**Official 2019 Mariners/Mets Misery Thread**

Xmas32

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

The more this trade sinks in the more I like it. Our infield defense has to get better eventually especially they can manage to move Cano and get McNeil back to 2B. Gimenez is what Rosario was supposed to be as a SS prospect - a defensive whiz that hits enough to justify his amazing glove.

I was trying to find the exact stats on turning-gound-balls-into-outs but can't seem to find them.  Supposedly the Mets are really bad but I wonder how much difference we're talking about.  If he induces a few more ground balls once every five games, does that mean it'll really cost us one out every 5 games?  10 games?  15 games?  I can't imagine it's really that much different.  And how many runs is that saving vs. hitting more fly balls that can be doubles or home runs?

I was wondering what will happen with Rosario.  He started off terrible in the field this year but seems to have come back to about his career average.  Which isn't great.  But - again - how much difference are we talking?  He's about 0.02 behind the top guys in the league.  One more error every 50 chances.  About one more error every 22 games.  That's not exactly going to break you.  Not sure how his range compares.  But they do seem to have some guys coming up behind him.  

If they extend Stroman I long-term I like this deal a lot. If they let him walk after next season I'm not so sure. Getting a youngish All Star pitcher for a couple non-top 100 prospects is crazy value.

I read something a couple years ago about how infrequently these deadline deals get you prospects that actually pan out.  So I'm not sure they're really all they're cracked up to be.  Thus, it would seem they likely came out ahead on Stroman (if they can keep him).  And they'll probably bomb on tranding Thor (if they do).

Vargas was gone after he threatened to beat up that reporter. Good riddance.

I'd like to see them try Rosario at CF if they don't acquire someone better. His bat is good enough to keep in the lineup but his range seems to have gotten worse because he was supposed to be a defensive whiz as well. Definitely improved some from the early season because he started off ROUGH.

Stroman is talented and the Jays basically gave them away. Kay is likely a low-ceiling backend starter and SWR is an electric 18 YO that's many years away from the bigs. Prospects are always a question mark. Still love the trade.

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:
Syndergaard for one of the best defensive center fielders in the game plus prospects. A bit delusional.

Yeah they aren't moving him unless they find a desperate team with an idiot in charge.

Delusional is a possibility.  But I think (hope?) it's just more they know he's the biggest name on the market and they don't really want to trade him but they're checking to see if anyone *really* wants him.

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is Thor is off the market....  chuckleshuffle

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d41ccdd78636b3936

The Bauer deal makes me feel much better about what they gave up for Stroman.

Sounds like we may still deal Wheeler if we get a sweet enough offer. Honestly keeping him and making a run at a WC at this point isn't a bad plan either. Pretty weak schedule down the homestretch - it's not likely but you gotta try!

Hearing they may try to add a bullpen arm before the deadline today.

18 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Sounds like we may still deal Wheeler if we get a sweet enough offer. Honestly keeping him and making a run at a WC at this point isn't a bad plan either. Pretty weak schedule down the homestretch - it's not likely but you gotta try!

Hearing they may try to add a bullpen arm before the deadline today.

Yeah, for as bad as they've been we're only 5 games out of the WC at this point.  Not really hopeful yet but if they don't go on a fire sale next year could be interesting.

Rotation of deGrom/Thor/Stroman plus Matz (assuming he stays in the rotation) and maybe Wheeler (if he isn't dealt today).

Position players: Alonso, Conforto, McNeil, Davis and Smith are a nice young core.  Rosario (if he figures it out), Cano (if he figures it out at least a little bit) and a couple other pieces wouldn't be bad.

Basically, if they can add a couple bullpen arms to make it serviceable it might be interesting.  If you can roll out deGrom/Thor/Stroman in a playoff series that would be as good as any.

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, for as bad as they've been we're only 5 games out of the WC at this point.  Not really hopeful yet but if they don't go on a fire sale next year could be interesting. 

Rotation of deGrom/Thor/Stroman plus Matz (assuming he stays in the rotation) and maybe Wheeler (if he isn't dealt today). 

Position players: Alonso, Conforto, McNeil, Davis and Smith are a nice young core.  Rosario (if he figures it out), Cano (if he figures it out at least a little bit) and a couple other pieces wouldn't be bad. 

Basically, if they can add a couple bullpen arms to make it serviceable it might be interesting.  If you can roll out deGrom/Thor/Stroman in a playoff series that would be as good as any. 

Agreed! The bats need to get more consistent - looking at you, Cano - but the nucleus is very solid.

Wheeler is replaceable in free agency if we do trade him, but we'd have to get something good back. Otherwise might as well hold, extend him later or give him a QO and if he walks take the draft pick instead.

Really interested in what happens here this next hour and a half. I was so sure this season was a bust but they are right in the thick of it again.

Wheeler is replaceable in free agency if we do trade him, but we'd have to get something good back. Otherwise might as well hold, extend him later or give him a QO and if he walks take the draft pick instead.

ESPN says it's Astros or Rays if Wheeler gets traded.  

10 minutes to go...

22 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Would've liked to see a reliever added. Seems like everyone else in the NL East stocked up. Guess we'll dance with who brung us...

I wonder with adding Stroman and keeping Wheeler if they'll consider sending Matz back to the pen for the rest of the season.  Obviously we still need another starter without Vargas and I don't like that long-term but something has to change to have any chance this year.

19 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Well I guess making a run it is!

That's fine as we can either extend Wheeler or get compensation if he walks.

Would've liked to see a reliever added. Seems like everyone else in the NL East stocked up. Guess we'll dance with who brung us...

better hope he doesnt end up on the dallas kuechel/craig kimbel path.