Big 12 poll released

Big 12 poll released

By: wire reports

Date: Jul 20, 2006

DALLAS -- Nebraska was picked to win the North division and Oklahoma the South in a preseason poll of media that cover the Big 12 Conference.

Nebraska returns 16 starters off of last year's 8-4 team that tied for second (4-4) in the North and beat Michigan in the MasterCard Alamo Bowl. The Huskers led the Big 12 in red zone defense in 2005, holding the opposition scoreless 33.3 percent of the time it penetrated the 20-yardline while also recording an NCAA-leading 50 sacks.

Iowa State was chosen to finish second in the North, followed by Colorado, Kansas, Missouri and Kansas State.

Oklahoma welcomes back 13 starters from its 2005 squad, including Adrian Peterson who became the first running back in OU history to amass 3,000 rushing yards (3,033) in his first two seasons. The Sooners finished 8-4 overall and 6-2 in the Big 12 last year while ending the season with a win over then-No. 6 ranked Oregon in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl.

Defending national champion Texas was picked to finish second in the South, followed by Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and Baylor.

The winners of the North and South divisions will square off in the 2006 Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship Dec. 2, at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium. The game will be telecast nationally by ABC at 7 p.m. CT.

Big 12 teams will be in Kansas City Monday-Wednesday for the annual Big 12 Football Media Day. The 2006 season opens with a full slate of non-conference games beginning Aug. 31.

2006 Big 12 Preseason Football Poll (Media Vote)

North

1. Nebraska (21) 160

2. Iowa State (5) 128

3. Colorado (2) 93

4. Kansas 85

5. Missouri 82

6. Kansas State 40

South

1. Oklahoma (23) 163

2. Texas (5) 144

3. Texas Tech 106

4. Texas A&M 81

5. Oklahoma State 49

6. Baylor 46

First place votes in parentheses

I'm personally surprised OU has such a big lead over Texas

I dunno I asked two UT fans how excited they were about this upcoming season and well one expressed it would be tough with a QB w/ no exp. The other (decked out in all burnt orange) went into complete panic and said he would support them even if they lost alot. Looks like they are expecting to lose. Not a dominating vibe I am getting from the fans of the returning National Champs. hehe

Oh well just a little side story, yeah UT is probably not going to finish first in the South. I think the poll is pretty accurate and I hope it rings true for the Huskers! An NU and OU matchup would be very rewarding to cap off the season.

Adrian Peterson is getting lots of hype for winning the Heisman. They also started 4th in the country last season before they lost a couple and struggled.

Glad to KSU is picked where they belong. :thumbs

Peterson deserves every bit of it. When healthy he's one of the most dominating backs in this generation. Problem is, he runs so damn hard, he keeps hurting himself.

Without a doubt this is his last year in college. There are only so many hits a train can take before he falls off the track

The South could be interesting this year. If OU does not win it, I am not completely sure Texas will either. Maybe Tech???

It is very nice to see that KSUcks is in the basement again. Their inbred fans will still think they are the best team in the country and that they are getting hosed in the polls.

Post #400!!!!! YEAH!!!!! :cheers

is anyone else just not buying the OU hype? Sure they exposed Oregon for the frauds that they are, but I just dont think they are going to be that great. They return a couple of good guys on Defense, but the loss of Dusty (cant spell his name, wont even attempt) will be a huge whole to fill. Outside of Paul Thompson, they are pretty young at WR, and if Peterson is injured early, they wont be very good. i dunno.. i just cant quite put my finger on it, but i dont think they will be very good. pretty weak reasoning, call it a hunch i guess.

is anyone else just not buying the OU hype? Sure they exposed Oregon for the frauds that they are, but I just dont think they are going to be that great. They return a couple of good guys on Defense, but the loss of Dusty (cant spell his name, wont even attempt) will be a huge whole to fill. Outside of Paul Thompson, they are pretty young at WR, and if Peterson is injured early, they wont be very good. i dunno.. i just cant quite put my finger on it, but i dont think they will be very good. pretty weak reasoning, call it a hunch i guess.

I buy them. They were a different team at the end of last season and are only going to improve as Bomar matures and Peterson stays healthy. The defense returns Rufus Alexander, who is probably neck and neck with McKeon for best linebacker in the Big 12. The guy is a stud, completely dominated in the NU-OU game last year. CJ Ah You is coming back as well and he is a force on the outside. Reggie Smith is a preseason pick for 2nd team all conference. OU is looking pretty good at this point. However, if Peterson gets hurt, they could end up with a season similar to last years.