If Frost is hired...recruiting

Garry G

22 hours ago, huskerman2018 said:

you guys hes not coming to coach at nebraska hes happy were he is plzzz stop speulating

As much as I hope this is true, if he was happy "were he is" he would probably be saying different things. He's at the very least open to opportunities.

And I'm pretty sure message boards exist for the purpose of speulating.

• Plus1 2

Riley's recruiting was overrated IMO. People only got all excited because of rich Calabasas kids & Holmes and Bookie didn't come here, KJJ also left. 

He came in late in 2014 and picked up two 4* - Jordan Stevenson and Jalin Barnett for the 15' class. One left, other doesn't look like he will see the field. Talan and Alston also left from that class. Other guy we were excited to see was Snyder who has dropped of the planet, injuries or not big enough yet. 4* Blades from last year didn't make it either. 

I know some of "his guys" are still young. Some definitely show some promise, but the offensive line and defense overall wasn't upgraded. For any school the flashy skills players will get way more attention to seem as if you're getting better in recruiting while the 4* lineman go unnoticed. Callahan was a better recruiter, and Bo got more out of his players than Riley. 

• Plus1 2

There are plenty of facts about recruiting rankings (average per player) that have been stated by myself and others that support my opinion  .  You on the other hand throw out tons of great facts that we all enjoy and appreciate (myself included) - then you throw out your opinions that is supposed to have some clout based on unrelated data that you received credit for.

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

There are plenty of facts about recruiting rankings (average per player) that have been stated by myself and others that support my opinion  .  You on the other hand throw out tons of great facts that we all enjoy and appreciate (myself included) - then you throw out your opinions that is supposed to have some clout based on unrelated data that you received credit for.

Oddly enough, I don't seem to recall you having any facts to back up your above assertion.

Care to refresh my memory?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Oddly enough, I don't seem to recall you having any facts to back up your above assertion.

Care to refresh my memory?

Come on Mav - do you know the term "be resourceful"  all you need to do is look in the recruiting thread and see post after post that show the "average recruiting rank".  At that point google search "Nebraska Football Coach" - so that you can determine which coach was here which year.  You will see the pattern that MR got better each year with his worst class being similar to BP average/best year.  You will see that out of 7 classes BP had 2 that were on par with MR top classes and see that BP also had 2 years that were well below par (and not in terms of golf where below par is good).  

14 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Come on Mav - do you know the term "be resourceful"  all you need to do is look in the recruiting thread and see post after post that show the "average recruiting rank".  At that point google search "Nebraska Football Coach" - so that you can determine which coach was here which year.  You will see the pattern that MR got better each year with his worst class being similar to BP average/best year.  You will see that out of 7 classes BP had 2 that were on par with MR top classes and see that BP also had 2 years that were well below par (and not in terms of golf where below par is good).  

This is factually inaccurate.

And it's not really providing evidence.  That would require actual facts, which you seldom have.

• Plus1 1

As an interested observer and lurker in the Recruiting section, to me it SEEMED like our recruiting profile was improving under Riley. The actual results may not support that, but I do wonder how different the perception would be if we were 8-3, with closer losses, and therefore still in the running for Bookie and Parsons, among some others.

Edited by hskrpwr13

36 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

As an interested observer and lurker in the Recruiting section, to me it SEEMED like our recruiting profile was improving under Riley. The actual results may not support that, but I do wonder how different the perception would be if we were 8-3, with closer losses, and therefore still in the running for Bookie and Parsons, among some others.

This staff definitely did a better job getting guys to visit.  It was widely expected that recruiting would improve under Riley but his first class was pretty Bo-like.  At the time, it was said that the 2017 class - once they had a chance to go through the full recruiting cycle - would be "special".  It turned out to be basically a carbon-copy of the 2016 class.  The 2018 class was looking promising early and would almost certainly been an upgrade to some degree.  But momentum was already waning before the season even started.  By the time September ended it had ground to a halt and shortly after that it was obvious that the product we were putting on the field would destroy any chance of getting much improvement on the recruiting front.

• Plus1 5
31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This staff definitely did a better job getting guys to visit.  It was widely expected that recruiting would improve under Riley but his first class was pretty Bo-like.  At the time, it was said that the 2017 class - once they had a chance to go through the full recruiting cycle - would be "special".  It turned out to be basically a carbon-copy of the 2016 class.  The 2018 class was looking promising early and would almost certainly been an upgrade to some degree.  But momentum was already waning before the season even started.  By the time September ended it had ground to a halt and shortly after that it was obvious that the product we were putting on the field would destroy any chance of getting much improvement on the recruiting front.

This.  The 2018 class was dead man walking after the spring game.  When Bookie, the pied piper, went cold so did the class. The kid aren't stupid.  They see what we have and what we don't.

I think Frost should be able to save some of the class.  Especially the skill players and defensive guys......I think they like what they see if the O and defense is pretty aggressive.

Saquenm Griffin (LB) was the defensive player of the year (2016) for the AAC.  he was also a safety moved to LB.  HMMMMM...where have I seen that before....

I think Frost relates to the kids, puts a product on the field they can see themselves playing in and currently is a winner.  Being a National Championship QB, NFL player and coached by some of the best doesn't hurt either....

• Plus1 1
On 11/19/2017 at 9:59 AM, Garry G said:

I am curious if there is any indication how recruits in general feel about Frost.  Could he be a name to bring some we have lost back?  Maybe some new with his schemes? Also i have watched and seen some really good freshman at UCF, think any would consider a transfer even if they sit out a year? 

Realistically, NEXT year’s recruits will pretty much fall into one of three categories - players not offered by more successful programs, players with talent and offered by other programs but won’t see much playing time there, the few kids from NE that want to stay close to home. The commitments from better talent will not be realized until the following season. 

15 hours ago, lo country said:

This.  The 2018 class was dead man walking after the spring game.  When Bookie, the pied piper, went cold so did the class. The kid aren't stupid.  They see what we have and what we don't.

I think Frost should be able to save some of the class.  Especially the skill players and defensive guys......I think they like what they see if the O and defense is pretty aggressive.

Saquenm Griffin (LB) was the defensive player of the year (2016) for the AAC.  he was also a safety moved to LB.  HMMMMM...where have I seen that before....

I think Frost relates to the kids, puts a product on the field they can see themselves playing in and currently is a winner.  Being a National Championship QB, NFL player and coached by some of the best doesn't hurt either....

Typically a coaching change will hurt a class, not always, but most often.  The fact the HC has been on his way out for most of the season hurt an already declining group.  Frost won't save much THIS year.  Next year and thereafter I would expect a huge gain in rankings.