Purdue - what did we learn?

Wanted to talk a minute about the “safety blitz from 15 yds”

rewatching some highlights last couple days...

those types of blitzes are designed to hopefully bring some late pressure. Which they often did. Their QB would comfortable back there the first 2-2.5 seconds but once the pressure came he was forced to throw right away in that last 3rd second. 
Which means 2 things I like to see:

1. Chins  trusted his guys to cover downfield initially, which they mostly did 

2. We actually created a game plan based on our strength (perceived or otherwise, DBs) and based on looks they saw that could be a weakness for them. I liked them more I watched the film. 

lastly, along with the -2 yds rushing we had also had 9 TFL and 3 sacks, and they actually called 3 holds on them. All very positive stuff from the front to the back end of the defense. 

not every blitz is designed for a sack, not every stunt is designed for a TFL, but we got pressure, held the line, and disrupted enough. I like where the D could be headed with one or two more badasses in the front 7. 

• Plus1 3

Aside from some better playmaking by both Martinez and Taylor-Britt, I am not certain we learned much from this performance.  Far too many mistakes and penalties (9 for more than 100 yards). 

Essentially, we ran into a team that was much more undisciplined than us (11 penalties and a blocked punt) and hung on.  The other item that was affirmed was the presence of the poor culture.  We had a 21 point lead and needed to hang on against a flawed opponent.  In the postgame, it looked as if both Coach Frost and Dicaprio Bootle were letting out a giant sigh of relief.  

We desperately need to clean up the mistakes and the mentality if we want to be competitive every week.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1