Wide Receivers and Running Backs

thatguy

Severe and Benning discuss this topic at the end of their interview with Sam McKewon.  His main points were:  1) it's hard to play guys who are young and may make a mistake in a game against Illinois, because every possession and play was so important in the 2nd half.  Any mistake might have derailed the comeback.  2)  As mentioned earlier in the thread, the WR's and RB's need to be able to play 4-5 snaps in a row, without coming out.  NU wants to stay in the same formations, because it limits the defense subbing, and NU can play faster.  The offense isn't designed for a guy to come in for 1 snap and then come out.  Frost calls diverse plays and can't have guys who are hesitant or uncertain.  3) McKewon isn't sure about Woodyard and Warner is obviously not healthy, because Warner would be playing, if healthy.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm...Both JD and Robinson have the most catches at 18 and 17 respectively.  That's roughly 4-5 catches per game.  Is that really out of line for your top two receivers?  I don't think so.  

The next highest is Washington at 10.  SO, that's roughly 2.5 per game.  Not out of line either.

i see your point, but 18 and 17 total exactly 50% of all catches for the season (70). that's high, don't you think? so basically, washington, JD, and robinson account for 45 out of 70 (64%) catches for the entire team thus far. 

for comparison, look at the receptions of the top 2 and top 3 receivers for teams like wisconsin (35% and 49%), ohio state (34% and 52.5%), and oklahoma (33% and 43%). we can compare other teams as well. the number may seem low, but that's actually quite a lot for nebraska. 

Just now, thatguy said:

i see your point, but 18 and 17 total exactly 50% of all catches for the season (70). that's high, don't you think? so basically, washington, JD, and robinson account for 45 out of 70 (64%) catches for the entire team thus far. 

for comparison, look at the receptions of the top 2 and top 3 receivers for teams like wisconsin (35% and 49%), ohio state (34% and 52.5%), and oklahoma (33% and 43%). we can compare other teams as well. the number may seem low, but that's actually quite a lot for nebraska. 

Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Oklahoma have also had 3 blowout wins.  It's a lot easier to play guys lower on the depth chart when the games aren't in doubt.

• Plus1 3

36 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Presumably (what I've heard, anyways), is that most of the players on that list can't be trusted with knowing more than 4 plays at the moment. Frost wants to run fast, and needs WRs out there that know more than just one or two plays/route combinations, and from the sound of it, there are only 3-4 WRs that have enough knowledge of the offense to get some run. Houston and Chase are still young, and Williams is getting regular snaps. Nance, Woodyard and McQuitty must be "swimming in it", so to speak. Warner will help out a ton when he gets healthy. 

Miles Jones, barring an injury, might be the most disappointing Frost recruit thus far. 

I think you can add blocking ability to the equation.  I so miss watching Stanley Morgan play.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Most teams have 2-3 receivers that get the bulk of the work. Frost likes to use TEs and RBs in his passing game too so they eat up a chunk of the passes. We're averaging 17.5 completed passes per game on 28 attempts so there hasn't been a ton of passes to go around and some guys might be dropping their opportunities.

In the last couple weeks Mike Williams and Noa are seeing more opportunities and I imagine that'll continue, but that is already 4 receivers and that's a decent rotation. So, the other guys likely aren't seeing a ton of snaps.

As far as RB's go a lot of teams have maybe 2 guys get the bulk of the work and NU has basically had 3 with Wandale. So, there isn't a lot of time beyond those 3. I know people like Mazour and I think he continues to see spot work, but he averaged 3.0 YPC against USA and NIU. His two carries against Illinois looked good so he may see a bit more work. As far as Rahmir he has only played against NIU so far that I can remember so I am guessing a redshirt there. All of our RBs besides Mazour are back next year so we don't need him now unless he's far and away better in practice.

about mazour, you say that now, but the room is going to get even more crowded next year than it is now with legit starting running backs..

washington

wandale

mazour

rahmir

mills

thompkins

belt

sevion morrison

marvin scott

10 minutes ago, thatguy said:

about mazour, you say that now, but the room is going to get even more crowded next year than it is now with legit starting running backs..

washington

wandale

mazour

rahmir

mills

thompkins

belt

sevion morrison

marvin scott

Thompkins will be in line to replace Mills as the "big back" in the offense in 2021, and could do that in 2020 if Mills continues his fumble problems.  Rahmir will add another dimension with his sprinter's speed.  I don't know much about Morrison or Scott, but either one could add depth if Mo's legal problems get him off the team.  I know Belt is on the team, but I would expect Frost and staff to continue to try and recruit over him.

