Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?

On 8/2/2023 at 5:38 PM, Stumpy1 said:

People need to understand that USC hates Oregon bad enough that they would rather stay in the Pac12 or join the Big12 then have Oregon join the B1G.   The same could be said for FSU and Miami but FSU will welcome Miami if it allows them to join also.  FSU wants to up their academic standards and revenue and they wouldn't stonewall Miami to jeopardize that.  

LOL someone gets it. If USC was able to vote on keeping Oregon out of the B1G they would have done it in a minute. They are tired of losing to the Ducks and tired of losing recruits to the Ducks. 

• Plus1 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:36 AM, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yep, it's depth and big lineman as part of that.  No 275 lb. Pac-12 DL is going to cut it.  Teams get beat up in league play in the Big Ten and SEC.  We talk about Frost and Bo but I remember the chatter when Penn State joined they were going to dominate as well.  None of it happened.  I would say Oregon is the best prepared of the 4 but there will be some rough spots.  I see Oregon losing in Madison, Wisconsin in November because of the grind.  USC will have some difficulties even with the talent they have and Washington, UCLA will be rebuilding years for sure.

FYI: As to the 275# DL men, a quick look at the Nebraska roster lists 13 DLs at 275 or less. Oregon roster lists no one under 280#. In my opinion,  weight isn't everything, they have to be athletic as well, so actually I discount the weight comment above quite a bit. 

9 hours ago, GoDucks349 said:

FYI: As to the 275# DL men, a quick look at the Nebraska roster lists 13 DLs at 275 or less. Oregon roster lists no one under 280#. In my opinion,  weight isn't everything, they have to be athletic as well, so actually I discount the weight comment above quite a bit. 

Some of that just comes down to how positions are grouped on the rosters, and the fact that we have a lot of walk-ons that inevitably end up at DL because they aren't athletic enough to go anywhere else. Most of the sub-275 guys are edge players, which Oregon lists as OLBs and also don't have any 275+. A few young guys are also significantly heavier than their currently listed weight at this point.

But all in all I agree size is helpful (and Oregon has comparable size to Big Ten teams), but not everything. I do think the grind of Big Ten play will get to Oregon more than they think, but a lot less than it's going to impact USC/UCLA. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
20 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Some of that just comes down to how positions are grouped on the rosters, and the fact that we have a lot of walk-ons that inevitably end up at DL because they aren't athletic enough to go anywhere else. Most of the sub-275 guys are edge players, which Oregon lists as OLBs and also don't have any 275+. A few young guys are also significantly heavier than their currently listed weight at this point.

But all in all I agree size is helpful (and Oregon has comparable size to Big Ten teams), but not everything. I do think the grind of Big Ten play will get to Oregon more than they think, but a lot less than it's going to impact USC/UCLA. 

Good point on how players are listed, it didn't really  look like apples and apples. I hear a lot about the Big 10 grind, we'll just have to wait and see.

FYI: Being born in Nebraska, I was a bit of a husker fan as a kid. Lived in Wheeler county till I was 8.. not much up there other than farm land and sand hills. 

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...