Phoenix Shop Lifting

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

Even when there as no citations or arrests?  And the store manager declined to press charges?  Before this was a national story?

Yep.

There's a good chance the store and cops didn't press charges BECAUSE of how the cops handled it and they're trying to cover their asses.

I'm completely capable of disagreeing with that and still think the parents should be charged.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.

There's a good chance the store and cops didn't press charges BECAUSE of how the cops handled it and they're trying to cover their asses.

I'm completely capable of disagreeing with that and still think the parents should be charged.

If your four year old steals a candy bar from Walmart.  And you don't discover it until you get home (15 minutes away), how would you handle it?

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If your four year old steals a candy bar from Walmart.  And you don't discover it until you get home (15 minutes away), how would you handle it?

Before I answer this, I need a clarification.

While my 4 year old was stealing the candy bar, was I stealing a pair of shoes and did my wife see her carrying it out knowing we didn't pay for it?

Just now, funhusker said:

The man apparently stole a pack of underwear, and the daughter a (assuming) cheap doll.  

I'd hate to assume too much about a family with such a sad "shopping list".  

Something about the old saying "stealing bread to feed a starving family".

What in the holy.....?

Your family is starving so it's OK to steal underwear and a doll?

You are taking this conversation in a really weird direction to fit your agenda.

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

What in the holy.....?

Your family is starving so it's OK to steal underwear and a doll?

You are taking this conversation in a really weird direction to fit your agenda.

Look, I'd have no problem with them being charged.  I'm not the one with an agenda here.

I just don't understand why you chose these shoplifters, that you admit were mistreated, to be upset with.  

Again, I don't get the point of the OP unless it is to discuss the mistreatment.  But you claim it isn't, and also don't seem to care about the shoplifting that goes on locally.  

:dunno

10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The man apparently stole a pack of underwear, and the daughter a (assuming) cheap doll.  

I'd hate to assume too much about a family with such a sad "shopping list".  

Something about the old saying "stealing bread to feed a starving family".

Lol you lost me there. I guess some people might eat underwear. You didn’t want to assume, but you immediately assumed. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

Look, I'd have no problem with them being charged.  I'm not the one with an agenda here.

I just don't understand why you chose these shoplifters, that you admit were mistreated, to be upset with.  

Again, I don't get the point of the OP unless it is to discuss the mistreatment.  But you claim it isn't, and also don't seem to care about the shoplifting that goes on locally.  

:dunno

I thought it was pretty clear.

I admit the cops handled it wrong.  I admit they should be punished.  I've said it many times.  I've quoted myself even in a post showing I've said that a number of times.

I said in the original post that I also have an issue with this couple being looked at as poor innocent victims in all of this.  

I understand now that you are unable to separate the issues and look at both as doing wrong (while one being worse than the other).  But, I am OK with doing that.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

That does piss me off.  I can be pissed off at the 3-4 people who shop lifted AND at the idiotic security guard.

I'm confused as to why you think I would feel differently about this incident than the one in the OP?  And...what point are you trying to make by posting this here?  Are you trying to show that the OP is not the only situation where idiots handle shop lifters wrong?

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I thought it was pretty clear.

I admit the cops handled it wrong.  I admit they should be punished.  I've said it many times.  I've quoted myself even in a post showing I've said that a number of times.

I said in the original post that I also have an issue with this couple being looked at as poor innocent victims in all of this.  

I understand now that you are unable to separate the issues and look at both as doing wrong (while one being worse than the other).  But, I am OK with doing that.

I'm not unable to look at both as wrong.  

I also understand this isn't a shoplifting issue.  It is an excessive police force issue.  

I'm fending off the belief that "well, if they would have just followed the law...."  Whether that is your intent or not, makes no difference to me.

Bad police need to face bad consequences.  And if it is a pack of underwear and a cheap doll that brings them out, so be it.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That does piss me off.  I can be pissed off at the 3-4 people who shop lifted AND at the idiotic security guard.

I'm confused as to why you think I would feel differently about this incident than the one in the OP?  And...what point are you trying to make by posting this here?  Are you trying to show that the OP is not the only situation where idiots handle shop lifters wrong?

Just trying to understand why you chose a national story about police brutality to soapbox about shoplifters.  

Just all around odd.

Shoplifters should be punished. But in my opinion, getting roughed up at gunpoint in front of your kids (and the whole world) is a worse punishment than a typical shoplifting citation, and an unreasonable punishment at that. 

• Thanks 2