Beck's Next Move

GSG

once again, what do we (the fans and the coaches) take away from this experience? as for Beck, he was a high profile California kid......was already used to being in the lime light and treated that way......strike 1

look, guys, we are trying to run the most sophisticated offense in all of college ball...i said it from the beginning....no way was he gonna learn and command this offense in his freshman year, let alone get a real good grip before he was well into his sophomore season....he wanted to play now...strike 2

i REALLY think the complications of this offense deturrs kids from coming here to be qb's (hence our qb recrutiing probs)....they already can see the system will not be "watered down" for them so they can come in and contribute early.....so they are almost guaranteed to be on the bench for AT LEAST 1 1/2 seasons.....strike 3

so is Cally wrong in not simplifying the system? maybe so...... :confucius

i don't know, i am thinking Taylor is the exception and was able to quickly pick up the system.......i honestly don't think there are many like him......i am not defending Beck, but i think it is time Cally reevaluates the complexity of the system, especially for qb's........

hunter

Good points. But it didn't seem like Beck had the desire to do well. Sure, he wanted to, but he thought it would be handed to him, and he was horribly wrong. Could the playbook be easier to understand? Maybe, but still, this guy should have been studying that every night, asking questions, just trying to learn everything he could about the system.

The difference with Beck and Taylor as far as learning the offense is simple, concentration and determination. Beck was starting a heavy metal band during the season last year :wtf I think he was mostly thinking he didn't have to work because of his high profile out of High School, he could just sit back 2 years and then come in, I think there are plenty of QBs that can play this offense, just got to find the right kids, maybe not with the best arm, ex: Tom Brady, and have success, we need character not *'s

If someone wants to be there and be the starting QB (or any position for that matter), they'll find a way to learn the system.

and i don't disagree, it is just that there are better, easier opportunities at other schools who do not run such a complicated scheme.....i am not saying it is wrong, i am just saying the complexity of the system here, may well be hurting qb recruiting......i agree Beck did not work hard enough either....just looking back at the qb woes and why kids are shying away and changing their minds, once they comitt......you can just hear the other schools and coaches telling these guys (qbs) that want to play right away, that under NU's system, they will be buried for at least a year if not more....that is an easy sell to get kids away from taking a hard look at NU....i think Cally does need to change things up a bit, to attract and keep top quality qbs.......just a thought, based on what i have observed over the past 6-9 months....i am not defending any of the guys that walked on us here....

hunter

The difference with Beck and Taylor as far as learning the offense is simple, concentration and determination. Beck was starting a heavy metal band during the season last year :wtf I think he was mostly thinking he didn't have to work because of his high profile out of High School, he could just sit back 2 years and then come in, I think there are plenty of QBs that can play this offense, just got to find the right kids, maybe not with the best arm, ex: Tom Brady, and have success, we need character not *'s

:yeah Keep the offense the same. Get a QB with his head on straight.

Exactly, I feel that if anything it is a draw for kids to want to come and be a QB at Nebraska. Think about it!!! If you can master this system or even at least play okay in it, it will impress NFL coaches!!! Most of these kids want to play in the NFL one day and what better way to get there than learn the complicated West Coast Offense!!!??? ;)

Reading this thread I think that as this team matures as a whole and the talent level increases as a hole, we need qb's that can simply take care of the ball, and get into the hands of playmakers. Our receivers are getting better, our line is getting better, our running backs have the potential to be great. A qb just needs to help these guys do their job.

Exactly, I feel that if anything it is a draw for kids to want to come and be a QB at Nebraska. Think about it!!! If you can master this system or even at least play okay in it, it will impress NFL coaches!!! Most of these kids want to play in the NFL one day and what better way to get there than learn the complicated West Coast Offense!!!???  ;)

Because of this offense, ZT could be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. He wanted to learn it, studied hard, and now has it down. He showed how wanting to be great can make you great.

Hunter94, I don't think so. I think the highest rated high school quarterbacks are too prideful to let a challenge deter them. They'd be too prideful to say, "This is too hard, I want something watered down for me."

And besides, as a fan, I don't want any "watered down" West Coast, like they're running at, say, UNC.

But this whole thing with Beck shows that he's just stupid. What did he have to complain about? He was practically cemented as the future of this program. Does he think there's a difference between a 2-year starter and a 4-year starter in terms of future success? Ask Matt Cassel, second-stringer QB on the Patriots, who never started a single game for USC.

Still, all the better. Beck will not be a good QB, I think we can all agree.

He quit, I have no time for quitters. Let's talk about people who want to be here.

Truth.