Big Red Hockey - will it ever happen?

I don't see why UNO having a team would stop us from having a hockey team as well. There is a Husker hockey club that plays in Fremont I believe. I know theres a rule out there that states something to the effect of women sports must have the same number of teams or more than men teams. Which is why we have 9 male husker teams and 12 female. I don't know exactly how it works but if we add UNL hockey then we might have to add a female sport as well. If that is the case then that might be the sole reason why we don't have a college hockey team. Or it could be the fact that while in the big 12 I think we were like the only school with a team. Now that were in the B1G we'll add a team in the future making it 10 male sports to 12 female sports if thats' allowed. in otherwords I don't have a clue but would love to see a UNL hockey team.

I wouldn't be so sure that UNO having a team will make a difference. The new Haymarket arena is being constructed to at least have a hockey configuration if memory serves me correctly. The Breslow ice complex will also be down in the Haymarket, so if they wanted, they would likely have a ready made place to practice right next to the arena. It would probably take a decent donation from the right donor to get it started. Not what Penn State had to decide to start their team, since the Huskers wouldn't need a new arena for it, but at least something to help get it off the ground. I think the case could be made for it, if the circumstances were right. And I'm not sure Title IX would come into play. You just create a women's hockey team at the same time you create a men's hockey team, and you've piggy-backed your solution. I do think dollars are the key issue, though. If the right donations could be found, I think the audience is there to be had in Lincoln.

As a side note, if you dig enough on the internet, you'll find the club hockey organization that basically houses all club programs that aren't established at the NCAA level. That's the organization that Nebraska plays in. Most Division I universities have a club level team in that organization. Not all, but a lot. I only found out about Husker Hockey after digging to see what level the hockey team my wife and I saw play at her alma mater when we were back for homecoming last year was in. Augustana in Illinois. The thing I found really interesting was we knew they had played a U of Iowa Hawkeye team, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the NCAA site. That's what led me to the other club team organization. Interesting stuff, especially if you're a big hockey fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know or have a guess on if NU will ever start a hockey team now that they're in the B1G? Just curious.

Ice hockey could be another revenue sport. It certainly is at Wisconsin. The problem is, you'd have to start up two teams - men's and women’s. When Wisconsin restarted hockey in the 1960's it was only a men's program, women’s hockey was added much later.

It's a great sport for fans. Last year the men drew 13,226 per game over 22 games at home for essentially a .500 team. In a championship season such as 2006/7 the team averaged 14,440.

The season opens tonight against Northern Michigan. In ice hockey many smaller schools, e.g. North Dakota, are major powers.

Mike Eaves interview:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WisconsinAthletics#p/u/3/vePpAMABdrE

Fun at the Kohl Center for hockey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl7wCczgNUc&feature=related

As was said, you'd need a major donor to make it happen.

Didn't UW come to Omaha last year or the year before for hockey? I can't wait for UNO hockey to start, so much fun!

Just checked:

NEBRASKA

OMAHA

UW leads 5-2-0 (.714)

In Madison ...................... 2-0-0

In Omaha ........................ 2-2-0

Neutral Site ..................... 1-0-0

Playoffs ............................ 0-0-0

Overtime ......................... 1-0-0

Largest win .........6-2, 12/31/99

..............................5-1, 1/16/98

Largest loss ...........1-4, 2/11/11

Last Five .......................... 3-2-0

Last 10 ............................. 5-2-0

Longest win streak ..... 5 games

..................... 1/16/98-10/12/03

Avg. goals for ....................4.14

Avg. goals against .............2.86

Date Site . . . . . . . . Result

J 16-98 Madison ........... W 5 - 1

J 18-98 Omaha ............. W 4 - 2

D 31-99 Madison ........... W 6 - 2

D 27-00 MilwaukeeB ....... W 6 - 4

O 12-03 Omaha ............. W 4 - 3*

F 11-11 Omaha ............. L 1 - 4

F 12-11 Omaha ............. L 3 - 4

7 games ......................... 29-20

*— overtime

W — WCHA playoff game

http://grfx.cstv.com...keyFactBook.pdf

Didn't UW come to Omaha last year or the year before for hockey? I can't wait for UNO hockey to start, so much fun!

Just checked UW's all-time records and I don't believe Omaha and UW-Madison have ever played.

http://grfx.cstv.com...keyFactBook.pdf

Go to page 44 of the link you just posted. Feb. 11 and 12 vs. Nebraska-Omaha. UNO won both games 4-1 and 4-3. One game drew a crowd of 15,137 and the other 10,111. I think Friday night's game was a sellout as Qwest Center only holds up to about 15,000.

I went to the Ohio St. and Michigan series the year before when we sold out and it was freaking amazing! Hockey games are a blast for sure.

Edit: Just checked this season schedule. We come to Madison later in October.