Jeff Sims, the Offensive Struggles, and Overall Physicality

Zooming back out a little more:

Taking penalties out of it, the offensive line's play throughout the game was good enough to help us be in a position to where we could have (and should have) realistically easily finished with between 14 - 21 points when we actually landed at 10. Really we wound up with only 10 points because of the two critical false starts. Our ability to move the chains maybe wasn't "good," but it wasn't "awful." To me it was "fair."

We did move the chains to the tune of 181 yards rushing and 114 yards passing. And Fox threw up a stat that said Fleck was 0-for-something when his opponents ran over 150 yards, I think. So we're talking about going up against a good defense here, and we racked up 295 yards of total offense. They put up 251 on us.

What I really care about is whether our line is at least somewhat better than last year. And honestly it might be. Need to play a few more games to say for sure. But it wasn't what lost us the game.

• TBH 3

19 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I will point this out that just because we can all see an open TE doesn't mean the QB can see him.  

Oh yeah. Armchair QB is the easiest job in the world. I'm just suggesting the call itself wasn't bad, as it created a wide open receiver and a low risk throw in the end zone. The book on Sims is that he locked eyes on his primary receiver all game, and that's something he's gotta work on. That includes the coaches working with him. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh yeah. Armchair QB is the easiest job in the world. I'm just suggesting the call itself wasn't bad, as it created a wide open receiver and a low risk throw in the end zone. The book on Sims is that he locked eyes on his primary receiver all game, and that's something he's gotta work on. That includes the coaches working with him. 

I agree that play resulted in an open TE.  Just not sure that's what is was meant to do.  Because If it was he would have been starring him down and not the corner of the endzone.  I also agree he locked onto his main target way too often

11 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I agree that play resulted in an open TE.  Just not sure that's what is was meant to do.  Because If it was he would have been starring him down and not the corner of the endzone.  I also agree he locked onto his main target way too often

Most of the time defenders crash the TE standing at the goal line, but he's still usually a good option - big target, short throw, it's difficult to break that up because he can box the DB out. TE was probably the first read, but once he decided (very quickly) that he wasn't going there he locked on the second read:

The corner throw is only good if the DBs crash hard on the TE, it's a tough angle for the Safety. I'd like him to throw that to the TE unless the DB is literally standing in front of him, even if the flat defender didn't drop back I think the Safety would've broken it up. It was not well thrown, and was a really bad read as well.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Thereinlies the biggest issue to me: our biggest win is going to come if/when Prochaska can get healthy. Corcoran is not a LT, and while Piper is a fantastic ambassador for the program, Teddy getting healthy allots for Corcoran to slide inside to a more natural position. 

I would like to see more Lutovsky for Piper...hopefully Teddy can get healthy but I won't be holding my breath. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Zooming back out a little more:

Taking penalties out of it, the offensive line's play throughout the game was good enough to help us be in a position to where we could have (and should have) realistically easily finished with between 14 - 21 points when we actually landed at 10. Really we wound up with only 10 points because of the two critical false starts. Our ability to move the chains maybe wasn't "good," but it wasn't "awful." To me it was "fair."

We did move the chains to the tune of 181 yards rushing and 114 yards passing. And Fox threw up a stat that said Fleck was 0-for-something when his opponents ran over 150 yards, I think. So we're talking about going up against a good defense here, and we racked up 295 yards of total offense. They put up 251 on us.

What I really care about is whether our line is at least somewhat better than last year. And honestly it might be. Need to play a few more games to say for sure. But it wasn't what lost us the game.

That, and we're a blown replay away from having 17. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2