What should BC do?

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just checked out Taylor's Facebook. Sounds like he had similar problems at other schools. Some guys posted the quote from Beck's mommy, and then said it reminded him of some other guy's mommy who did the same thing in the past.

ZT's Friend (Wake Forest) wrote

at 11:49am

Not to be a dick or anything but this quote kills.

"Beck-Bothwell told the Journal Star that her son would beat out Taylor for the starting quarterback's job if the coaches devoted more time to him. She said Taylor is "just OK.""

I think Anders' mom made a similiar quote while you were here.

That's the post the guy made. I cut out his name to protect him I guess.

Guys, while I agree that you can't let any single player hold the team hostage, I think perhaps everyone is getting a bit too indignent and upset here.

Beck is a kid still. He has a lot of growing up to do. Has he made a major mistake? Yes. Should he be given a chance to correct it? Hell, yes. College is a time in which you learn about "real life", responsibility, the consequences of your actions.

Yes, he should be required to make amends - the first being an apology to his teammates. Should he have to run or do anything else? My thinking is that you punish him just as you would any other player who has unexcused absense from practice.

But don't go beyond that. It doesn't do anything but foster more resentment. He'll understand the need to apologize. He'll understand the need to receive the same punishment as anyone else who has unexcused absences from practice. He won't understand if he's punished beyond that - if anything, it may make him leave. And that really goes counter to the idea of making him learn from his mistakes.

He screwed up. Now, let's give him a chance to fix it. Running him 'til he pukes or other, similar acts, isn't the way.

Hell, by the time he's back, he's going to be so far behind the others he's going to have a hell of a time climbing the depth chart. That's pretty significant punishment there - and it teaches him that he's not bigger than the team.

Hard to say without knowing what's going through Beck's mind. I think a short suspension is in order no matter what, though. No matter how many stars you have on Rivals.com coming out of high school, you don't just skip a practice on a whim and not face any sort of consequence. I think that message needs to be sent clearly, because, to sorta quote Bob Stoops in a different situation, it's for the better of the team.

But of course on the poll I chose public humiliation :D

I second the run him till he pukes. Then after that, run some more. Then apologize to the team and wash Zac Taylor's car.

Great idea! :lol: Though, seriously speaking, I think AR Husker Fan has hit the nail on the head.

Yes, he should be required to make amends - the first being an apology to his teammates. Should he have to run or do anything else? My thinking is that you punish him just as you would any other player who has unexcused absense from practice.

Most players who stop showing up for practice would get their scholarships pulled or some sort of heinous punishment like "running till you puke." Walk out on the team, disrespect the starting quarterback. I'm not really sure I'd like him to come back if this is truly his attitude. We'll see what transpires tomorrow.

Then again, if he was #4 on the depth chart, maybe he isnt that good. He has been praised ever since high school that he is the best thing since sliced bread, but he is only a 10% passer. The few opportunities he received, he didn't show anything.

I think the #4 placement was a result of his just coming off injury. Other QBs had more time to develop, he'll obviously have catchup work. Of course, when Joe Dailey wound up #4 on the depth chart, he upped and left for North Carolina. But that's a little different: he was recruited for a different system.

That Beck is a 10% passer is true, but consider. He was thrown, nay, hurled into the fire against KSU in a dire situation. He completed a clutch 20-yd pass to Nate Swift when we needed it. All good signs. And he played minimal garbage time against CU, but it was both minimal and garbage time - we haven't seen enough of him to downrate his performance in any way.

As for next year's QB, how about Joey Ganz?

Most players who stop showing up for practice would get their scholarships pulled or some sort of heinous punishment like "running till you puke." Walk out on the team, disrespect the starting quarterback. I'm not really sure I'd like him to come back if this is truly his attitude. We'll see what transpires tomorrow.

I don't think so; can you point to any specific examples? Even if you can, I don't think it's a good idea. When a kid is frustrated, you have to deal with it in the context of the situation. Not by beating them over the head and exacerbating their problems.

I think BC will hear HB out. If HB decides he wants to remain on the team. BC will give him a suitable reprimand and keep it in house. Its the players I would be worried about if I was HB.

Who knows, If BC is not satisfied with HB's explanition he could release him. Or HB may walk in and say,"coach, I would like to be released and transfere"

I think I have wasted enough energy on it. If Harrison wants to stay, I say we welcome him back with trusting BC will get his attention. If he wants to go, Tell him aloha.

agreed, but if he expects more reps, they may not be coming right away...if that truly is his beef, the coaches had a reason why Ganz was getting more reps ahead of Harrison....there is an urgency to get a 2nd tier qb established.....Harrison is behind......and may remain behind for a month or more unless he shows quick improvement....you play like you practice.....Cally needs to be honest with him and if he can't handle the situation he needs to move on......again, i am sure Callys' public praise and positive remarks (about Taylor's play) at the KC preview probably got to Beck...then falling to 4th on the depth chart tipped him over the edge.......oh well

hunter

I would agree that he disrespected the team by walking about, but I don't think you can exactly put his mom's words in his mouth at this point. Not sure if that's what you were talking about though.

I agree that his mom's comments were probably coming from a mother that thinks her son is the best thing since sliced bread, and not a direct quote from HB himself.

However the comments about the practice reps were most likely something that HB did say to his mom.

Reguardless, HB needs to get back into camp, apologize to the team and work hard to earn his spot back and realize that things are not going to be given to him.

Most players who stop showing up for practice would get their scholarships pulled or some sort of heinous punishment like "running till you puke."  Walk out on the team, disrespect the starting quarterback.  I'm not really sure I'd like him to come back if this is truly his attitude.  We'll see what transpires tomorrow.

I would agree that he disrespected the team by walking about, but I don't think you can exactly put his mom's words in his mouth at this point. Not sure if that's what you were talking about though.

No, you can't put his mom's words in his mouth yet, that's why I said 'if that truly is his attitude'. His mom might think her son is the best at everything and he didn't say any of that. I am going to wait to pass judgement, in that regard, till we officially know what is up. But the fact is, he flaked out and left the team for 2 days, Callahan needs to punish him other than burying him on the depth chart. He is already #4 right now, can't bury him any farther.

Most players who stop showing up for practice would get their scholarships pulled or some sort of heinous punishment like "running till you puke."  Walk out on the team, disrespect the starting quarterback.  I'm not really sure I'd like him to come back if this is truly his attitude.  We'll see what transpires tomorrow.

No, you can't put his mom's words in his mouth yet, that's why I said 'if that truly is his attitude'. His mom might think her son is the best at everything and he didn't say any of that. I am going to wait to pass judgement, in that regard, till we officially know what is up. But the fact is, he flaked out and left the team for 2 days, Callahan needs to punish him other than burying him on the depth chart. He is already #4 right now, can't bury him any farther.

Yea I would think that if he came back, he is going to have to face what he did. Whatever that means.