• Plus1 1

This topic is good bulletin board material but in my opinion, the only things that matter (in this order) are:

1. What are your team's passing yard numbers?

2. Are the guys that are primarily on the field in shape enough to handle all of the snaps?

That's it. There really isn't much more of a discussion. If they're in shape and you're racking up a lot of passing yards, that's all that matters.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thompkins will be in line to replace Mills as the "big back" in the offense in 2021, and could do that in 2020 if Mills continues his fumble problems.  Rahmir will add another dimension with his sprinter's speed.  I don't know much about Morrison or Scott, but either one could add depth if Mo's legal problems get him off the team.  I know Belt is on the team, but I would expect Frost and staff to continue to try and recruit over him.

I love talking running backs.  I couldn't agree more with you.  I watched Thomkins running drills early in the year and was like, yup thats it, that's the running style we are looking for.  Super balanced, with great lateral ability and size.  Mills is a wild card here, if he could just run with a little more patience and have just one side move he would be getting 5 yards a pop.  Qzigbo was so good at that. 

Here is my humble opinion of how it breaks out next year.

1A.  Thomkins- workhorse 

1B.  Washington - hybrid- slot/rb (needs to be on the field 80% of the time, somewhere)

2.  Wandale - hybrid slot/rb- more often than not slot (needs to be on the field 80% of the time, somewhere)

3A.  Rahmir - he may surprise us and jump up, but I think Thomkins is better rb, not faster, just a better rb 

3B.  Mills - we know he is tough, maybe he makes the adjustments and rises back up to the top

4.  everybody else- haven't had a chance to study the new guys.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

This topic is good bulletin board material but in my opinion, the only things that matter (in this order) are:

1. What are your team's passing yard numbers?

2. Are the guys that are primarily on the field in shape enough to handle all of the snaps?

That's it. There really isn't much more of a discussion. If they're in shape and you're racking up a lot of passing yards, that's all that matters.

You are exactly right.  I think a lot of people (including myself a bit) think back to the UCF offense in 2017.  They seemed to have so many skill guys making plays.  But, we weren't immersed with the team like we are with Nebraska, so we may not have really "known" UCF.

1 minute ago, CAHusker said:

I love talking running backs.  I couldn't agree more with you.  I watched Thomkins running drills early in the year and was like, yup thats it, that's the running style we are looking for.  Super balanced, with great lateral ability and size.  Mills is a wild card here, if he could just run with a little more patience and have just one side move he would be getting 5 yards a pop.  Qzigbo was so good at that. 

Here is my humble opinion of how with breaks out next year.

1A.  Thomkins- workhouse 

1B.  Washington - hybrid- slot/rb (needs to be on the field 80% of the time, somewhere)

2.  Wandale - hybrid slot/rb- more often than not slot (needs to be on the field 80% of the time, somewhere)

3A.  Rahmir - he may surprise us and jump up, but I think Thomkins is better rb, not faster, just a better rb 

3B.  Mills - we know he is tough, maybe he makes the adjustments and rises back up to the top

4.  everybody else- haven't had a chance to study the new guys.

He's already doing that.. He's at exactly 5 ypc for the year. I think Tompkins can be really good, but I don't see any way he's option 1a by next year. It'll be Mills/Washington/Wan'dale in some packages again IMO, but I think we'll be more confident in rotating backups in. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Husker in WI said:

He's already doing that.. He's at exactly 5 ypc for the year. I think Tompkins can be really good, but I don't see any way he's option 1a by next year. It'll be Mills/Washington/Wan'dale in some packages again IMO, but I think we'll be more confident in rotating backups in. 

Probably could have explained that better.  Lets focus on the eye test, how many times has Mills ran directly into the back of an offensive linemen, or tried to just run over a guy vs making one move.  I am rooting for him, he seems like a good guy and you can tell he wants to do well.  This much talent is a great problem to have.  :)