Time to go back to the option/power offense

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah. Down by 8 in the 4th quarter, second & goal from the 4...if it's not there, toss it into the third row of the stadium and live to see 3rd down.

If we took a poll and the majority of people chalked that play up to bad look, then fine. I've posted this what seems like 10 times since Saturday afternoon but I'll say it again: The big issue is we need to drive back the line of scrimmage with a RB that can make something out of nothing and get into the damn end zone.

That's probably the real issue.

Ya if you watch that play I think an incompletion was your best case scenario. Luke was trying hit the TE I think and he had a guy draped all over him.

Our inability to get into the endzone is just ridiculous. We cut through NW all day and then stalled in the red zone. The RB issue you mention is spot on and I don't think Mills is gonna get it done. Martinez was our leading rusher again and LM was third. Mills put up 59 yards on 19 carries. Yes in Frost's offense you want the QB being a major run threat, but if AM or LM put up 80, 90 100 yards then the RB should be putting up another 100, 150, or more. Until our QB stops being our leading rusher every week we'll struggle in the redzone because it's easier to stop the QB run down there than in the middle of the field.

The OP brings up an interesting conversation. When you are Nebraska and will consistently get 20-25 ranked recruiting classes, do you need a "gimmick" (for lack of a better word) to compete with the OSU/Wisconsin/Penn St of the conference. We're never gonna out OSU, OSU. Hell I don't think we're gonna out power football Wisconsin ever again, they've cornered the market on that style. I was insanely hopeful that speed was going to be Frost's thing. We weren't gonna out talent you, but I thought we would move with tempo and have burners all over the field. Fast forward 3 years and we have slow walk on receivers and featured two power backs. What exactly are we trying to hang our hat on. 

22 minutes ago, Undone said:

He didn't put the ball where it needed to go though, right?

15 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I mean Undone said stupid INTs and throwing a pass into the back of one of your lineman's helmets is pretty stupid.

The original claim was that LM threw a stupid interception. A pass that bounces off a helmet and is then intercepted is not stupid in my book, it's just unlucky.

The NW QB that threw the interception that was undercut by Farmer was a stupid interception.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

The original claim was that LM threw a stupid interception. A pass that bounces off a helmet and is then intercepted is not stupid in my book, it's just unlucky.

The NW QB that threw the interception that was undercut by Farmer was a stupid interception.

I'd disagree in this case. It was covered, and it was forced into a window it did not fit through. A little unlucky that it bounced the way it did, but it's not like a freak thing - the ball was placed in a bad spot, and a bad thing happened. No one would be calling it "unlucky" if Martinez threw it, it would just be bad.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Ya if you watch that play I think an incompletion was your best case scenario. Luke was trying hit the TE I think and he had a guy draped all over him.

Our inability to get into the endzone is just ridiculous. We cut through NW all day and then stalled in the red zone. The RB issue you mention is spot on and I don't think Mills is gonna get it done. Martinez was our leading rusher again and LM was third. Mills put up 59 yards on 19 carries. Yes in Frost's offense you want the QB being a major run threat, but if AM or LM put up 80, 90 100 yards then the RB should be putting up another 100, 150, or more. Until our QB stops being our leading rusher every week we'll struggle in the redzone because it's easier to stop the QB run down there than in the middle of the field.

Agreed, sir.

Again, a ton of handwringing over QB play (and I'm even guilty of that here). Also more handwringing over "bring back the Power I!!!!" But as far as this game was concerned, if we just get some push and Dedrick gets into the end zone on that 1st & goal from the 2 and we hadn't missed that previous field goal, we win in spite of the bad QB decisions.

I'm not really in the camp of people that believes our offense is "close." I think we're miles and miles away from being a team that contends for the West.

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'd disagree in this case. It was covered, and it was forced into a window it did not fit through. A little unlucky that it bounced the way it did, but it's not like a freak thing - the ball was placed in a bad spot, and a bad thing happened. No one would be calling it "unlucky" if Martinez threw it, it would just be bad.

I disagree. It was lucky no matter who threw it.

Compare that LM interception to the one AM threw into double coverage where the safety easily picked it off.

Just now, RedDenver said:

I disagree. It was lucky no matter who threw it.

Compare that LM interception to the one AM threw into double coverage where the safety easily picked it off.

If LM's throw makes it past Benhart, it still has to get past a lurking LB (which it looks like it would have) and the covering DB. Both picks were bad, but a jump ball to a 6'8 tight end is in some ways better than praying a laser makes it through traffic on a low trajectory throw that is inherently more likely to be tipped. It is unlucky that is bounced exactly how it did right to the LB, but both are asking for something bad to happen. Also Farniok fell a yard into the end zone on LM's and we were on the 4, so probably should've been flagged for ineligible man downfield. Just to make the play even worse.

