If Frost is hired...recruiting

Garry G

Just now, HuskerPowerVA said:

It is but as my coach said, "we can't put in what God left out."  

Well....the only matrix that would prove you right or wrong is recruiting rankings.....and, our O line right now is loaded with players that were rated one hell of a lot hire than the way they are playing coming out of HS.

When you have multiple players coming out of HS that are 4* players with multiple P5 offers and when they come here and play like crap.....well......I'm not going to blame God for that.  You can, but, wait till I go stand over -------------------------------> there.

What I think a SF team will bring to recruiting in 2019 is similar, though not a bump on the same scale, as Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.  The 2015 the Wolverines had I think a top 40 class.  I think his first class in 2016 was top 5.  I am not at all saying they have the same personality so everyone stop hitting the "Quote" button for a second.  JH has a unique ability to not only motivate his team, but also kids he covets.  He has energy, has the ability to communicate his plan for the future, and forgetting those silly antics, players want to play for him.   What makes Jimbo Fisher and Dabo Sweeny outstanding recruiters even before they were head coaches?  Energy and work ethic.  They expect the same of their staffs.  

I see Frost brining something similar here.  UNL has the facilities.  They are in the right conference with their own network.  But who has the face of the franchise been?  I am not sure people haven't confused MR with the guy they thought was coming over to fix the washer.  He IS a nice guy, but the game has passed him by at this point.  SF will be very different waling in the door in my view.  When Scott, or his staff, shows up, I think we will see him close some deals on a few real difference makers early in is tenure.  Will will have an Alabama class?  Heck no. However I am more optimistic than other appear to be in my thinking that he will be pulling better recruiting class.  Also keep in mind it is who he brings in and not simply their ranking out of high school.

Here's my question: scott has done pretty good at UCF with a team full of 2 and 3 stars, so obviously the system he has maximizes the talent he has to work with.  Nebraska is capable of getting better talent than UCF can get, but does that translate to higher rates players or more solich esque types of classes?  Would the level of talent that they have in Orlando lead to 10 win seasons here, or is the competition level that much better in the big10 that they would be exposed?  

It's a little bit funny if you read the UCF board, they claim that they could win the big10 right now and state it's because of the system,  and at the same time say that Nebraska can't get the level of talent to win even with frost leading the team.   So I don't know if they're saying that UCF can out recruit us, or if the big10 heavyweights aren't as good as their coach, or if it's a combination of the 2.  

22 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Here's my question: scott has done pretty good at UCF with a team full of 2 and 3 stars, so obviously the system he has maximizes the talent he has to work with.  Nebraska is capable of getting better talent than UCF can get, but does that translate to higher rates players or more solich esque types of classes?  Would the level of talent that they have in Orlando lead to 10 win seasons here, or is the competition level that much better in the big10 that they would be exposed?  

It's a little bit funny if you read the UCF board, they claim that they could win the big10 right now and state it's because of the system,  and at the same time say that Nebraska can't get the level of talent to win even with frost leading the team.   So I don't know if they're saying that UCF can out recruit us, or if the big10 heavyweights aren't as good as their coach, or if it's a combination of the 2.  

There is no question they are coached better under SF.  As far as ratings, he also has the benefit from having nearly all his players from the state of Florida.  In my experience, Florida is so loaded with talent a lot of their HS players are actually rated lower due to the surplus of elite talent around them.  I see Florida players come up north to schools around me who are two and three stars and I shake my head.  They are really advanced coming out of high school.  I cant help to think if those players went to high school in Nebraska or South Dakota high schools they would have been rated 4 star due to them being so much better than the talent around them.  

As to the UCF boards, take with a handful of salt. They would not win the B1G, but would probably beat us.  OSU, PSU, Wisky and Michigan if they had a QB, are elite.  

I see SF pulling from a wide area and attracting an interesting class. You will here about the 500 mile circle, but don't be surprised if kids from Cali and FL show up as well.  The facilities and intangibles at UNL are still something special.  

Edited by HuskerPowerVA
Edit because I am too darn tired
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's just won example.  Iowa wanted Farniok BAD.  Question.....do you think he would be paying better right now if he would have gone to Iowa and was coached in their system?

Fariok is a kid I loved as soon as he signed.  I think he would have benefitted from being in that system, but also from having teammates with similar potential.  

4 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

My comment is in no way meant to diminish what Frost has done at UCF.  They obviously are having a very good year for the program.  I am excited for him to come here and coach the Huskers.

But, let's look at who they have beaten.  The combined record of the teams they played is 53-55.  There are only 5 teams with winning records and 3 of those are barely .500 with one being a Div 1AA.  Those teams that have winning records have done it against teams with similar type talent as you would expect at that level.

