The Democrat Utopia

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Seems way worse to ask the people least able to pay to do it as opposed to those with the most ability to pay. And for many of the rich, more money than they could ever possibly spend.

That is what I don't like.

It is like people that get mad at a MLB player for signing a big deal.  I mean, he earned it and someone is will to pay him for his services.  

I get your point, I just don't like that idea.  With that said, I would rather pay zero taxes.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Just now, teachercd said:

That is what I don't like.

It is like people that get mad at a MLB player for signing a big deal.  I mean, he earned it and someone is will to pay him for his services.  

I get your point, I just don't like that idea.  With that said, I would rather pay zero taxes.  

I'm not mad they make a lot of money. But I think in a functioning society, they have additional responsibility due to their good fortune.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not mad they make a lot of money. But I think in a functioning society, they have additional responsibility due to their good fortune.

Yeah, I get that.  

I just don't think they should or do have an additional responsibility.  Unless the G'ment passes legislation that they have to pay more.  

• TBH 2
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I have a theoretical question for you….

We have our current tax rates as approved by the Legislature so let’s assume people are paying what is currently owed and the IRS will now catch the tax cheats because of the new funding so that is now taken care of.   

Let’s say we increase  the SS/Medicare funding by taking away the income caps.   Now, let say the legislature changes its mind and comes to bipartisan agreement about raising taxes to where the following choice is made (and yes I know it’s fantasyland to believe common sense like this would prevail)…….The extra dollars from the increased tax rates above current levels could be either paid into the treasury, or, donated to an approved 501C3 type org along the lines of Salvation Army, St. Jude’s, Catholic Charities, Habitat for Humanity, various medical research organizations……and avoid the government waste that would come with increased dollars.   I’m sure everyone would feel better about their dollars being spent more wisely helping out those less fortunate.  

• TBH 2
54 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I get that.  

I just don't think they should or do have an additional responsibility.  Unless the G'ment passes legislation that they have to pay more.  

This logic is backwards to me. We would pass legislation because they have an additional responsibility.

Just now, RedDenver said:

This logic is backwards to me. We would pass legislation because they have an additional responsibility.

I just don't think they do.  

The G'ment might have a responsibility to pass the laws but the person should not (unless they want to) feel a responsibility to help out more because they make more money.  

No more than a hot girl should feel like she has the responsibility to go out with more nerdy guys to make them feel better.

• TBH 1
44 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I have a theoretical question for you….

We have our current tax rates as approved by the Legislature so let’s assume people are paying what is currently owed and the IRS will now catch the tax cheats because of the new funding so that is now taken care of.   

Let’s say we increase  the SS/Medicare funding by taking away the income caps.   Now, let say the legislature changes its mind and comes to bipartisan agreement about raising taxes to where the following choice is made (and yes I know it’s fantasyland to believe common sense like this would prevail)…….The extra dollars from the increased tax rates above current levels could be either paid into the treasury, or, donated to an approved 501C3 type org along the lines of Salvation Army, St. Jude’s, Catholic Charities, Habitat for Humanity, various medical research organizations……and avoid the government waste that would come with increased dollars.   I’m sure everyone would feel better about their dollars being spent more wisely helping out those less fortunate.  

You're assuming that the government spends money less wisely than an independent organization. I'd need to see data showing that to be true because everything I've read that's actual research into effectiveness of non-profits vs governments shows the government is more effective per dollar on average.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I just don't think they do.  

The G'ment might have a responsibility to pass the laws but the person should not (unless they want to) feel a responsibility to help out more because they make more money.  

I'm not saying how a person should feel. I'm saying that's how a functioning society should view things. Putting the onus on the poor and middle class is a terrible idea since they cannot support anywhere near the financial burden the rich can. If the rich want to put the onus and the rest of society (and we have every indication throughout history that they do), then the society functions more poorly and is more unstable, which eventually leads to that system collapsing in one way or another.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

No more than a hot girl should feel like she has the responsibility to go out with more nerdy guys to make them feel better.

That's a terrible analogy.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not saying how a person should feel. I'm saying that's how a functioning society should view things. Putting the onus on the poor and middle class is a terrible idea since they cannot support anywhere near the financial burden the rich can. If the rich want to put the onus and the rest of society (and we have every indication throughout history that they do), then the society functions more poorly and is more unstable, which eventually leads to that system collapsing in one way or another.

That's a terrible analogy.

Again, I get what you are saying, I don't think it is right though...

And it is a perfect analogy.

I would be okay with a flat tax.  

I mean you could start arguing that no one should be able to make over 50K a year, since you can live just fine on that and that every penny over 50K goes to the Gment and they will "help us" all.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Again, I get what you are saying, I don't think it is right though...

Ok

And it is a perfect analogy.

It has literally nothing to do with the discussion.

I would be okay with a flat tax.  

That puts a MUCH greater burden on the poor.

I mean you could start arguing that no one should be able to make over 50K a year, since you can live just fine on that and that every penny over 50K goes to the Gment and they will "help us" all.  

You could make that argument, but it's not at all what I'm arguing.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Ok

It has literally nothing to do with the discussion.

That puts a MUCH greater burden on the poor.

You could make that argument, but it's not at all what I'm arguing.

Thank you

It does

Ehh

You are

:)

• Haha 1
  • TBH 3
56 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You're assuming that the government spends money less wisely than an independent organization. I'd need to see data showing that to be true because everything I've read that's actual research into effectiveness of non-profits vs governments shows the government is more effective per dollar on average.

Let’s say it’s equal in efficiency (less waste and bureaucratic money spent)   would you be in favor of those extra taxes going to a non government agency to help the less fortunate?

• Plus1 1