I'm fine giving McCaffrey more of a shot, because something needs to change with the offense. But I think we're ignoring a lot of the flags because it's a different guy. I just really don't want to believe our best offense is a series of QB draws, but that was a lot of our yardage on Saturday. 

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Is that on Mills or is that on play calling? Mills was a horse against Wisconsin last year. Why we haven't set a similar gameplan against anyone since is beyond me. With our experienced, big and strong Oline, it seems very odd that we are not letting those guys move the chains for us instead of relying on screen passes or five yard slants that only work occasionally.

14 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Is that on Mills or is that on play calling? Mills was a horse against Wisconsin last year. Why we haven't set a similar gameplan against anyone since is beyond me. With our experienced, big and strong Oline, it seems very odd that we are not letting those guys move the chains for us instead of relying on screen passes or five yard slants that only work occasionally.

As some kind of miracle from heaven, Mills had huge holes created for him in that game to run through. No idea how to account for that.

As it pertains to the question you ask, I'm sure it's squarely up for debate. But is there any argument that if you have a guy in there that can shake n' bake that he'll do better around the trenches?

That just isn't Mills.

15 minutes ago, Undone said:

As some kind of miracle from heaven, Mills had huge holes created for him in that game to run through. No idea how to account for that.

As it pertains to the question you ask, I'm sure it's squarely up for debate. But is there any argument that if you have a guy in there that can shake n' bake that he'll do better around the trenches?

That just isn't Mills.

Well Mills is a power back so I do think he is our best option up the middle. There has been a clear reluctance from the coaches to accept 3-4 yard runs up the middle consistently though. Instead they seem to want to go wide and get space which is fine for speedy backs but we just don't have enough to make it work. And when coaches are reluctant to use a runningback between the tackles, the defense has an easier job. 

When the coaches made a clear commitment to the run game (like vs. Wisconsin last year), it seemed to help the offense flow better. Unfortunately, we seem to want the homerun plays too often and stall our drives too much. Chunk plays can be very helpful but we have to be able to grind out first downs if we want to have success long-term.

I-form and Power Option always seem like the answer, because, at one time, they were the answer. But none of these players were recruited with that system in mind. Nobody would know how to run it. And, even after you got past the learning curve, you have to have a TON of reps to get the rhythm and flow down so that the QB is pulling, keeping and pitching at the right times and places on the field to have it work out. Frost's first year as QB was spent, at least to a decently high degree, figuring out the option distribution and mastering the flow and rhythm. We were far beyond any learning curve with the offense and yet Frost's adjustment was not easy as a first year starter. How long would it take Adrian or Luke to do it? The rest of the season? And a big chunk of next? I am thinking so.

• Plus1 2

But isn't there a bit of a disconnect though with this statement:

46 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

There has been a clear reluctance from the coaches to accept 3-4 yard runs up the middle consistently though.

and the fact that we put up 442 yards of total offense?

Traversing the field and moving the chains wasn't a problem on Saturday - putting points on the board once we got down to the red zone was.

That, and bad special teams and stupid penalties. Our RB had a false start FFS. Against OSU it was a receiver who did the same. Just bad football.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Undone said:

But isn't there a bit of a disconnect though with this statement:

and the fact that we put up 442 yards of total offense?

Traversing the field and moving the chains wasn't a problem on Saturday - putting points on the board once we got down to the red zone was.

That, and bad special teams and stupid penalties. Our RB had a false start FFS. Against OSU it was a receiver who did the same. Just bad football.

Agreed, we put up lots of yards. We still lost the game. And when it matters in the red zone, we have not had the ability to line up and grind out the 3-4 yard gains. Instead we try for gimmicks and tricks instead of trusting that our offensive line is better and can overpower an opponent. 

5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agreed, we put up lots of yards. We still lost the game. And when it matters in the red zone, we have not had the ability to line up and grind out the 3-4 yard gains. Instead we try for gimmicks and tricks instead of trusting that our offensive line is better and can overpower an opponent. 

Agreed.

And where I'm upset is that Frost had this issue last year. And he fired his OC and brings in "his guy." But this stuff still isn't fixed.

One other thought, and I'm not looking for an argument here, but just because a guy is a "power back" doesn't mean there's an excuse for his first couple steps to not be quick and not to slash through the hole. If you just lumber along, those would-be tacklers are one step closer to you and bring you down.

We have to figure out how to put the ball in the end zone once we're inside the 10 yard line this season.

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I can't pretend that I know schemes and play calling well enough to really answer this, but unfortunately so far that Wisconsin game is the exception and not the rules for Mills. More often than not he seems to average around 3 yards a carry and maybe that's play calling. To my eyes though he seems to miss holes and isn't a game breaker that NU needs to make Frost's offense work. I hope he makes it work, but he doesn't seem to have the vision to make things work like I think we need. I could be wrong but that's what i see.