Recruiting Tangent Thread

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

What if Nebraska is just the first team to discover them? You've argued against it before, but Nebraska will behind for one more recruitint cycle when it comes to building relationships with players. That should be obvious when you see how many teams offer 2-3 years in advance.

And on jucos it really doesn't matter, especially if they only have 2 years left and we're horribly thin at the position. There are almost no repercussions to getting another body in there.

I think you're overreacting instead of assuming this is a method by the new coaching staff to patch up its team in its first season. If this were year 3 you might have good points in the multiple recruiting threads you've complained in.

Frost has the same coaches going to the same schools to see the same players and HS coaches as he did at UCF.  The relationships are already built.  Perhaps there are a few more but the assistant coaches that were recruiting Georgia are still recruiting Georgia.  The only difference is the school.

And as far as being behind in recruiting, that's their problem.  They elected to coach the bowl game and get a later start.  Doing that landed no major recruits to Nebraska afterwards.  It was a cool story line for a minute but maybe cost us more than gained us.

And why am I overreacting to being disappointed in some offers and commitments but no one gets called out for overreacting by saying almost every kid that has been offered is "underrated" "has great film" "just needs to get in the weight room and he will be a stud" "starts day one"?

If Frost can gt it done this way, God bless him.  He'll be the first.

14 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Frost has the same coaches going to the same schools to see the same players and HS coaches as he did at UCF.  The relationships are already built.  Perhaps there are a few more but the assistant coaches that were recruiting Georgia are still recruiting Georgia.  The only difference is the school.

And as far as being behind in recruiting, that's their problem.  They elected to coach the bowl game and get a later start.  Doing that landed no major recruits to Nebraska afterwards.  It was a cool story line for a minute but maybe cost us more than gained us.

And why am I overreacting to being disappointed in some offers and commitments but no one gets called out for overreacting by saying almost every kid that has been offered is "underrated" "has great film" "just needs to get in the weight room and he will be a stud" "starts day one"?

If Frost can gt it done this way, God bless him.  He'll be the first.

The former is probably considered overreacting and the latter not because for the former you have to assume Scott Frost doesn't know what he is doing and also be a negative nancy. For the latter all you have to do is trust Frost, and that's not overreacting. That's a pretty damn logical thing to do at this point.

On the last sentence, I agree. In modern times, teams haven't won national championships without top 10 recruiting year in and year out, and I would bet a lot of $ that Nebraska will never come close to doing that. Maybe we'll get a top 10 class once in a blue moon.

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You continue to stick to this even though it's demonstrably false for about 85% of the guys they're after.  Why you are hung up on this is baffling.

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Coaching in the bowl game only put them behind everyone else by another month.  You continue to ignore that recruiting is more than a one-year process.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

You continue to stick to this even though it's demonstrably false for about 85% of the guys they're after.  Why you are hung up on this is baffling.

Coaching in the bowl game only put them behind everyone else by another month.  You continue to ignore that recruiting is more than a one-year process.

Mavric they are going to the same high schools they have been going to for years.  I don't know any other way to put it so that you will understand.  Sean Beckton is not going into all uncharted waters in Florida looking for recruits.  Same goes for the others.  Of course there are a few exceptions.  But you act like these coaches are in a foreign land or something.

I'm not the one using the excuse that they are behind on recruiting because of the bowl game.  You continue to ignore the posters that are using that as an excuse for what is going on.

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Mavric they are going to the same high schools they have been going to for years.  I don't know any other way to put it so that you will understand.  Sean Beckton is not going into all uncharted waters in Florida looking for recruits.  Same goes for the others.  Of course there are a few exceptions.  But you act like these coaches are in a foreign land or something.

I'm not the one using the excuse that they are behind on recruiting because of the bowl game.  You continue to ignore the posters that are using that as an excuse for what is going on.

No they are not.  They mainly recruited Florida and Georgia while they were at UCF.  Now they are recruiting all over the country.  That is nowhere near the same thing.

39 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Then prove it by showing that they were recruiting the same players at UCF that they are now at Nebraska. Or at least show that a large percentage of the recruits are the same. If not, then your argument doesn't hold water.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No they are not.  They mainly recruited Florida and Georgia while they were at UCF.  Now they are recruiting all over the country.  That is nowhere near the same thing.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/recruiting/go-after-em-all-nebraska-plans-aggressive-recruiting-push-into/article_fb964fb6-2041-5959-bbe4-c215046ec405.html

We’re going to try to drag some of those boys out to the Midwest,” Dawson said. “They’re going to love it. I’ve been recruiting New Jersey since 2000. I’ve been there a long time. The high school coaches in New Jersey have been awesome to me. I have some great relationships and really close friends I’ve built up.

