Dedrick Mills - LOI Signed

3 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

how should we feel if a player gets stoned and causes a fatal accident?  i guess if he was drunk it would be different? 

Boy there sure are a lot of assumptions that are being made.   

I’d hold judgment on someone until I knew all the facts.   Isn’t it innocent until proven guilty?    

Has it been confirmed he was given a ticket for driving under the influence?????  Or could it be unpaid speeding tickets.  

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

This is false.

"Those groups have shrewdly recast marijuana as a medicine rather than an intoxicant. Some have even claimed that marijuana can help slow the opioid epidemic, though studies show that people who use cannabis are more likely to start using opioids later."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/opinion/marijuana-pot-health-risks-legalization.html

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.ajp.2017.17040413

The first is an opinion piece with no hard evidence to back it up. Correlation does not imply causation. This paragraph from his WSJ is laughable:

The first four states to legalize marijuana for recreational use were Colorado and Washington in 2014 and Alaska and Oregon in 2015. Combined, those four states had about 450 murders and 30,300 aggravated assaults in 2013. In 2017, they had almost 620 murders and 38,000 aggravated assaults—an increase far greater than the national average.

He mentions schizophrenia. Here is the conclusion by the National Academy of Medicine which is what he is referring to:

There is limited evidence of a statistical association between cannabis use and an increase in positive symptoms of schizophrenia (e.g., hallucinations) among individuals with psychotic disorders

I'm guessing most of the negative things he mentioned are of the above variety.

The bottom study doesn't apply to NFL players, because they are a different population. They are already increasingly likely to abuse opioids because of the amount of pain they're in. As I said, NFL players, regardless of marijuana use, are 4 times as likely as the general population to abuse opioids after they retire. They are already using them for pain, and it's not due to marijuana use.

https://source.wustl.edu/2011/01/retired-nfl-players-misuse-painkillers-more-than-general-population/

5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I won’t dispute that weed is better and less dangerous than opioids and many other forms of recreational drugs or alcohol. I really don’t have a problem with it’s use or with it being legalized. And I don’t want to get into a discussion about whether the current rules are stupid or not, especially within this topic.

However, I do not agree with your closing sentence. My viewpoint is purely anecdotal and based solely on my observations and experiences. I simply have never seen its use as a good thing or beneficial when it comes to sports. It definitely has it’s place and benefits for many things but none of it manifests in better physical or mental performance as related to sports. I have seen it make people more relaxed, lackadaisical, less motivated and the list goes on. I have not ever seen it make anyone better physically or motivated to achieve more. Rather, imo, it has hampered many an athlete who seemingly would’ve had much higher (no pun intended) ceilings if they would’ve/could’ve laid off the bong.

And for reference, I’m not some old fogey who is opposed to the devil’s lettuce. I smoked my share of it back in my college days, voted to legalize it here in Colorado and have recently used some edibles for beneficial purposes (sleep aid and pain) and even very rarely for purely recreational purposes. It’s just not the type of thing that causes a person to go be their best when considered in the context of high level D1 football.

I don't think Div. 1 players should be using it. I think the age should be at least 21. I also don't think players should be using it leading up to a game, and the ones who use it for recovery would probably be pretty likely to do that. I personally haven't found it to be addictive at all, so if it was me I would be able to use it for a couple days after each game and then stop.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:18 PM, Huskinator said:

So because bell was a failure we should scrap the juco process?  Many schools (including bama) recruit juco players.  If a highly rated recruits a bust should we stop recruiting highly rated recruits too?   

2 hours ago, boach_clack said:

Ha ha. Nailed it.

Nobody has said anything along these lines. One person said we don't need distractions and myself and one other made obviously insincere facetious comments. I think everyone realizes we are going to experience busts whether they be walk-ons, HS recruits or Juco's. And certainly nobody is claiming Mills will be a bust. Rather we all hope he will come to NU and have great success.

22 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Nobody has said anything along these lines. One person said we don't need distractions and myself and one other made obviously insincere facetious comments. I think everyone realizes we are going to experience busts whether they be walk-ons, HS recruits or Juco's. And certainly nobody is claiming Mills will be a bust. Rather we all hope he will come to NU and have great success.

Actually reread the post. Hunter94 specifically said exactly that....

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huskinator said:

Actually reread the post. Hunter94 specifically said exactly that....

On 1/4/2019 at 5:13 PM, Hunter94 said:

we thought Bell was gonna be a big help too......i say we don't need distractions.

Says we don't need distractions. Does not say we shouldn't go after Juco's.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:44 AM, Hunter94 said:

Jucos are fine, but sure looks like Mills is playing us......and he has some issues too.

Actually says Juco's are fine....

Did I miss something? Where are these specificallys and exactlys, exactly?

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Did I miss something? Where are these specificallys and exactlys, exactly?

He didn't say it "exactly" but it's implied by what he said about Bell. I don't recall there being anything distracting about Bell that we knew of before he joined the team, so what's implied by the post is that it's a problem with jucos.

we thought Bell was gonna be a big help too

Then later he said he doesn't have a problem with jucos, but that doesn't make the above post make sense.

13 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

Bell should have never been mentioned here.  End of story, there is zero correlation between the two, outside of both were juco backs. 

I believe I was the first one who referenced Bell in this thread and it was appropriate at the time.  The discussion was if Mills looked like the #1 back in JUCO.  My point was, that last year we started the year with another previous #1 JUCO back......and that player didn't look too great either.

My comment was solely on the rankings of JUCO players and how sometimes they can be not what they seem.  Then....the thread took it into a totally different direction that wasn't needed.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe I was the first one who referenced Bell in this thread and it was appropriate at the time.  The discussion was if Mills looked like the #1 back in JUCO.  My point was, that last year we started the year with another previous #1 JUCO back......and that player didn't look too great either.

My comment was solely on the rankings of JUCO players and how sometimes they can be not what they seem.  Then....the thread took it into a totally different direction that wasn't needed.

I don’t disagree with that.  Sorry I meant bells leaving shouldn’t have been in comparison to his troubles. 

• Mavric changed the title to Dedrick Mills - LOI Signed