Phoenix Shop Lifting

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I am being honest about the discussion.  I've said punish the cops many times.

And....what the hell have I said in this thread that makes you all of a sudden bring race into the issue?

It's not what you said.  The reason this is national news is because of the race issue and the police reaction.  There is a reason you aren't commenting on a story about the kid caught stealing a toy from the dollar store in Pierce, NE.

C'mon man!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

You are missing the point though....the cops acted like they rolled up on a serial killer with 20 lbs of cocaine and AK47's in their car. This was an absolute discgrace of law enforcement. The cops need to be fired 100% - no normal human being acts that way, especially with a small child present. Talking about shooting and killing them for shop lifting a $4 item. Cmon man

:dunno

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're right.  Discipline the cops.  

Which, brings me to the other side of what pisses me off.  If the cops had done this the right way, the pressure would still be on the original criminals in the incident.  The cops rushing in with guns pulled ruined punishing an actual crime. 

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not having sympathy for the cops.  How many times do I have to say the cops need punished?

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I am being honest about the discussion.  I've said punish the cops many times.

Were the cops over zealous with pulling their guns?  Sure.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

:dunno

Then why bring this up?

One question: do you think the family was mistreated?

That's why this is news.  Not because they were "good people" wrongly accused...

I don't see why you have a hard time understanding the frustrations; assuming you'll answer "yes" to my question.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just because the cops did their jobs wrong, I can't talk about the fact that the family was shop lifting?  

This is friggen weird.  

Why can't I talk about the family shop lifting and thinking they should be charged?

I hear ya cluckin. It's two wrongs and neither one makes a right. The cops were way out of line, and if the parents were shoplifting too they are terrible parents and should be punished as well.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just because the cops did their jobs wrong, I can't talk about the fact that the family was shop lifting?  

This is friggen weird.  

Why can't I talk about the family shop lifting and thinking they should be charged?

I guess you can.  But there are far more local and less polarizing examples to use.

If this is meant to be a conversation about shoplifters getting away, then I'm out of line...

Just now, ZRod said:

I hear ya cluckin. It's two wrongs and neither one makes a right. The cops were way out of line, and if the parents were shoplifting too they are terrible parents and should be punished as well.

This isn't 2 kids punching eachother and both getting grounded.  This is one person's child taking a cheap doll, and another group of people dehumanizing a citizen.  

It is NOT equal.  But we're not talking about that.  We are discussing the evidence and procedures revolving around the shoplifting case.  No need to bring up police behavior, it's already been chastised.  

:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This isn't 2 kids punching eachother and both getting grounded.  This is one person's child taking a cheap doll, and another group of people dehumanizing a citizen.  

It is NOT equal.  But we're not talking about that.  We are discussing the evidence and procedures revolving around the shoplifting case.  No need to bring up police behavior, it's already been chastised.  

:rolleyes:

The cops are being chastised and rightfully so.  

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

One question: do you think the family was mistreated?

The answer is "yes".

But, my problem is all of a sudden everyone thinks what they did doesn't need to be punished and it's no big deal.  

@ZRod is right.  They BOTH are wrong and BOTH should be appropriately punished.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The cops are being chastised and rightfully so.  

The answer is "yes".

But, my problem is all of a sudden everyone thinks what they did doesn't need to be punished and it's no big deal.  

@ZRod is right.  They BOTH are wrong and BOTH should be appropriately punished.

My god....

Are you trying to miss the point?  People aren't upset because they were "wrongly accused of shoplifting" , they are upset for the things you freely admit.

I guess I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

My god....

Are you trying to miss the point?  People aren't upset because they were "wrongly accused of shoplifting" , they are upset for the things you freely admit.

I guess I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

Why can't we be fully capable of being outraged by the actions of the officers, and angry at the people stealing? Surely we are capable of having discussions about both with out failing to grasp the significance of either incident?

• Plus1 2

I think the issue in this discussion is that most people here look at this as one incident.  One big mess where the cops are 

I actually look at this as two completely separate incidents and one incident shouldn't eliminate the other incident from being punished.

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'll just say this: I hope the city pays them the $10,000,000 they are suing for, and they return the doll....

If I were on the jury, I would award them something, but it probably wouldn't be 10,000,000.

But, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed on the jury.  :)

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think the issue in this discussion is that most people here look at this as one incident.  One big mess where the cops are 

I actually look at this as two completely separate incidents and one incident shouldn't eliminate the other incident from being punished.

Even when there as no citations or arrests?  And the store manager declined to press charges?  Before this was a national story?

I'll roll my eyes to someone stealing underwear.  I will be outraged when police act like this.  It is two different instances; one is worthy of discussion, the other an eyeroll...

• Thanks 1