Social Media/government

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is going to be a big topic in coming months and years. 

Thread.....

Good article by Greenwald.

This is absolutely the wrong way for Facebook to approach this. Trotting out a weak excuse like "but sanctions!" to target someone & ignoring people who are guilty of content that violates their terms of use (i.e., hate speech or incitement of violence) is selectively enforcing their rules as they see fit. I know they or any other private platform have the right to do that, but I think it's wrong. I think if you have a rule, you should enforce it, period, or change the rule if you're not going to.

I used to think Zuck would make an ok political candidate. I certainly preferred someone with his resume as a non-pol candidate over someone like Trump. But after how badly they've bungled their response to troll/fake accounts & the proliferation of fake news on Facebook, & now this, he strikes me as someone either lacking common sense or trying to hide things that make him look bad. We've got enough of the latter in Washington right now.

You're right, though. This is a big issue. I still think there is room for some judicious government internet regulation, mainly net neutrality. But government & social media are a very gray area that becomes a slippery slope to bad things very easily. I would be all in favor of the gov stepping up pressure on FB/Twitter/etc to remove fake/propaganda accounts from their platforms, though, as they only serve to proliferate misinformation & create false impressions.

13 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Who still uses Facebook?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017/08/21/facebook-teens-tweens-instagram-snapchat/588406001/

It is falling.  Teens hate it and only sign up (if they do at all) to play games on their phones.  I have asked my classes over and over who uses facebook and it will be about 1 out of every 25 with many replies of "Facebook, that is for dinosaurs"  

Snapchat and Instagram...that is what high school students and middle schoolers use.  I can walk around at school and see snapchat on every phone, twitter on some and facebook on zero.

Also, facebook is starting to reactivate old accounts.  Mine just got reactivated and I have not used it in 2 years...I don't even know my password.  But sure enough, I got an email that welcomed me back to facebook.

Now, it is not going away, not for a very long time but they are starting to lose those teens.  

Edited by teachercd
  • Plus1 1