"Base Defense"

Zaimejs

10 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

Every play that ASU ran was an RPO.  The LBs had to watch first to see if the QB handed the ball of to the RB, if not they then had to move to cover their pass coverage responsibility.  In the Newby clip above, the QB was throwing the ball almost immediately after he pulled the ball from the RB's belly.  I am going to assume that a lot of teams will try to defend ASU's offense by manning up.  We probably didn't want to put our young CBs in a new system in that position this early.

Eh .... possible.  But I don't think that's really the case.  They threw it 68 times and ran it 21.  So there wasn't much R in their RPO.  I think it was more of a gimmick than a threat.

And why would all the LBs have to do that?  Did we need to assign all four LBs to protect against the run?  They just had the game on BTN in 60.  I only got to watch the second half but even on their last drive we had LBs doing nothing.  Not rushing the QB.  Not dropping into coverage.  Just standing there and watching.

Odd.

Perhaps if Diaco would talk to the media they could have asked him.  Not that they would have.  But they could have.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh .... possible.  But I don't think that's really the case.  They threw it 68 times and ran it 21.  So there wasn't much R in their RPO.  I think it was more of a gimmick than a threat.

And why would all the LBs have to do that?  Did we need to assign all four LBs to protect against the run?  They just had the game on BTN in 60.  I only got to watch the second half but even on their last drive we had LBs doing nothing.  Not rushing the QB.  Not dropping into coverage.  Just standing there and watching.

Odd.

They would each have their gap responsibility if it were a run.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Odd.

Perhaps if Diaco would talk to the media they could have asked him.  Not that they would have.  But they could have.

To me it looked like the backers were doing just that. They didn't even step into passing lanes well. 

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nope.  You don't need 7 guys for 6 gaps.  

And if we have to commit 7 guys to stop the run on a team that runs the ball 25% of the time and never has a TE of FB, we're in a world of hurt.

C'mon man.  You know they all have run responsibilities.  It is not like we had 7 guys in the box.  We were pretty much playing with 5 in the box.  Also, I believe that one of those guys was technically a TE (of the Missouri variety), but with our defensive personnel they were splitting him out.  I would assume against nickel or dime, ASU would have him on the line more and try to run more than 25% of the time.

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

By the way, Hansen was their QB most of last year.  His career high in passing yards is 424.  He got 415 against us.  His next highest was 393.  After that? 303.

I didn't say it was executed to perfection.  Our guys need experience to trust what they are seeing and to react without thinking.  

How many plays were those other ones?  The whole turn of events with the interception after a long ASU drive, safety, and long ASU drive for a touchdown added up to a lot of plays for ASU.  

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

Here's one thing that is concerning and has nothing to do with a vanilla defense.

Two separate plays.  Two different OLB.  Both literally stay in one place for an inordinate amount of time.  To stand there and do nothing is about the most un-natural thing a defensive player can do.  Why would they be coached to do this?

I saw this as well and was curious if they were trying to spy or something. Had no clue what to make of it. 

On 9/3/2017 at 11:31 AM, Huskerzoo said:

Do you remember Boise State? What about Utah pre PAC? Teams can still be good and not be P5. Similarly, Kansas. Good football teams are good football teams. Don't let arbitrary groupings lead you to forget that. 

So Boise State, who routinely beat Power 5 schools and played in BCS bowls is the example you are going with? 

Ok, well I'm going to plan on Arkansas State playing in a new years six bowl game

Clip looks like gifford/newby are slow in reading their keys and reacting even slower. A lot of thinking going on by the defense, especially the olbs, instead of reading/reacting. I played bandit/rover in a 3-5 which is similar to dog pos in diacos 3-4. Gifford should be taking read steps instead of being cemented in place, newby looks unsure of his read/assignment hence the extra few steps. No insight on how they teach their position but i would think they are supposed to take their two read steps and either pursue the run or get to their drop and find a man. Too much thinking going on