Dedrick Mills - LOI Signed

9 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

I think MIlls is probably your 1A, IF he keeps his nose clean.  He is your down hill inside power guy.  Washington can do some of that, but his runs will be different. 

It seems you're going under the assumption that Mills is going to be just as good as Ozigbo out of the gate, and that Washington won't improve any from year 1 to year 2.... I don't think it's safe to assume either of those things.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Washington will be the starter. Mazour will get 2nd team reps at the beginning (as he will be more familiar with the offense and fulfills the between the tackle RB role) but Mills will overtake Mazour's reps as the season goes on. Mazour was essentially 2nd team last year as Zig and Washington split reps with the 1s and Mazour was out with the 2nd team when mop up time came. The coaching staff likes Mazour's leadership and work ethic and will be tough for Mills to unseat as the backup as Mills is learning the offense in fall camp. 

I agree with you that touches will be split up among many players and positions. 

Leadership and work ethic are great, but production/ talent is a different ball game.  Wyatt Mazour had 11 carries for 76 yards last year.  He can be a leader in the weight room and on the practice field.  That doesnt always equal production, no matter how bad you want it to.  With that said, I think he gets some spot runs, but let be clear....he has no seat.  He is a 3rd option ar running back at best.   Now if there are couple of injuries, I could see him getting a few carries.    There is no first and second team at RB, you are either getting touches or you arent.  You cant call him a second string running back.  LOL.  I think he is a viable option due to injury, but with all the new talent coming in, there may not be a spot for him on the field. 

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It seems you're going under the assumption that Mills is going to be just as good as Ozigbo out of the gate, and that Washington won't improve any from year 1 to year 2.... I don't think it's safe to assume either of those things.

Its February, we are talking about September...assumptions is what the husker board is built on.  LOL

I think Washington will get bigger and stronger and faster, I still dont think it will change how they use him.  He is a incredible talent, but so is Mills. He isnt as good as Ozigbo, he is better.   Yes he could be another Greg Bell, but I also doubt that.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

Leadership and work ethic are great, but production/ talent is a different ball game.  Wyatt Mazour had 11 carries for 76 yards last year.  He can be a leader in the weight room and on the practice field.  That doesnt always equal production, no matter how bad you want it to.  With that said, I think he gets some spot runs, but let be clear....he has no seat.  He is a 3rd option ar running back at best.   Now if there are couple of injuries, I could see him getting a few carries.    There is no first and second team at RB, you are either getting touches or you arent.  You cant call him a second string running back.  LOL.  I think he is a viable option due to injury, but with all the new talent coming in, there may not be a spot for him on the field. 

LOL all you want - but Mazour was getting touches as the 3rd back last year (albeit in mop up time). Mazour will go through spring getting the 2nd touches. I think Mills will be a stud for us, I just think it will be tough for him (Mills) to come in and take reps from Mazour from the get-go when hes not here in spring, especially considering they have similar running styles. Now if Mills was here in spring I think its a different story. 

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'll have to see it to believe it, but I hope you're right on this.... Keep in mind, if Ozigbo was given the reigns to begin the year, he could of ran for 1,400-1,500 yards last season.

He is a better talent, how the staff develops him remains to be seen.

13 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

LOL all you want - but Mazour was getting touches as the 3rd back last year (albeit in mop up time). Mazour will go through spring getting the 2nd touches. I think Mills will be a stud for us, I just think it will be tough for him (Mills) to come in and take reps from Mazour from the get-go when hes not here in spring, especially considering they have similar running styles. Now if Mills was here in spring I think its a different story. 

But Washington jumped Mazour a year ago with the same time frame and a slighter physique. Don't see Mazour being much of a factor even in the early season. Maybe he will prove us wrong though.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Oh... Dear... Lord....Did you just say that Mazour and Mills have similar running styles?  I cant do this with you today! LOL.  Im not sure Wyatt Mazour even has a hudl account.   Just checked...OK he does. I hope you have double screens.  Open both videos...watch simultaneously and if you dont laugh at what you said above, you are not being honest with yourself. Derick Mills is stiff arming kids to the ground....in GA.  

https://www.hudl.com/profile/1688579/Wyatt-Mazour

https://www.hudl.com/profile/1495850/Dedrick-Mills

Spring reps DONT matter.  How many spring reps did Washington have last year?  I think he showed up like 3 days before the opening game and played his first game barefoot because they didnt have his size yet.  You think we was worried about Wyatt Mazour?  STOP!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

You're acting as though I'm saying Mazour will be up for the Heisman. I'm merely stating I think he will get reps early in the season based on the reps he will get in spring and his position on the depth chart at the end of last year. Also, if your saying Mazour doesn't have the production, averaging 6.9 ypc isn't too shabby - but I digress. 

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

But Washington jumped Mazour a year ago with the same time frame and a slighter physique. Don't see Mazour being much of a factor even in the early season. Maybe he will prove us wrong though.

2 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

Exactly. 

Perhaps you should watch the hudl films of both (with double screens) if you are trying to say Washington and Mazour have the same running style/body. 

Also, did you really just try to compare the films of a HS senior to that of a Junior College RB? Come on man, I can't do this with you today. LOL. 

Perhaps you should re-read my full post. I clearly think Mills will be a better running back than Mazour in the long run. I'm just not convinced that Mills will come to fall camp in-shape and in a position to know the playbook well enough to overtake reps from Mazour in game 1. That is all. 

2 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

You're acting as though I'm saying Mazour will be up for the Heisman. I'm merely stating I think he will get reps early in the season based on the reps he will get in spring and his position on the depth chart at the end of last year. Also, if your saying Mazour doesn't have the production, averaging 6.9 ypc isn't too shabby - but I digress. 

Perhaps you should watch the hudl films of both (with double screens) if you are trying to say Washington and Mazour have the same running style/body. 

Also, did you really just try to compare the films of a HS senior to that of a Junior College RB? Come on man, I can't do this with you today. LOL. 

Perhaps you should re-read my full post. I clearly think Mills will be a better running back than Mazour in the long run. I'm just not convinced that Mills will come to fall camp in-shape and in a position to know the playbook well enough to overtake reps from Mazour in game 1. That is all. 

Its Mills high school film...

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, bugeater17 said:

I couldn't get the link to work, so I googled Mills hudl film and took me to his junior college. Admittedly, my bad. But my overall point remains the same. 

Fair enough and I see where you are coming from, I just disagree. I think we can all agree though we are building the RB room back up to where it should be.