Loyalty and Special Teams

DefenderAO

I'm all in on HCSF.  He is the man to turn the ship.  Two possible concerns, however (and no, I'm not panicking or calling for heads):

1.  Scott is extremely loyal.  He is a man of high integrity.  If it came down to it, could he let a coach go?  Chin gave up a metric mile in the last three games at UCF.  He's bringing DB's up to goal line packages in B10 games (UM) and getting rolled.  He's a flag for me right now, but I have patience.  Our ST needs no exposition...it's dreadful.  DeWitt is another flag.  Can Frost pull a trigger on a coach?  Do you see it in him?

2.  Speaking of Special Teams, watching OSU, Urban leads that group.  A starting wide receiver (read, top athlete) made a heck of a play on a kick to bury the PSU returner.  A tier 1 team has its HC leading that group.  NU has an asst. coach playing double duty right now.  We may need even more emphasis here than I'm seeing planned.

I did like his post presser.  He's done with patty cake.  It's war time.  

• Plus1 3

Just now, DefenderAO said:

I'm all in on HCSF.  He is the man to turn the ship.  Two possible concerns, however (and no, I'm not panicking or calling for heads):

1.  Scott is extremely loyal.  He is a man of high integrity.  If it came down to it, could he let a coach go?  Chin gave up a metric mile in the last three games at UCF.  He's bringing DB's up to goal line packages in B10 games (UM) and getting rolled.  He's a flag for me right now, but I have patience.  Our ST needs no exposition...it's dreadful.  DeWitt is another flag.  Can Frost pull a trigger on a coach?  Do you see it in him?

2.  Speaking of Special Teams, watching OSU, Urban leads that group.  A starting wide receiver (read, top athlete) made a heck of a play on a kick to bury the PSU returner.  A tier 1 team has its HC leading that group.  NU has an asst. coach playing double duty right now.  We may need even more emphasis here than I'm seeing planned.

I did like his post presser.  He's done with patty cake.  It's war time.  

This is a concern to me.  Looks like he did this today as well.  Bring in a heavier package on goal line stands to at last make them work for the TD.  

ST is odd as the staff preached wanting to get starters to play on these so the best athletes were on the field.  Something akin to "if you wont play special teams as a starter we dont want you"..

• Plus1 1

Position coaches contribute to loyalty too.  Privileges to upperclassmen also add to it.  Position coaches should be ready to make changes when things are not getting fixed (especially if they cannot get things fixed with what you are going with).  So that's either loyalty or they do not trust the backups, which falls on position coaches. 

Watching Scott's last couple pressers, I'm more encouraged by his tone, and hopefully players match his level of urgency (no panic, but it's no BS time).  He's finally getting on players and disciplining poor play.  I think he'd roll with his staff until something dire is needed.  And we're not there yet.  Let's see a couple cycles of recruiting first...