What the (yoink!) was that kickoff all about?

After that squib kick, if MSU would've come back and kicked a FG to win, just think of how ballistic the fans would've been. The coaches were VERY fortunate that it didn't come back to bite them in the ass.

Riley brought up something similar postgame. He was actually talking about one specific drive that if they had failed that drive and lost, that would've been the talk of the fan base today.

His overall point though was that, Saturday, they did what they needed to do and they'll take it. I think that's a good attitude to have in a season like this. They've been beaten down all year by their own mistakes, great plays by opponents and iffy refereeing.

Just for one week, at least for me, I'm not going to play the card 'well, what if this had happened'. I think that's a good card you play if your team is 7-1. When you're 4-6, I think you have to try and take more positivity out of the wins.

Another head scratcher.....thought we were going to blow it again, glad we didn't.

Yup, there were several more sequences in the course of the game where you really just scratch your head and wonder WTF? The failure to ram the ball in on first and goal from the 4 with Imani Cross that turned into a pick and could have been pick 6 for MSU was horrible. That got boos from about 50,000 fans too who recognized the brainless calls immediately. The squib kick instead of kicking deep is really very tough for me. If they needed a TD, I could consider the squib theory. I think you squib kick with less than 10 seconds left and or no time outs. You are trying to burn clock and maybe even use it up with the return being the final play. In this case, they used a sum total of 3 seconds and got a gift of about 15 yards of good field position. Additionally, the biggest problem with unorthodox kick offs of any kind is that the often create unusual returns and coverage mix ups as the timing is often abnormal and can create big return possibilities, much like the cases where the kick returner mishandles to catch of the ball on the kick, often dropping it for a couple seconds, allowing the return coverage guys to respond and converge prematurely. This often leaves gaps and lanes in the field for big returns to be made.

The best strategy in my opinion is to kick off deep and out of the end zone if possible. You want to avoid giving the opponent any extra chances for 'big' plays. Kick returns tend to be 'all or nothings' and game breakers if the returner breaks through the initial wave/wall of would be tacklers. Let your defense get set up and prevent the big play. You want to force the offense to have to use several plays to move down the field, using up the clock in the process.

I know this is rather rudimentary and presumably is obvious to the readers but I am expecting perhaps someone who supports the squib kick approach Riley/Company used will explain to me and others what the logic is for using this squib kick. Of course, if the answer is that Brown messed up and was supposed to kick the ball differently, perhaps further down the field or in a different way or trajectory, etc, then that may be find and dandy. But, you better have a senior kicker who has a bunch more experience and lots of practice because you are gambling the entire outcome of the game on his ability to perform magic with the kicked ball. Brown, to date, has not demonstrated to me, he is that kind of special / gifted kicker.

• Fire 1