Penn State Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

That's incorrect. I again paused the clip at the 4 second mark where he freezes the mesh point. PSU players I see to the right of the Husker's RT are: the DE on the LOS, the OLB behind the DE at the 6 yardline, the Safety behind and slightly further right at the 4, and the Corner further right at the 4.5. The DE crashes down, so he's not going to get LM on a keeper, but the OLB waits to see who has the ball, so he's going to pursue LM from the inside limiting cutbacks or reversing field. The safety and corner both have a head start on LM getting outside because they're lined up outside. So even if Betts makes a perfect block, LM still has to contend with a DB that has an advantage on getting to the sideline.

It is correct.  The corner is the only one on the outside where LM could have run.  And Betts was there to block him.  The other two were basically right in the middle of the field and it would have been a foot race.  I like LM's odds in a foot race.

It doesn't have to be a perfect block.  All Betts has to do is get in the way.

There is no way that LB can keep up with LM.  He would be there for a cutback but that's it.  Plus he's jumping with both feet off the ground at that point.  He's watching but he's going to be slow.

So he has the safety to beat.  If you can get a play set up with one of your skill guys with one guy to beat, you take that play every day and twice on Saturday.  

The choice isn't "well, if that isn't going to be a TD it should have gone the other way."  It's "we have our best athlete in space with half the field to work with or run the back in to the scrum for one yard."  I like my chances with my best athlete in space.

• Thanks 2
14 hours ago, Mavric said:

It is correct.  The corner is the only one on the outside where LM could have run.  And Betts was there to block him.  The other two were basically right in the middle of the field and it would have been a foot race.  I like LM's odds in a foot race.

It doesn't have to be a perfect block.  All Betts has to do is get in the way.

There is no way that LB can keep up with LM.  He would be there for a cutback but that's it.  Plus he's jumping with both feet off the ground at that point.  He's watching but he's going to be slow.

So he has the safety to beat.  If you can get a play set up with one of your skill guys with one guy to beat, you take that play every day and twice on Saturday.  

The choice isn't "well, if that isn't going to be a TD it should have gone the other way."  It's "we have our best athlete in space with half the field to work with or run the back in to the scrum for one yard."  I like my chances with my best athlete in space.

That's fine. I just don't think it has any better chance of succeeding than the give to the RB since LM needs several things to go right whereas the RB just needs to break one tackle. LM has shown the ability to make guys miss and break tackles, so maybe you're right and he has a better chance, but I don't think it's cut and dry that one is clearly better than the other.