Wide Receivers and Running Backs

thatguy

16 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Probably could have explained that better.  Lets focus on the eye test, how many times has Mills ran directly into the back of an offensive linemen, or tried to just run over a guy vs making one move. 

This definitely happened in the first two games, but in the last two it really didn't occur that much at all. He started finding holes and he's broken some good runs - a couple nice 10+ yard TD runs.

So the question is whether the trend over the last two games continues. If it does and he can lose the fumbleitis, we're looking pretty good at RB across the stretch of games 7-12, which are the ones we need to win to win the West. 

33 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Probably could have explained that better.  Lets focus on the eye test, how many times has Mills ran directly into the back of an offensive linemen, or tried to just run over a guy vs making one move.  I am rooting for him, he seems like a good guy and you can tell he wants to do well.  This much talent is a great problem to have.  :)

I think a lot of recruiting followers were big on Thompkins, I think Severe really liked his film.  His knee injury limited Thompkins in camp, but I think the plan is to have him as an option in the last month of the season.  If Mills struggles to hold onto the ball in October, Thompkins could be a guy who is used the last 4 games, and his redshirt is retained.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think a lot of recruiting followers were big on Thompkins, I think Severe really liked his film.  His knee injury limited Thompkins in camp, but I think the plan is to have him as an option in the last month of the season.  If Mills struggles to hold onto the ball in October, Thompkins could be a guy who is used the last 4 games, and his redshirt is retained.

I follow recruiting a little, I think the consensus was if he was healthy in high school, we probably don't get him.   I saw some clips of him running drills earlier in the year and it just looked different from all our other backs.  It appears he could be special, and by special I mean Washington and Wandale special.  Obviously they are different kinds of players, but nobody here is going to say those guys are not on a different level.  If I am wrong about Mills staying our main big back, I am totally fine with that.  I love all these players and want to see them succeed.  

13 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I follow recruiting a little, I think the consensus was if he was healthy in high school, we probably don't get him.   I saw some clips of him running drills earlier in the year and it just looked different from all our other backs.  It appears he could be special, and by special I mean Washington and Wandale special.  Obviously they are different kinds of players, but nobody here is going to say those guys are not on a different level.  If I am wrong about Mills staying our main big back, I am totally fine with that.  I love all these players and want to see them succeed.  

Who knows what would have happened if he didn't get injured, but he committed to NU before his senior year and had already visited LSU and Penn State and had offers from most of the top programs in the country. His first concern after getting hurt was if NU would drop him so I think we had a good chance even without the injury. https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Cornhuskers-honor-football-scholarship-for-Ronald-Thompkins-after-ACL-tear-121202254/

1 hour ago, Undone said:

This topic is good bulletin board material but in my opinion, the only things that matter (in this order) are:

1. What are your team's passing yard numbers?

2. Are the guys that are primarily on the field in shape enough to handle all of the snaps?

That's it. There really isn't much more of a discussion. If they're in shape and you're racking up a lot of passing yards, that's all that matters.

those are the two central questions, but its a long season man. it would be a hard to look back and see that the reason why the offense sputtered out at some points (if it does), is because backups were not prepared in live moments. it's all about preparation and hedging your bets.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, thatguy said:

those are the two central questions, but its a long season man. it would be a hard to look back and see that the reason why the offense sputtered out at some points (if it does), is because backups were not prepared in live moments. it's all about preparation and hedging your bets.

Definitely a reasonable take.

When we go with the two tight end sets, we're only using two wideouts. So Noa & Williams will probably split that time while JD will probably have to handle a ton of snaps. That's just kind of how it is when you're a guy like JD.

But the two tight end sets help a bit with letting your primary receivers rest a bit.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 10:40 AM, WyoHusker56 said:

Most teams have 2-3 receivers that get the bulk of the work. Frost likes to use TEs and RBs in his passing game too so they eat up a chunk of the passes. We're averaging 17.5 completed passes per game on 28 attempts so there hasn't been a ton of passes to go around and some guys might be dropping their opportunities.

In the last couple weeks Mike Williams and Noa are seeing more opportunities and I imagine that'll continue, but that is already 4 receivers and that's a decent rotation. So, the other guys likely aren't seeing a ton of snaps.

As far as RB's go a lot of teams have maybe 2 guys get the bulk of the work and NU has basically had 3 with Wandale. So, there isn't a lot of time beyond those 3. I know people like Mazour and I think he continues to see spot work, but he averaged 3.0 YPC against USA and NIU. His two carries against Illinois looked good so he may see a bit more work. As far as Rahmir he has only played against NIU so far that I can remember so I am guessing a redshirt there. All of our RBs besides Mazour are back next year so we don't need him now unless he's far and away better in practice.

i think today's game shows that there needs to be some type of adjustment to the way wider receivers and running backs are prepared to play. in the past two weeks, frost mentioned woodyard, rahmir johnson, and mcquitty.

then they all come on the field for ome play eash, where they are used as decoys, then sent back to the sideline.

and then JD got hurt. there's officially something wrong somewhere.

2 hours ago, thatguy said:

i think today's game shows that there needs to be some type of adjustment to the way wider receivers and running backs are prepared to play. in the past two weeks, frost mentioned woodyard, rahmir johnson, and mcquitty.

then they all come on the field for ome play eash, where they are used as decoys, then sent back to the sideline.

and then JD got hurt. there's officially something wrong somewhere.

Woodyard was on the field a few plays and honestly I think one of the plays he was meant to be the target but early pressure got to am

6 minutes ago, thatguy said:

So.. just the one possible target for a guy who the head coach openly said NEEDS to be more involved? 

He may have been the primary recievers on other plays he was in too but I know for sure on one play we were trying to get him loose deep and it would have worked if AM had the time (and confidence) to throw it to him.

It is still weird to me how little we play other guys. I get the idea of there's no such thing as a "gamer" and they have to earn it in practice, but is everyone else practicing that bad? And even if they're not consistent yet, don't the flashes earn a little bit of playing time? Rahmir made it in for one series, but that's it. Not a lot of Woodyard, a little bit more Williams, and no Chase. Is it that difficult to give them a shot?

I'm also off the Noa train. He's had several drops - the one yesterday was not a great throw, but that's a catch he has to make. And there was one play where Martinez had to keep signalling him to move off the line to avoid him covering up the TE. I was under the impression he was out there for 2 reasons - he plays smart and he can catch. Neither have really been evident consistently. If the coaches are serious about limiting the things Martinez needs to worry about, a Senior receiver lining up wrong is pretty bad. Why not live with somebody more explosive potentially lining up wrong instead?

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Based on the presser today, Frost does not in any way agree with my assessment of Noa. So I look forward to him proving me wrong!

Frost has been very clear that he's not going to criticize individual players, so what he says concerning player performance MAY need to be taken with a grain of salt....... :)  I guess one can't expect anything else from Frost when he is pressed about critiquing specific players.....

6 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Frost has been very clear that he's not going to criticize individual players, so what he says concerning player performance MAY need to be taken with a grain of salt....... :)  I guess one can't expect anything else from Frost when he is pressed about critiquing specific players.....

True, but "Kanawai is playing really well" or whatever exact thing he said is hard to take the wrong way.