Ruud or Octavien?

I know there are some discussions with this so I feel it needs its own topic.... anyway...

What do you think of Ruud being the #1 over Steve-O? I feel it's just for the first 2 games, limit his (Octavien) playing time, I mean he is coming off appendcitis (sp?) and he got knocked out so early in a gimmie game last year I think they are saving Steve for USC, also giving USC as little film on him as possible! They sounded WAY to happy with his fall camp and he was way to impressive in that Spring Game to not be starting so I think it is more of a strategy, let USC study us without possibly our best defensive player and in the mean time have a very capable guy step in. Either way they will both play a lot though.

The bottom line is I support the team and the coaches. Both of them will see plenty of time on the field. If the coaches see that Octo gets out on the field and is pulling a Farley Jr., then he will see more snaps. Same for Bo. The bottom line is both could be neck and neck.

In supporting the team, I support both players, and can't wait for Saturday!!

I agree with Octavien being one of the best athletes on either side of the ball, but I doubt Cally would not start him simply to "throw off" USC or any other team. As a coach you want to field the best team possible every game. They must have found a reason to put Rudd as the number one.

Personaly I think the depth chart is overrated, especially for this team because of the amount of talent and depth at most of the positions. The dry erase board will get its work this season. Steve O and the RBs will all see the field plenty and allow us to keep teams off balance.

:restore

I think Rudd has just simply out worked Steve in the past couple of weeks. It may be due to the fact that Steve had surgery just awhile back or maybe not. I don't think that Callahan is trying to get into a strategy war with USC already. We probally shouldn't look to much into this, because they will both probally see equal playing time and both do their jobs well.

With Steve having the surgery and losing the weight, it takes a while to put that weight back on, in a healthy manor, and to be physically strong enough, I think he will be starting by the USC game. Plus I would bet that we will see some 3-4 and 4-4 defense lineups this season, with the quickness of the LB and the lack of depth at CB we might see some things on defense that we have never seen before. All in all we have the makings to have one of the best defenses in the country. GBR