Husker Chalk Talk: Concepts Wednesday - QB Wrap

Cdog923

19 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The bolded...yes I know. 

What I was surprised at was seeing two Boston College OL pulling and going away from where the ball was actually ran to.

It surprised me because that means schematically there are two less blockers available on that play because they pulled and neither one really blocked anyone.  Just seemed odd.

Yea that's the point I'm making. It's a misdirection run. Yes you have less blockers. But if the defense is reading the line as their Keyes. They will follow the lineman and take themselves out of the play. 

Combine this with someone who can make a tackler miss and it can get lethal for a defense in a hurry.

8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I was looking for this; it's a little Power Option, and Martinez makes the wrong read, but is athletic enough to get around the edge and score. 

Yeah, I haven't quite figured out why he kept on that one.  The best guess I can come up with is he didn't see the safety coming so fast so he thought he had more room.

Crazy good play by him.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I haven't quite figured out why he kept on that one.  The best guess I can come up with is he didn't see the safety coming so fast so he thought he had more room.

Crazy good play by him.

For all of the storied history of QBs, there's maybe 3 in program history that can make that play. 

6 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Disagree - I count at least 7. Armstrong, T Martinez, Lord, Newcombe, Crouch, Frost, Fraizer all come to mind. 

For as much as I love T Martinez, I don't think he makes that first guy miss.  Not sure Armstrong or Frost are fast enough.

Crouch and Frazier I would go with.  I wouldn't really count Newcombe as he didn't play much QB.  Lord is a possibility.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

For as much as I love T Martinez, I don't think he makes that first guy miss.  Not sure Armstrong or Frost are fast enough.

Crouch and Frazier I would go with.  I wouldn't really count Newcombe as he didn't play much QB.  Lord is a possibility.

1st highlight about 10 seconds in is a very similar play. I will acknowledge the tackler was getting blocked a bit but still pretty similar. 

16 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

1st highlight about 10 seconds in is a very similar play. I will acknowledge the tackler was getting blocked a bit but still pretty similar. 

Difference, imo, is running vs. stationary.  Once he was moving, Taylor was fast enough to make a cut and get around people.  But in the play from last week, Adrian had barely even moved yet but was able to juke and then turn on the jets.