Shatel: After often-gloomy fall, Husker coach Mike Riley sold a vision

Saunders

Happy Hope Day.

National signing day is a national holiday, a national hope holiday. Nobody has a bad signing day.

Everybody has a good recruiting class. Hope is where you find it.

Even after a 6-7 season.

You want hope? Here it is, Husker fans.

Nebraska signed a recruiting class that ranked in the top 25 of two recruiting services and in the top 28 of two others.

This, months after a season of unmentionable games and memories you hauled out to the side of your street in a trash can — not the recycle bin, mind you.

Now, we’ve been down this sugarplum lane before. Bill Callahan signed the No. 1 class after a 5-6 season. But that was also five years after the last Big 12 championship, and the 1997 national title was still an image in the rearview mirror.

Bo Pelini had a few top 25 classes, but always after he won.

What Mike Riley and his staff have done here is noteworthy, and full of hope, considering some of the circumstances in 2016.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel-after-often-gloomy-fall-husker-coach-mike-riley-sold/article_a56975ac-7623-5e6e-a50e-d2367e89a6f5.html

• Fire 4

Is the irony in that Bo Pelini line intentional?

The rationalization of the media are incredible. They really seem to like Mike. Good for them.

Here's reality: this class is a solid one and very much in line with what NU will recruit more often than not based on our recruiting realities.

Riley and his staff had a roster full of classes like this one and went 6-7, with some awful losses and a great win.

It's up to Riley to show he can win more with this level of talent. If he can't, then he should go. Because top 15 recruiting classes aren't forthcoming, unless there's another rush of local talent during the next 4 years.

• Fire 1

The rationalization of the media are incredible. They really seem to like Mike. Good for them.

Here's reality: this class is a solid one and very much in line with what NU will recruit more often than not based on our recruiting realities.

Riley and his staff had a roster full of classes like this one and went 6-7, with some awful losses and a great win.

It's up to Riley to show he can win more with this level of talent. If he can't, then he should go. Because top 15 recruiting classes aren't forthcoming, unless there's another rush of local talent during the next 4 years.

I think it's reasonable to hold Riley and staff accountable.... starting with this year.

Almost everyone grants new staffs a pass on the first year of transition; not an excuse, but a reality.

By their own admission, last year they literally knew more about the kids they were recruiting than the Bo holdovers already on campus, since that was their focus immediately upon arrival.

I happen to believe this class is better already then the majority of Bo's classes because this edition seems more weighted to needs-specific.

Pass me the kool aid, but I'm guessing this class will pave the way for top 15-20 classes starting next year.

I think it's reasonable to hold Riley and staff accountable.... starting with this year.

Almost everyone grants new staffs a pass on the first year of transition; not an excuse, but a reality.

By their own admission, last year they literally knew more about the kids they were recruiting than the Bo holdovers already on campus, since that was their focus immediately upon arrival.

I happen to believe this class is better already then the majority of Bo's classes because this edition seems more weighted to needs-specific.

Pass me the kool aid, but I'm guessing this class will pave the way for top 15-20 classes starting next year.

DL was a major need this year, and it was missed on badly.

God, it's so funny that now people are talking in terms of recruiting rankings.... this class will pave the way for more recruiting classes in the future?

Letting alone there's no real logical or factual basis for that sort of conclusion, who cares?

• Fire 1

Letting alone there's no real logical or factual basis for that sort of conclusion, who cares?

If he had 50th ranked class I guarantee you would have had an opinion.

I happen to agree with you about the DL. I 'glass half full' portion of me is hopeful that the coaches believe we have enough horses in the stable (red shirts) that the gap isn't as significant as it may appear. Obviously, I don't know if that is the case.

DL was a major need this year, and it was missed on badly.

God, it's so funny that now people are talking in terms of recruiting rankings.... this class will pave the way for more recruiting classes in the future?

Well you, for one, must have at least a scintilla of "care" since you join in the discussion.

It’s there in the new Nebraska Athletic Performance Lab, where Epley has revived his performance index testing.

I'm glad to see this. I wonder if they will release winter conditioning results like they did in the past? Anyone know? Anyone?

Maybe at 50, yes. But only because it's funny to watch the recruitniks and the "Bo sucked at everything" crowds skirm.

Personally, I don't view anything between 16th and 40th it so (give or take some spots each year) as significantly different in terms of potential. Land in that range, and you had a Tier 2 year.

A Tier 1 coach can take Tier 2 talent to championships.

Question, do we have Tier 1 coaching?

Maybe at 50, yes. But only because it's funny to watch the recruitniks and the "Bo sucked at everything" crowds skirm.

Personally, I don't view anything between 16th and 40th it so (give or take some spots each year) as significantly different in terms of potential. Land in that range, and you had a Tier 2 year.

We had the best punter in the conf. this year. Who's coaching the punters?

Your right, Riley won the Foster Chicken Bowl championship over UCLA. See the underline, yes we do. Are all fans on board, nope. Some are hangers on.

Let's find out! Together!

• Fire 1