Need advice from experts for a trip

Mr. McDuff

Ok Big Red fans, need some advice from the experts. I've been a Big Red fan for over 35 years .I'll be turning 50 next year and will be making my first trip Lincoln for a game (most likely with a buddy). It's on my bucket list so why not treat myself for my 50th. I  live in Rochester , NY, so their arent many Husker fans around these parts. Have lots of questions such as tickets. 

Tics- Buy them online or get from someone at staduim? 

Place to stay- any areas or places recommended?

I imagine tailgating is epic, anyplace specific, or is it everywhere is great.

Any can't miss foods,things to do, beers, etc..?

On 9/8/2018 at 2:54 PM, Mr. McDuff said:

Ok Big Red fans, need some advice from the experts. I've been a Big Red fan for over 35 years .I'll be turning 50 next year and will be making my first trip Lincoln for a game (most likely with a buddy). It's on my bucket list so why not treat myself for my 50th. I  live in Rochester , NY, so their arent many Husker fans around these parts. Have lots of questions such as tickets. 

I'm sure you can buy tickets at the stadium but coming from that far I'd probably get some online so you can pick where you want to sit and have them lined out ahead of time.

Staying in Lincoln is going to be expensive.  Depends on how long you want to hang around.

• Thanks 1

From a food standpoint most people will say get a Runza.....from personal experience they taste like they sound....so consider yourself warned. But to be a true Big Red fan you need to have one at least once, I guess. If your going to stay you might as well stay somewhere close to the stadium and just spend the money. The Embassy Suites or Marriott (Cornhusker) are probably your best options. 

You can tailgate but its a little different than most places and spread out in business parking lots. Do not walk around with an open container. Lincoln has done a tremendous job with the Haymarket district just West of the stadium and that's where I typically go and just hit the bar scene. But if you're looking to tailgate I am sure you can hook up with someone somewhere, especially if you know someone local who has a spot.

Lastly, give yourself time to walk around the stadium and take pictures. Depending on the amount of time you will be here you could go the day before or even after the game when there aren't 100,000 people doing the same thing.

• Thanks 1
On 9/8/2018 at 3:54 PM, Mr. McDuff said:

Buy online. You'll have more flexibility with your seating options and, since you're coming from so far away, you'll get peace of mind having them ahead of time.

Lincoln will be difficult and expensive so, if you want to stay there, I suggest booking far in advance. Plenty of people fly into Omaha and stay there these days, taking a rental up to Lincoln. I suggest comparing the costs.

@billdozer15 has some good advice above.

@billdozer15 is spot on here again. IMO, the 'Runza' itself is pretty gross - it's a meat pocket but a lot of locals love it. They'll also pressure you into eating Valentino's pizza (which, IMO, also isn't good at all) but it's OK if you get it at the stadium.

Gameday eats will be busy and I usually don't eat at any of the restaurants on these days... just tailgate food. The day/night before, people regularly suggest Misty's Steakhouse. I love Indian food so The Oven is one of my favorites.

• Thanks 1

There are several fancy new hotels in the Haymarket area.... book early. If you have the means to fly all the way over here from New York then go in style and get in one of those;...that puts you right in the action and walking distance to all the game day stuff.

Dont know about tickets but I’d have them before I come. 

• Thanks 1

I have had the pleasure of living in Lincoln for a few years and being a visitor the past 5 years when I head back to games.  There are good hotels all through town but you typically have to book them months in advance.  When I go to a game now I prefer to stay downtown as there is a lot happening there, but to get a reservation downtown its even more lead time needed.  With that said, a few weeks out from game time I would check the Embassy Suites, Hyatt, Graduate and Cornhusker every day as there are cancellations.  Also, some of those require staying Friday and Saturday night.  I just went to the Akron game and was able to book the Hyatt for Saturday night only and I was impressed with that place.  It's new, clean, has parking attached, and is kind of on the edge of the downtown area but close to all the new stuff built out.  The Embassy Suites is cool as its decorated inside for Nebraska and the band goes through  there on the way to the field.  If you stay somewhere outside of downtown you can reserve parking passes in advance on the Park and Go site.  I would recommend doing this instead of waiting until gameday.  

Regarding tickets, definitely buy them in advance.  I do stubhub and have had good luck even if I am paying a bit more.  I also prefer the West side where the sun won't be in your eyes all game.