Progressive politics and where they go from here

• 6 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Thanks, but maybe wrong thread?

I'm glad to see ranked-choice voting.

I thought it was the right thread, since NYC voters (who are roughly 70% registered Ds) rejected 3 other progressive candidates (and about 10 others) in favor of a former NYC cop who campaigned as a centrist/moderate. Seems telling as to the current state of belief in progressive politics...at least in NYC.

I too like ranked choice. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I thought it was the right thread, since NYC voters (who are roughly 70% registered Ds) rejected 3 other progressive candidates (and about 10 others) in favor of a former NYC cop who campaigned as a centrist/moderate. Seems telling as to the current state of belief in progressive politics...at least in NYC.

I too like ranked choice. 

Ok, I didn't follow NYC mayoral race too closely and only knew about one of the progressive candidates. Certainly interesting if ranked-choice causes less progressive Dem candidates in NYC, but I'm not sure of the cause-effect here.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Ok, I didn't follow NYC mayoral race too closely and only knew about one of the progressive candidates. Certainly interesting if ranked-choice causes less progressive Dem candidates in NYC, but I'm not sure of the cause-effect here.

Well, being able to support/vote for candidates that aren't at the extremes is one major part of why so many of us like RCV.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Certainly interesting if ranked-choice causes less progressive Dem candidates in NYC, but I'm not sure of the cause-effect here.

It will be interesting to see if this result repeats elsewhere. But, most places aren't as solidly D as NYC

22 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

It will be interesting to see if this result repeats elsewhere. But, most places aren't as solidly D as NYC

It's possible that NYC isn't quite as solid D as previously thought.  Maybe there's just a vast majority that leans D but wishes they had other options.

I would love to have it in Nebraska and really see how many people are MAGA head type extreme Republicans.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, being able to support/vote for candidates that aren't at the extremes is one major part of why so many of us like RCV.

I think it will actually lead to more candidates that are not mainstream winning (including "extreme" candidates) because it frees voters from having to do the political calculation of who's likely to win. It's especially helpful for 3rd party candidates.