Dennis Claridge, Epitome of Humility, Dies at 76

Dennis Claridge, Epitome of Humility, Dies at 76

By Randy York

For me, there is one simple way to describe the late Dennis Claridge, who became a fabled Nebraska quarterback in the early 1960s. Claridge enabled and elevated Bob Devaney to make an immediate impact on the Huskers and in the process become a legendary college football coach.

Claridge’s intelligence, leadership and overall spirit personified the wisdom of the late C.S. Lewis, who insisted that humility is not thinking less of yourself. It is simply thinking of yourself less.

Dennis Claridge’s instant connection with Bob Devaney helped Nebraska football create a path to greatness, led by a man who was, in every imaginal way, the epitome of humility.

Claridge deserves a unique place in Nebraska football history. He not only led the Huskers to their first ever bowl win (36-34 in the 1962 Gotham Bowl in New York City), but also spearheaded the Huskers' first major bowl victory, a 13-7 win against Auburn in the 1964 Orange Bowl in Miami.

There's a good article at the link talking about the beginnings of the Devaney Era and how Claridge helped build the foundation that would become the Husker Football tradition we all know.  Everyone is familiar with Tommie Frazier & Ndamukong Suh & the players from the 80s & 90s, but not everyone knows or recalls the players who led us up to prominence from the nothing program we were. I highly recommend reading this article if you have the time.

Clardige passed away May 1st after a battle with cancer. 

• Plus1 2

I remember watching that Orange Bowl game.  I would have been 11 years old and knew about the bowl games and how big a deal they were.  Remember hearing the adults talking about how big this was for the Huskers to play in a NY Day bowl.  The win really did kick start the program and Devaney's career.

I met Dennis when his son was on a recruiting trip to our college and I was the host.  He was an awesome individual.  His son ended up playing for us.  I talked to him occasionally after our games.  He was always up in the bleachers with his headphones on listening to the Husker game watching ours.  After my last college game as a senior he came down and talked to me.  He said, "I remember you saying you had never been to a Nebraska game?"  I said "nope, but some day I will."  He said, "here are two tickets to the Oklahoma game."  I was absolutely thrilled.  Great memories of a great man.

• Plus1 1