pessimism

Aim9

Aim9, don't let the eternal (if sometimes unobjective) optimists ride you too hard.

Bowman's injury is a big blow, make no mistake about it. And you are quite justified in your concerns about how our D-backfield will hold up minus its best player.

Yes, having one of the great front sevens in the game today will help. We'll get away with the inexperience back there most games. But the teams that can best handle our pressure (USC, Texas) will give us problems.

It's a legit concern. Here's hoping that Andre Jones is the real deal, and that West, Thenarse, or even Spain can come through.

But it's okay to hold your breath when we face Jarret, Smith, Turner, and Hazelton come Sept. 16...

I remember Coach C talking about the fact that you really want a Offense that can grind out the 4 yrd run every down as well as the Offense that can put up big numbers when you are down. I think we have the talent in the backfield to get it done. With the caliber of linebackers and if the O-line jells we'll definately be OK. I think the safeties are big enough and def fast enough to really light some folks up. I think we will be ok in the defence. With an extra lb in the flats we'll cut down on the short slants and the Big DEs will wreak havic.

As Far as the record after this season. I Don't Care. I just want to get this started and watch these kids progress and be successful. I'll support them, watch them, hopefully make the trip to a game, love the huskers..... ect Win or Loose. Piss on the glass being half full/empty. My can of beer will be dam full!!!!!!!!!

:woo:woo:woo:woo

It'll take more than just Bowman's injury for this team to have a not-so-stellar year. That's for sure.

Does it hurt? Hell yea it hurts and it could cost us some points and maybe a game. But to say it costs us a good season sells all the other players way, way to short.

As far as optimism vs. pessimism, sure it's easy to get caught up in all the hype that perennially arrives in the spring and fall. We as Husker fans have a lot to look forward to, but I'm keeping my national title hopes on the shelf this year.

Although it was a fairly big blow, I do not think that losing Bowman will hurt the D as much as some people think. We have a pretty darn good passing offense (great QB and tall/fast receivers) to practice against (which we really have not had the luxury of in the past). Our front D should be able to knock most QBs timing off (unless we run a FN 3-4 the whole game). Bowman was good and would have helped a lot, but I think whomever repalces him will do just fine.

Also, f@#k Iowa State. I am tired of this "we play crappy in Ames" junk. This is the new Husker football. This team knows not to overlook anyone. Also, we don't have Joe Dailey behind center. If I remember right, people said similar things to us playing in Boulder and look how that played out. Bring them Iowa State pansies on!

Well, here is my source of optimism in this negative situation. Bowman didn't really play much till the 4th game or so. Tierre Green was starting at cornerback at a position that he didn't really fit. Safety is a more natural fit for him(and I think he will quietly have a strong season this year). The pressure that the front 4 and the blitzing LB's will generate will help compensate for the lack of experience in the secondary. A receiver may get open, but if the QB has no time to operate, it doesn't really matter. Losing Bowman sucks, no doubt. Most teams that end up with a conference title or national championship rarely make it through a whole season without losing a big time contributor. I am optimistic only because there are so many other playmakers on defense. Now, if it were Zac TAYLOR that was hurt, then I would be a lot more pessimistic.

The one thing that I will miss about Bowman is that he was quick enough and smart enough to play up tight with a reciever at the line to take away those five yard curl routes that we routinely gave up during the course of last season. It seemed like we never had a plan to stop that play until Bowman came into his own during the final couple of games. Hopefully we will have a plan of action for it this year.

The rest of the secondary got some excellent work last year during the season. I think they're going to step up and prove Bowman's loss isn't the end of the season. The media seems to be forgetting that. Besides it's gonna be hard for the opposing teams QB to throw the ball when Q or Carriker has him laid out on his back like he's their biatch! :horns2:horns2

*sniff*...*sniff*....You smell that?? I smell it! I smell some ass whoopin comin on! :restore

:horns2

Yes it hurts to lose Bowman. But it is a lot better now than next week or the week after or the week after. We have talent. Bowman was talent last year. He did not get his chance until later in the year. These kids are working hard now, 3 weeks before the first game. We have a ver good offense that is testing them day in and day out. They will be ready.

Sure we could get burnt a couple of times due to inexperience, but SC is in the same situation as we are and maybe worse.

Texas is the only one to worry about. A lot of time for them to get their ducks in line. They have the talent to match up with anything we have. We need to be positive about the SC game to build the confidence for the Texas game. I think we beat SC, if so, our chances are much better against Texas.

Keep the faith buddy. Were BACK!!!!!!!

Well, here is my source of optimism in this negative situation. Bowman didn't really play much till the 4th game or so. Tierre Green was starting at cornerback at a position that he didn't really fit. Safety is a more natural fit for him(and I think he will quietly have a strong season this year). The pressure that the front 4 and the blitzing LB's will generate will help compensate for the lack of experience in the secondary. A receiver may get open, but if the QB has no time to operate, it doesn't really matter. Losing Bowman sucks, no doubt. Most teams that end up with a conference title or national championship rarely make it through a whole season without losing a big time contributor. I am optimistic only because there are so many other playmakers on defense. Now, if it were Zac TAYLOR that was hurt, then I would be a lot more pessimistic.

That's pretty reasonable. As evil as it is, we could also cross our fingers for some key injuries to our opponents too. <_< Oh no! Adrian Peterson tweaked his ankle right before the Big XII championship... rats... I guess. I'm not wishing ill-will or injuries upon our foes and I wish them all the best, but I think everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Let's just hope that Bowman is the last big name on the Nebraska roster to be lost to injury this year.

Weakness in the secondary doesn't kill a program. It depends on how the team and the coaches respond to it. *Points at the latest Patriots championship team* Which, coincidentally, had a wide reciever playing corner...not unlike what we're trying to do with Fluellen/Spain.

Weakness in the secondary doesn't kill a program. It depends on how the team and the coaches respond to it. *Points at the latest Patriots championship team* Which, coincidentally, had a wide reciever playing corner...not unlike what we're trying to do with Fluellen/Spain.

Don't underestimate the importance of a good secondary.

I went to BYU - I can wax eloquent about the importance of a good secondary. That may be the #1 reason for BYU's mediocrity over the past ten years.

Don't get me wrong - we have talent in our backfield. We SHOULD be okay. But I'd feel much better if Bowman were healthy.

agree, a solid secondary is very important.........sure tacklers, guys that break well on the ball and have break ups........you need it all to make a strong defense overall....talent is one thing along with ability and athleticism......EXPERIENCE is the difference maker.........we don't have it yet, but the kids will be getting plenty of it soon......that is why it is vital we run the ball well and have good balance on O....we don't want to get in a "shoot out" with anyone......anything under 24 points (by the other team) should find us "in" every game we play.....

hunter