It’s part of Nebraska’s aggressive recruiting strategy in the Southeast — prime SEC and ACC country. Many Husker coaches have a section of Florida. Beckton is responsible for Orlando and north Florida, near Jacksonville, which also produces a high number of prospects.

I mean.  I don't know who to believe.  You or the guy that wrote this article.  You tell me.

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/recruiting/go-after-em-all-nebraska-plans-aggressive-recruiting-push-into/article_fb964fb6-2041-5959-bbe4-c215046ec405.html

We’re going to try to drag some of those boys out to the Midwest,” Dawson said. “They’re going to love it. I’ve been recruiting New Jersey since 2000. I’ve been there a long time. The high school coaches in New Jersey have been awesome to me. I have some great relationships and really close friends I’ve built up.

It’s part of Nebraska’s aggressive recruiting strategy in the Southeast — prime SEC and ACC country. Many Husker coaches have a section of Florida. Beckton is responsible for Orlando and north Florida, near Jacksonville, which also produces a high number of prospects.

I mean.  I don't know who to believe.  You or the guy that wrote this article.  You tell me.

You do understand that they could be recruiting different players at the same highschools, right? Building relationships with coaches and highschools isn't the same as building relationships with the individual recruits.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

You do understand that they could be recruiting different players at the same highschools, right? Building relationships with coaches and highschools isn't the same as building relationships with the individual recruits.

It's certainly understandable that when they were recruiting to UCF, they didn't focus their complete attention on some players they thought were outside their reach for the AAC.  I would have to believe that they didn't completely ignore those players either.  So there would be some familiarity going in.  Not completely cold as it is being perceived. 

It's certainly understandable that when they were recruiting to UCF, they didn't focus their complete attention on some players they thought were outside their reach for the AAC.  I would have to believe that they didn't completely ignore those players either.  So there would be some familiarity going in.  Not completely cold as it is being perceived. 

Sure, but recruiting them to a completely different school in a very different state weather- and culture-wise is from zero (or cold). How much the coaches are starting from scratch is a matter of how many different recruits they're building relationships with and how differently they're going about recruiting (due to it being Nebraska instead of UCF). But I'd guess you're correct that they're about in the same place as far as locations and high schools, except locally where they're probably recruiting more.

Just now, RedDenver said:

Sure, but recruiting them to a completely different school in a very different state weather- and culture-wise is from zero (or cold). How much the coaches are starting from scratch is a matter of how many different recruits they're building relationships with and how differently they're going about recruiting (due to it being Nebraska instead of UCF). But I'd guess you're correct that they're about in the same place as far as locations and high schools, except locally where they're probably recruiting more.

I just don't personally believe that they have to build relationships as much as people think they do based on their recruiting locations.  Again, there are some exceptions for say, Ruud, who wasn't a FT coach until now.

If we want to say that they are going to have to work a little harder to get kids to look at a midwest school from Miami, FL, I would totally agree there.  But these are the people Frost picked to do it.  So they have to.

I just don't personally believe that they have to build relationships as much as people think they do based on their recruiting locations.  Again, there are some exceptions for say, Ruud, who wasn't a FT coach until now.

If we want to say that they are going to have to work a little harder to get kids to look at a midwest school from Miami, FL, I would totally agree there.  But these are the people Frost picked to do it.  So they have to.

Maybe, but building relationships with recruits is just the first part. Then you have to convince them to come play for you at your school. That's a significant amount of work too.

Just now, RedDenver said:

Maybe, but building relationships with recruits is just the first part. Then you have to convince them to come play for you at your school. That's a significant amount of work too.

Absolutely.  I would only argue that it starts with the HS or JUCO coach.  Which I think based on the article, they are doing the right thing with their territories.

24 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Yes, you continue to focus on only the part of the story that fits your narrative.

Nothing in there contradicts what I've said.  Now find me the article about Barrett Ruud recruiting in Colorado while he was at UCF.  Or Troy Walters recruiting California.  And on and on.

But you'll just ignore that part so whatever.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Absolutely.  I would only argue that it starts with the HS or JUCO coach.  Which I think based on the article, they are doing the right thing with their territories.

I agree. But I don't think there's anybody arguing that the staff has to start over with their HS or JUCO coach relationships, which is what you appear to arguing against, but maybe somebody will chime in.

EDIT: @Mavric is going to make those points, so I'll bow out of that debate. But @StPaulHusker, I think your posts came across as also saying that the coaches weren't behind in their first full year of recruiting even as regards to other parts of recruiting like building relationships with recruits and convincing recruits to come to a different school, which is what I have been pushing back against.

• Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread