Transfer Portal Help

Interesting article pertaining to QB races and how it's interesting what lead to certain choices - and what happens after.

Also, pertaining to earlier discussion in this thread:

The transfer portal lurks as a temptation for your backup plan and as an answer for your primary plan. If you choose wrong on a quarterback decision within your own roster in today’s sport, you’re going to know it because the guy you didn’t start will be starting for someone else within the year.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Interesting article pertaining to QB races and how it's interesting what lead to certain choices - and what happens after.

Also, pertaining to earlier discussion in this thread:

If you turn to an in-state understated prospect like Vedral, that may mean a scattering of your quarterback room in the transfer portal as more highly-touted prospects sit the bench

I think this has been a huge factor in a lot of the depth chart decisions.  It's probably the same way I would have handled it if I were Frost.  If you picked a different guy, does it kill your depth because they leave?

These decisions are a lot tougher than what we want them to be I imagine.  Knowing what you know now though....

In hindsight, I wonder (If it were true) if he would handle things differently. 

15 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think this has been a huge factor in a lot of the depth chart decisions.  It's probably the same way I would have handled it if I were Frost.  If you picked a different guy, does it kill your depth because they leave?

These decisions are a lot tougher than what we want them to be I imagine.  Knowing what you know now though....

In hindsight, I wonder (If it were true) if he would handle things differently. 

That's pretty much why I think they've done a perfect job recruiting QBs.  They got a highly-rated guy in Martinez.  It's going to be tough to follow that so you get a McCaffrey who is a great athlete but hasn't played much QB so is going to take some developing and can possibly help in other ways.  Then you get another highly-sought-after guy in Smothers.  Then follow that with a local kid with high upside but is maybe more likely to stick it out.

It will probably end up with at least one of them transferring.  But unless you're Clemson getting five-star guys each year and taking your pick I don't know how you lay it out much better.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's pretty much why I think they've done a perfect job recruiting QBs.  They got a highly-rated guy in Martinez.  It's going to be tough to follow that so you get a McCaffrey who is a great athlete but hasn't played much QB so is going to take some developing and can possibly help in other ways.  Then you get another highly-sought-after guy in Smothers.  Then follow that with a local kid with high upside but is maybe more likely to stick it out.

It will probably end up with at least one of them transferring.  But unless you're Clemson getting five-star guys each year and taking your pick I don't know how you lay it out much better.

It's weird how after Westside's state championship run this year has now opened up Frost to criticism that he took the "wrong local kid" in taking Haarberg over Westside's QB, who is headed to NDSU.

Recruiting QB's has to be so challenging because you need to get a QB nearly every year, but only one of them can really play at one time, and so many of them transfer after not winning the starting job within a year or two.  Texas A&M had recruited a number stud QB's after hitting it big with Johnny Manziel.  None of them stuck around long-term, and Sumlin ended up getting fired.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think if Smothers pans out then this may have been the best he could do.  He was never going to take Burrow.  Everyone can criticize after the fact.

He can say he gave LM a shot and keep him as a back up on the depth chart, but he need to be moved.

8 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Really the portal is irrelevant in what we are talking about. It is just a new tool to help organize transfers to make it easy. My points were kids who transferred from their school because they wanted a fresh start. That’s what all the kids in the portal are doing- today’s college football just makes it easier to transfer without penalty and the portal helps the kids find a school. 

some on here were saying transfers rarely pan out and I provided a few high profile transfers as of late that show that false. I think we will see more and more cases of success. I hope we can take advantage of it. Schools like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio state all have like 3 5 star qbs on their rosters. Or near 5. So if the 2nd team guy wants to move on I hope we try to get them. 

There were 19 total 5 star QBs between 2010 and 2018. That's 2 per year.

https://247sports.com/Article/Five-star-quarterbacks-are-transferring-at-staggering-rate-across-college-football-146133402/

• Plus1 1