Huskers Streak as the Favorite - 1995-2001

Mavric

This is pretty crazy when you think about it:

Finally, the trivia answer: In which two games was Nebraska an underdog from 1995-2001?

Game one: Washington 1997. the Huskers were a 3-point underdog against the second-ranked Huskies. Remember, Scott Frost had his doubters after a shaky performance versus Central Florida. He played wonderfully in Seattle and NU rolled to a 27-14 win.
Game two: Kansas State 1998. The No. 11 Huskers had two losses and second-ranked K-State was undefeated. I don’t recall anybody north of the border holding much hope. Yet early in the fourth quarter, Eric Crouch hit Sheldon Jackson for a 30-24 lead and it looked like maybe, maybe NU’s stranglehold on K-State might continue for the 30th consecutive year. Things went south after that.
My source, by the way, is Covers.com. Aside from those two Husker games, what were the closest spreads during the 88-game span?
’96 Fiesta Bowl. -3 1/2 vs. Florida.
’98 Holiday Bowl. -3 vs. Arizona.
’00 Fiesta Bowl. -4 vs. Tennessee.
’00 Oklahoma. -2 in Norman.
’01 Oklahoma. -3.5 in Lincoln.
Quite a run, wasn’t it.

OWH

Ah the memories. I was at both of those games. Washington had the loudest stadium I have ever been in (including old Mile High). Also, I will never forget the KSU mascot (Willy the Wildcat I believe...) KSU was so convinced they were going to beat us in Lincoln but they fell short again. Poor old Willy was walking out on the west side of the stadium, carrying (almost dragging) his wildcat head and his real head could not have been held any lower. He was so dejected I almost felt sorry for him.....almost haha.

Ah the memories. I was at both of those games. Washington had the loudest stadium I have ever been in (including old Mile High). Also, I will never forget the KSU mascot (Willy the Wildcat I believe...) KSU was so convinced they were going to beat us in Lincoln but they fell short again. Poor old Willy was walking out on the west side of the stadium, carrying (almost dragging) his wildcat head and his real head could not have been held any lower. He was so dejected I almost felt sorry for him.....almost haha.

Not sure what KSU game you are talking about but the 1998 game was the game they finally beat Nebraska. Michael Bishop had a huge game, and Eric Crouch had his head almost ripped off with a brutal face mask that wasn't called.
  • Fire 1

Not sure what KSU game you are talking about but the 1998 game was the game they finally beat Nebraska. Michael Bishop had a huge game, and Eric Crouch had his head almost ripped off with a brutal face mask that wasn't called.

Well it wasn't that one then. Sorry, the memories are running together and fading a bit. Must have been in the years leading up to that. KSU was starting to get better and they actually started expecting to beat NU once in awhile. The game I'm thinking of was before they had ever actually won in Lincoln.

When I saw this on twitter last night my initial guess as the Florida Fiesta Bowl and the 98 K-St.

I could have sworn we were dogs to Florida, but I guess not.

I think the media just built that up to make a story.

Corso, Herbstreet, . . . .

herbstreit was not on the scene yet. Craig James was all about Nebraska back then.