247: 23 Most Indispensable Huskers for 2023

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/article/running-back-rahmir-johnson-among-the-most-indispensable-huskers-211315160/  Rahmir Johnson comes in at number 23.  I don't agree with this at, sorry not a big fan of him.

I think Rahmir is a lot better than most give him credit for.

It is interesting that he's above Grant on their list, though.

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think Rahmir is a lot better than most give him credit for.

It is interesting that he's above Grant on their list, though.

Yeah I get that he works hard and the coaches love that but Grant I would say is a better running back.  I know he was in the dog house before the spring bc he wasn't on the team but now that he is back on I still believe Grant being the lead returning running back should be on the list.  I don't get why the local media has some type of fascination with him.  Doesn't have the size be a lead back in the big 10.  Yes you can put him in different spots on the offense but if he didn't play this season I don't think the offense would be so called hurting if he didn't have a lead role on the offense.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yeah I get that he works hard and the coaches love that but Grant I would say is a better running back.  I know he was in the dog house before the spring bc he wasn't on the team but now that he is back on I still believe Grant being the lead returning running back should be on the list.  I don't get why the local media has some type of fascination with him.  Doesn't have the size be a lead back in the big 10.  Yes you can put him in different spots on the offense but if he didn't play this season I don't think the offense would be so called hurting if he didn't have a lead role on the offense.

I thought he was perfect for the wingback type player they were claiming to make him into.  Problem is, the staff last year never really used him in that roll.  

Also, I'm not taking much of anything from last year (as far as coaching decisions) and projecting them onto this year.

I think he's a very talented player that is smaller than a lot of backs.  We have had success with players his size before.  Just need to use him right.

7 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

He has done very well when he's gotten opportunities.

Against Iowa last year he was BY FAR our best back.  Not overwhelming numbers but 12 carries for 52 yards was a lot better than the -1 yard the rest of the team combined for.

In 2021, he had at least 52 yards rushing in 6 straight games, twice averaging over 6 ypc with 2 TDs.  

He's not going to win any Heisman trophies with those numbers.  But given our offensive struggles over that time, he's been at least as productive as anyone we've had with the opportunities he's gotten.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Johnson is no way either of those names you mentioned.  But if you want to use his size to compare if to those names good Im just talking about a starting caliber big 10 back.

Pretty sure he was responding to the part where you said he didn't have the size to be a lead back in the B1G.  

So, no, you weren't just talking about caliber.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Every running back since Abdullah has been the very definition of dispensable/replaceable.

Yup. While those that have shown promise have issues (Bell and Washington) or injuries and issues (Allen) and left the team.

It could be argued the kid who transferred to NDSU while Bo was HC was jockeyed around with weight and role.

Then again, you have the NFL proving that pretty much every RB is replaceable. The Vikings just released Dalvin Cook, and the San Francisco 49ers have had one of the best running attacks for several seasons now, each year a different no-name, undrafted, and/or free agent as the leading rusher. When the first two RBs get injured, and they always do, the third stringer come in and puts up the same numbers. Seems like the offensive line and scheme has something to do with it. 

• TBH 2