Husker Chalk Talk: Concepts Wednesday - QB Wrap

Cdog923

9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I don't know a damn thing about X's and O's so I enjoy you guys breaking down this kind of stuff. On this particular play, Williams didn't block his guy and Spielman was hit at the LOS. However, Spielman only could have gotten 2 or 3 more yards anyway, since the tight end didn't hold his block, and Morgan had his hands full with two guys at once. So my question is, at this point in the 4th quarter, had Colorado's D simply made some better adjustments to be ready for this kind of play? I can't imagine that it would be a fatigue/conditioning issue for our guys.

Hard to tell for sure but I think Spielman has a chance to outrun the LB if Williams gets a block.

I don't know if they made adjustments or just happened to react better on that particular play.  We weren't exactly killing them with that look so I don't know that they would have changed anything counter it.  Probably just like a lot of things that game we were just a bit off and it wouldn't take much better execution to make the play much better for us.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Hard to tell for sure but I think Spielman has a chance to outrun the LB if Williams gets a block.

I don't know if they made adjustments or just happened to react better on that particular play.  We weren't exactly killing them with that look so I don't know that they would have changed anything counter it.  Probably just like a lot of things that game we were just a bit off and it wouldn't take much better execution to make the play much better for us.

Agreed.

It's always hard to say that the next guy was for sure going to tackle a guy when we never see it play out. As we have seen, it's hard to tackle in space sometimes.

44 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I don't know a damn thing about X's and O's so I enjoy you guys breaking down this kind of stuff. On this particular play, Williams didn't block his guy and Spielman was hit at the LOS. However, Spielman only could have gotten 2 or 3 more yards anyway, since the tight end didn't hold his block, and Morgan had his hands full with two guys at once. So my question is, at this point in the 4th quarter, had Colorado's D simply made some better adjustments to be ready for this kind of play? I can't imagine that it would be a fatigue/conditioning issue for our guys.

It looks like if the tight end 86 gets a better block the running lane could have been more inside and the missed block by WR isn’t an issue. Maybe. A lot to coach up on that play.

35 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

It looks like if the tight end 86 gets a better block the running lane could have been more inside and the missed block by WR isn’t an issue. Maybe. A lot to coach up on that play.

Both Williams and Stoll blew their blocks; Williams tried to help double on Morgan's DB and missed his own, and Stoll fails hard on a reach block. 

Morgan, on the other hand, destroys his guy. 

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Both Williams and Stoll blew their blocks; Williams tried to help double on Morgan's DB and missed his own, and Stoll fails hard on a reach block. 

Morgan, on the other hand, destroys his guy. 

I'd rather him him hold on for a little longer rather than just one quick hit and be done but I like the aggressiveness.

/checks OOC thread

• Plus1 1

Completely unrelated to Husker football, but still Xs and Os, tonight during the Boston College vs Wake Forest game I saw BC run a running play where they pulled two OL to the left and actually ran the ball to the right.  They got a nice gain out it.  I had to hit rewind on the DVR to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.  But to my recollection, I honestly can't remember ever seeing any team do anything like that.  It was weird.  I mean I get the concept of it...pulling OL to the left to influence the LB and Ss to flow to the direction of the pulling lineman and then countering to the right.  Just seems odd to pull two OL away from the direction/hole and not have them really block anyone.  It sounds like it wouldn't work schematically due to the defensive numbers advantage on what ends up being playside, but I guess if the defenders reading those two lineman as keys step and flow left, it would negate the numbers disadvantage.

Just thought schematically what BC did on that play was pretty interesting. 

4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Completely unrelated to Husker football, but still Xs and Os, tonight during the Boston College vs Wake Forest game I saw BC run a running play where they pulled two OL to the left and actually ran the ball to the right.  They got a nice gain out it.  I had to hit rewind on the DVR to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.  But to my recollection, I honestly can't remember ever seeing any team do anything like that.  It was weird.  I mean I get the concept of it...pulling OL to the left to influence the LB and Ss to flow to the direction of the pulling lineman and then countering to the right.  Just seems odd to pull two OL away from the direction/hole and not have them really block anyone.  It sounds like it wouldn't work schematically due to the defensive numbers advantage on what ends up being playside, but I guess if the defenders reading those two lineman as keys step and flow left, it would negate the numbers disadvantage.

I didn’t see it, but it kinda sounds like what happens in a screen. Not the concept but the fact that you’re letting the defense trick themselves out of the play instead of actually blocking them.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I didn’t see it, but it kinda sounds like what happens in a screen. Not the concept but the fact that you’re letting the defense trick themselves out of the play instead of actually blocking them.

9 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

It's not uncommon. Plenty of defenses make their defensive reads based on the offensive line, "the line don't lie" i think was what and old defensive coordinator once told me. Problem is in modern football it does and defenses who are over reading the o-line are susceptible to getting burned by the play your talking about. 

Flip side of that, if the defense is reading the back field they won't be fooled and will blow you up in the back field. 

1 hour ago, husker98 said:

It's not uncommon. Plenty of defenses make their defensive reads based on the offensive line, "the line don't lie" i think was what and old defensive coordinator once told me. Problem is in modern football it does and defenses who are over reading the o-line are susceptible to getting burned by the play your talking about. 

Flip side of that, if the defense is reading the back field they won't be fooled and will blow you up in the back field. 

There are plays where Frost will pull 3 O-linemen. 

2 hours ago, husker98 said:

The bolded...yes I know. 

What I was surprised at was seeing two Boston College OL pulling and going away from where the ball was actually ran to.

It surprised me because that means schematically there are two less blockers available on that play because they pulled and neither one really blocked anyone.  Just seemed odd.

3 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The bolded...yes I know. 

What I was surprised at was seeing two Boston College OL pulling and going away from where the ball was actually ran to.

It surprised me because that means schematically there are two less blockers available on that play because they pulled and neither one really blocked anyone.  Just seemed odd.

We did this on Martinez's first TD run - 27:50 in this video