My point is, when he comes to Nebraska, he will get better athletes.  However, he will also be coaching against teams with better athletes.  He had better plan on not recruiting at the level he is coaching at UCF or this won't work.

Get better athletes than UCF, use your system and discipline to instill a winning atmosphere here and beat teams with better talent than he is beating at UCF.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When you have multiple players coming out of HS that are 4* players with multiple P5 offers and when they come here and play like crap.....well......I'm not going to blame God for that.  You can, but, wait till I go stand over -------------------------------> there.

The line is one of the most difficult position to predict out of HS.  Some players have a glass ceiling that is much lower than was thought.  I don't want to name players because who knows who reads this, but we have some that simply do not have the natural tools to play at an elite level, regardless of what their rating was in HS.  You can teach technique, but good hands, feet and the ability to keep GOOD weight on is also a blueprint that is genetically endowed. The best evaluators in the business are able to see true potential. Not unlike how NFL draft ratings are at times so far off and some pro teams scouting departments always seem to get it right (or at least much more often). 

1 minute ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

The line is one of the most difficult position to predict out of HS.  Some players have a glass ceiling that is much lower than was thought.  I don't want to name players because who knows who reads this, but we have some that simply do not have the natural tools to play at an elite level, regardless of what their rating was in HS.  You can teach technique, but good hands, feet and the ability to keep GOOD weight on is also a blueprint that is genetically endowed. The best evaluators in the business are able to see true potential. Not unlike how NFL draft ratings are at times so far off and some pro teams scouting departments always seem to get it right (or at least much more often). 

That's always the fall back argument when a player doesn't pan out.  And...I can accept that for a player here or there.  Problem is, we have many players through the system in the last 15 years who were supposed to be good players coming out of HS only to not live up here.

When it happens that often, it's a system problem.....not all blamed on God.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's always the fall back argument when a player doesn't pan out.  And...I can accept that for a player here or there.  Problem is, we have many players through the system in the last 15 years who were supposed to be good players coming out of HS only to not live up here.

When it happens that often, it's a system problem.....not all blamed on God.

It is not all one or the other, as much as you want it to be for some reason.  Sure the coaching has been poor, but the thought that the classes have been appropriate for this program is very interesting to me. 

You can think we have had sufficient recruiting classes. You can also think SF will not improve on it sooner than later.  However, on this last point, since it was the initial one, I would be willing to wager a substantial sum off line if you are interested.   Have someone hold the money and wait about a year. It can be strictly based on the bump in recruiting rankings.  Money meets mouth? 

3 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

It is not all one or the other, as much as you want it to be for some reason.  Sure the coaching has been poor, but the thought that the classes have been appropriate for this program is very interesting to me. 

You can also think SF will not improve on it sooner than later.

I have not said any of that.

Edited by BigRedBuster

You can think we have had sufficient recruiting classes. You can also think SF will not improve on it sooner than later.  However, on this last point, since it was the initial one, I would be willing to wager a substantial sum off line if you are interested.   Have someone hold the money and wait about a year. It can be strictly based on the bump in recruiting rankings.  Money meets mouth? 

I'd take that bet considering you've said "also you have to look at the player not the rating" already. A ready made excuse for not having a huge bump in class ranking. "well sure the ranking is similar but SF players are better than the ones Riley got" I can see you saying it already. Riley didn't do a bad job recruiting. Frost isn't going to come in here and instantly turn on the boosters and start bringing in top 20 classes because he is Scott Frost. It's not as easy as you are making it out to be my friend. A class ranked in the 20-25 range will be a good class until Scott can show what he does on the field. That is plenty of talent to win the West and increase your profile. by year 3 I have no doubt he could be looking at a monster class that is approaching 15 or so if we are having success, but lets hold our horse here a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'd take that bet considering you've said "also you have to look at the player not the rating" already. A ready made excuse for not having a huge bump in class ranking. "well sure the ranking is similar but SF players are better than the ones Riley got" I can see you saying it already. Riley didn't do a bad job recruiting. Frost isn't going to come in here and instantly turn on the boosters and start bringing in top 20 classes because he is Scott Frost. It's not as easy as you are making it out to be my friend. A class ranked in the 20-25 range will be a good class until Scott can show what he does on the field. That is plenty of talent to win the West and increase your profile. by year 3 I have no doubt he could be looking at a monster class that is approaching 15 or so if we are having success, but lets hold our horse here a bit. 

My Initial comment was that it will be a top 20 class. It can be off just that. Don't come weak, when I bet it is grown up style.  

My Initial comment was that it will be a top 20 class. It can be off just that. Don't come weak, when I bet it is grown up style.  

Of course the bet is on just that, I can just hear the excuses already when he doesn't make it happen. Either that or you'll point out we are 18th on ESPN even though 247 composite has us 21st haha