Frost presser and big play comments

lo country

37 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Frost's comment about play calling in OT is very telling about his confidence in Martinez right now.

It's not there.

He's not reading the D well and likely coupled with receivers struggling to be consistently available.  Unless it's a quick swing pass he's just holding the ball.  I kept saying "throw it, throw it, throw it" so many times yesterday.

Coach Verdu needs to simplify things or some other plan.  I don't know what it is, but Adrian is mentally not there at the moment.  

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I think criticism of the O line is highly warranted. Jurgens may be a good athlete, but he needs to add 15 more pound and a lot more strength. He's not very good when someone is head up on him. He did improve from game 1 to 2, but he lacks the strength to drive block.

Guard and tackle play is inconsistent. Sometimes they are driving guys, sometimes they are stagnant. We really lack athleticism laterally. If the D line slants away we have a hard time getting anything more than a chip on them.

All over we lack communication and awareness. Guys aren't picking up line stunts and edge blitzers with 4 man rushes. Double teams get to the second level, but we don't scrape to the LBs. We also don't maintain blocks long enough. There were several plays this week that could have been 8 yard gains if guys stayed with their blocks a second longer. Instead we only got 2 or 3.

All that said there is something amiss with Adrian right now. He doesn't have touch on the ball, and he's trying to throw to open receivers instead of throwing guys open. He's thinking too much. I'd honestly rather he just take off if he's that unsure.

My sentiments exactly. The linemen need to literally hold their blocks longer. Lord knows refs don't call holding anymore. Same for Martinez. 2 reads. If those two reads aren't there, run. 

What worries me is that we have no consistent running game at all. Every time we try to run through the tackles, we get stuffed. Running sideways helps a little but will not help against teams with speed. Either we are not utilizing our running backs correctly or our coaches are not calling the right plays or our Oline is not capable of opening holes for these runners. Colorado state put up more yards on Colorado than we did. That is alarming. 

The big big plays we allowed are also a big concern. We will face many good QB and if we continue to get gashed like this, then we are not going to win many games. We will play Purdue at their backyard and their QB is much better than Martinez in my opinion. With all the great recruits we got, we are not seeing the productivity on the field.

Unfortunately Scott Frost is correct.

On offense this team cannot control the line of scrimmage, so sustained drives are out of the question.

An with a defense that allowed 31 send half points by Colorado, it will be a challenge to outscore opponents.