is no reason why a team like Purdue should be able to stuff our run the way they did.  8 yards at half is absolutely pathetic.  Our O line should be having a much easier time run blocking due to the success of our passing game.  Especially against a team like Purdue.

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just want to point out something I thought of when posting in the Tanner Lee thread.

Tanner Lee has been playing well the last 4 games.  

(from the other thread)

Last 4 games:

61% 8 TD 1 INT
1,242 yards 

There is no reason why a team like Purdue should be able to stuff our run the way they did.  8 yards at half is absolutely pathetic.  Our O line should be having a much easier time run blocking due to the success of our passing game.  Especially against a team like Purdue.

It's a flawed argument that the passing game success opens up the run game.  It just is.  It will be interesting to see how the last 4 games play out.  If I were an opposing DC, I would sit back in zone coverage with 7 or 8 guys, and almost force NU to try and run the ball.  I don't think NU can win one on one blocking in the run game.

EDIT:  Riley said in his PC today that NU's run game is struggling to run because the o-line isn't winning one on one battles.  Eventually, defenses will start playing the LB's a step or two deeper and wider to take away passing lanes, because they won't have to worry too much about run support against NU.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just because it's currently not working for Nebraska, doesn't mean it's a flawed offensive theory.

It's a flawed theory because it's an extreme over-simplification.  

Just because you're a good passing team doesn't mean you have guys who successfully run-block.

Just because you're a good passing team doesn't mean that you have an effective running scheme in place.

Just because you're a good passing team doesn't mean that you spend time practicing to become good at running the ball.

And on and on and on.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's a flawed theory because it's an extreme over-simplification.  

Just because you're a good passing team doesn't mean you have guys who successfully run-block.

Just because you're a good passing team doesn't mean that you have an effective running scheme in place.

Just because you're a good passing team doesn't mean that you spend time practicing to become good at running the ball.

And on and on and on.

Thank you.

I understand teams want to be balanced, but there is still a "commitment" to the run game that needs to take place by the coaching staff and the OC.  That means the o-line coach needs to be able to teach run-blocking techniques just as well as pass-blocking techniques.  That means the OC is willing to call run plays and stick with run plays when there are short gains or negative plays.  We have heard Langsdorf say that he treats 1 and 2 yard runs as negative plays, and it's tough for him to go back to those run plays after they happen early in a game.  This is not committing to the run, and it's definitely not having the "pass game set up the run game".