B1G Returning to Eight Conference Games per Year?

1 hour ago, Treand3 said:

It definitely has been a little unbalanced, but Nebraska still has a draw to it that the others don't. Regardless of our failures. Part of me feels the B1G wants their "name" programs to face off more than not.

I think there's something to that, but NU takes a fairly significant step down in their crossover schedule next year losing PSU, UM and MSU. They only have to play tOSU.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:58 AM, Saunders said:

Yup.

For example, by 2019 Nebraska will have played OSU 6 times, and Indiana twice, since joining the league in 2011. During that same span Iowa will have played Ohio State twice, Indiana 6 times.

It makes no sense.

Not to be argumentative, but it does make sense when analyzed against what they were trying to do. When Nebraska came into the league, the B1G had another blue blood and they wanted as many of these blue blood against blue blood games they could get a year. Nebraska against tOSU, or Michigan, or PSU is good football and good tv. Remember, tOSU had to play Nebraska the same amount of times Nebraska had to play us. When the B1G brought Nebraska in, they fully thought they'd continue their blue blood ways. I am confident that the B1G did not schedule it this way to try to punish Nebraska, it was an attempt to get a good stock of games for the season (and yes, I realize the Nebraska that came in was not the same Nebraska from the 90's, but the B1G still viewed it as a blue blood--and still does).

2 hours ago, BOJ said:

When Nebraska came into the league, the B1G had another blue blood and they wanted as many of these blue blood against blue blood games they could get a year.

Yes and no.

For external networks (ABC, etc), the value of Nebraska is potentially in big program vs big program. Those channels will focus on the big game of the week.

For the league network, though, the value is in big program vs little program. The more times they can make an Illinois or Indiana watchable, the better. The last thing a TV network wants is a bunch of Indiana vs Rutgers matchups.

My Ideal schedule:

Week 1: @Northwestern

Week 2: New Mexico State

Week 3: Florida

Week 4: @Illinois

Week 5: Minnesota

Week 6: Iowa

Week 7: BYE

Week 8: Wisconsin

Week 9: @Rutgers

Week 10: @Purdue

Week 11: Michigan State