42 POINTS!?!!?

so...some dude on the radio today(b sports 590), said that the key to the huskers beating the trojans is to score at least 42 points. i can't remember his name but he's filling in for the regular host of "the big show". seriously...i question our chances in this game...but there is absolutely no way usc is going to drop 40 points on us. he went on to list how many points usc scored in each of their games last year...44, 78, 92, 66,..blahblahblah ect. question marks about the secondary aside....the black shirts will be amazing this year. better than ANY pac10 defense usc faced last year, and this year there will be no bush and co. for the trojans to count on. im saying if we can put up somewhere in between 24 and 34 this one is ours....but that remains to be seen. your thoughts?

I don't think that 42 will be the magic number for the Huskers. I look at the USC game to be kind of like the Tech game from last year. The Trojans will probally put up some points early but our defense will settle down and hopefully 28 will be enough points for the offense to score to come away from SoCal with a W.

I don't think that 42 will be the magic number for the Huskers. I look at the USC game to be kind of like the Tech game from last year.

Maybe you're right. I see it more as a back and forth battle with great defensive plays and some big Special Teams plays. I don't think that the game will be decided until late in the fourth quarter. Huskers will be ready. I think Cally is planning his practices with such upbeat tempo so that the Huskers don't come out flat like they did againt TT. Cally said that the team is playing at 90% of game speed, and the players have noticed the increased tempo. who knows, though? that "guy on the radio" might be right with his magic number of 42. :dunno

What do you think the line will be? I think USC will be favored by 8. should be a good game, though.

I agree with that assessment - while there's not going to be a magical cutoff point, the idea is our offense needs to be clicking like the Energizer bunny if we stand a shot. USC has questions on defense, I believe - they've had shootouts last year and lots of close calls. We have the defensive edge in the game, so all prayers will be on Zac Taylor and co working out all the chinks by game 3.

That said, our defensive edge is not THAT huge and they'll still put up lots of points on us, esp given the state of our secondary without Bowman. I think the Trojans will score at least 31 points in this game, so we had better fan the fire to put up a barnburner. If we fall behind early and get reckless...well, let's not think about that.

That said, our defensive edge is not THAT huge and they'll still put up lots of points on us, esp given the state of our secondary without Bowman. I think the Trojans will score at least 31 points in this game, so we had better fan the fire to put up a barnburner. If we fall behind early and get reckless...well, let's not think about that.

I disagree. We have one of the best front sevens in the country, and I don't think this D is going to lie down, like some in the past. This team is hungry, and I think they want to prove that even though Bowman is a great player, we can beat the good teams without him. :restore

As good as I think our defense is going to be, they are probally going to give up some points to USC. The trojans are still very talented and they will be able to move the ball. If our defense can come up with some key stops or turnovers during the course of the game, then I really like our chances.

I see a hard fought game with the Huskers pulling it out. Sc does not have the bush and co threats they had lest year. I am not saying they are lacking in high caliber talent. They will put some points on us but we wikll stop them more than they stop our new and improved run game and we will prevail in the 4th qtr. 31-28.

GBR

so...some dude on the radio today(b sports 590), said that the key to the huskers beating the trojans is to score at least 42 points. i can't remember his name but he's filling in for the regular host of "the big show". seriously...i question our chances in this game...but there is absolutely no way usc is going to drop 40 points on us. he went on to list how many points usc scored in each of their games last year...44, 78, 92, 66,..blahblahblah ect. question marks about the secondary aside....the black shirts will be amazing this year. better than ANY pac10 defense usc faced last year, and this year there will be no bush and co. for the trojans to count on. im saying if we can put up somewhere in between 24 and 34 this one is ours....but that remains to be seen. your thoughts?

I don't know, I say we win because our team really seems to want it.

But I just had to comment on your Avatar... Lamar... :rollin

USC's defense...well. They did play some good offenses, but they had shootouts there. 38-28 v Arizona State, 42-21 v Arizona. 34-31 against Notre Dame, 51-24 against Washington. 50-42 against Fresno State, and of course the 41-38 loss to Texas. Their uber-powered offense has been their strength. If that offense sputters, they aren't invincible this year.