Southern Miss series announced

NU Football: Southern Miss announces three-game series with Nebraska

HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) - Southern Miss will play a three-game series with Nebraska beginning in 2012.

The Golden Eagles announced Monday that they will play in Lincoln on September 1st, 2012, and September 5th, 2015, and the Cornhuskers will travel to Hattiesburg for a game September 9th, 2013.

Southern Miss and Nebraska have played three times, with the Huskers holding a 2-1 advantage. The Golden Eagles won 21-17 in 1994.

Athletic Director Richard Giannini says Southern Miss set an attendance record when Nebraska visited in 2003.

I'm not down with a Southern Miss series. If were going to schedule a non conference game it needs to be with a perennial powerhouse. Houston Nutt has got his work cut out for him and until there is a major turn around, we are better off taking someone like georgia or lsu out of the sec.

I'm not down with a Southern Miss series. If were going to schedule a non conference game it needs to be with a perennial powerhouse. Houston Nutt has got his work cut out for him and until there is a major turn around, we are better off taking someone like georgia or lsu out of the sec.

Larry Fedora (former Okie State OC) is the head coach at USM now.

Do not let USM's past success fool you as Fedora has changed the mindset of that school in just a few months. He went after some heavy hitters in recruiting and landed the likes of Deandre Brown.

Fedora has the luxury of taking PQ's into his recruiting class. So those guys from the south who may normally look at the JUCO or prep route will be looking at USM more and more.

You are confused on 2 points.

1 - Southern Miss is not where Nutt is at, he is at Ole Miss. Larry Fedora is the new coach at Southern Miss.

2 - for the 2012 and 2013 seasons we already have UCLA on the docket. Assuming Neuheisl doesnt get them on sanctions by then, they should be a very good top 25 team.

I like the add, it is a series that while we should win the games, the Golden Eagles will push hard, and the games shouldnt be cake walks.

The Golden Eagles won 21-17 in 1994.

I believe that was 2004 . . . in Lincoln . . . when Joe Dailey ran out of bounds on fourth down on our last possession. <_<

Ya he didn't even try to juke anybody he just simply ran out of bounds.......thanks Joe Dailey <_<

That is liable to be some pretty good games. Southern Miss is an up and coming program that is spending a lot of money on facilities, adding a new endzone section to it's stadium. It had arguably one of the best if not the best recruiting class in Conference USA this year and if they continue they will be a good opponent by that time.

So. Miss isn't a bad non-conference game but we have already played them. I would like to see us fill some spots with bigger names. I know in the future we already have UCLA, Tennessee, and Washington. But how about Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Boston College to name a few. But the biggest thing is alot of these other programs won't travel or just flat out don't play other big name schools in the non-conference(Mainly the SEC). But it would be cool to see us match up against some of these schools.

So. Miss isn't a bad non-conference game but we have already played them. I would like to see us fill some spots with bigger names. I know in the future we already have UCLA, Tennessee, and Washington. But how about Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Boston College to name a few. But the biggest thing is alot of these other programs won't travel or just flat out don't play other big name schools in the non-conference(Mainly the SEC). But it would be cool to see us match up against some of these schools.

We play one "name" noncon-team per year, been that way a long time and I doubt it changes any time soon. I'm just glad that now we are looking to add some decent competition rather than just pad the rest of the noncon with gimmies. That "Washington and three gimmies" sched we have coming-up is just sad.

Its a two way street when it comes to scheduling. If other big name schools do not want so schedule us, there is little that we can do. I don't know if many ADs are talking to TO about scheduling us but I am glad that we are scheduling teams like Southern Miss ahead of time rather than scrambling around to find an Applachain St at the last minute to just fill our schedule.